How am I supposed to find a good travel agent?

Sailkeywest

Yes -- there is no rule against posting your e-mail address -- you might consider setting up an e-mail just for this site.

My TA deals only with people here in southwestern PA.

From Community Guidelines http://www.cruisecritic.com/community/guide.cfm

"Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

"This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

"Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges."

With all due respect, I have long given up on TAs for most travel duties. I've not found one yet who seems to really understand what constitutes good deals on a cruise. My experience with TAs has resulted in horrid pricing.

An exception may be with higher end, small ship cruises. I have friends who booked exceptional cruises (and air) for huge discounts. Again, this is likely an exception.

I have booked 100% of my cruises via one particular internet cruise site and have never had a bad booking. Air travel is the same. We always arrive the day prior to embarkation to relax, purchase our wine, and (usually) enjoy some sunshine.

We found ours by doing the "cruise compare" that was advertised here on CC. Every cruise agent is different - you have to find one you mesh with and gives you what you consider to be value for your money.

Wouldn't trade ours for anything - so far has always saved us money and gives us some nice perks. Probably the biggest thing for me is that he always has wonderful and accurate information on cruise lines and ports - and he handles any hiccups along the way.

I really appreciate all of the responses (both here and to my posted email)! I posted on cruise compare and have received 2 responses, both of which are $600 less than what I have paid on HAL. In addition, one is offering $50 pp onboard credit, which is very appealing to me. I haven't called them back yet, because:

1) I have no idea who they are or how to find out if they are reputable.

2) I really wanted cabin 5090, and don't really know if they can get me that specific cabin.

3) I checked out the site for one and it will only allow me to choose 'open dining' and that does not appeal to me (I was told by a HAL rep that as a suite passenger, that my early traditional seating would be honored).

I think that I will take the plunge and just start making a few calls to the suggested TA's that others have used and see what I can come up with.

Thanks to all for the suggestions and support, it really is helpful! Our first cruise, we just went to the site and booked and didn't know anything about cabin locations, prices, nada! Wish I had known about CC then! ;)

to select the cabin you want and then transfer it to a travel agent. We found ours by asking friends and now we book exclisvely w/her although we check on line first to see what others are offering and make sure she does better.

to select the cabin you want and then transfer it to a travel agent. We found ours by asking friends and now we book exclisvely w/her although we check on line first to see what others are offering and make sure she does better.

How does one go about transfering it to a travel agent? This is an appealing option to me right now. Thanks!

How does one go about transfering it to a travel agent? This is an appealing option to me right now. Thanks!
Just call HAL reservations and tell them the name and address of the TA you want it to go to. They will give you a call-back number for you to pass to the TA ... who then calls HAL. Simple! :)

I have heard back from a couple TA's today, but haven't had a chance to call them back as of yet. So far, I think this one named Bonnie is my favorite, but still looking forward to hearing from the others. Am I allowed to say the name 'Bonnie?' :P

The only question I think is left to answer is, when I booked our trip, HAL assigned us to one of their TA's (without my knowing). Can this trip still be transferred over to another TA now?

Thanks to all for the insightful input. :)

Thanks, Fann1sh, hope they sort it out. I think the problems began when they changed the forum a year or so ago when a few people mentioned they had this problem. Some people said they were just able to click on "cruises" without any issues so I guess that's why things didn't change. ( I was beginning to think it was only me and that others had sorted it out themselves!!).

Earlier I posted this, after removing several posts for contravening our guidelines.

Check out this Cruise Critic article:

Finding a Cruise Travel Agent

Since that was posted a number of additional posts were made that have since been removed.

Please remember. posts that discuss TAs or sites that are linked to TAs are not permitted under our guidelines.

From our guidelines:

There shall be no third-party recommendation of travel agencies on any forums within Cruise Critic. General discussions regarding the TYPE of AGENCY to be used to purchase a cruise will be allowed, as long as no recommendations for any source of purchase are posted.

Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges.

If you have any questions about our policies and guidelines please feel free to contact me, my co-Host Joe (HostJoe@cruisecritic.com) or our Community Manager at Community@cruisecritic.com.

Thanks.

"Touting of your personal cruise agent or cruise line "personal cruise consultant" (or any other venue by which you purchase a cruise) is not allowed on our message boards. Postings that contain "tell them John sent you" will be removed without notice.

"This means you should not ask about someone's travel agent, nor should you respond in kind. Offering to email someone your travel agent's name or info is also not allowed, nor is asking members to email you for the information.

"Cruise Critic will remove violations of the "third-party recommendation" guideline without warning. Additional posts will result in permanent suspension of your posting privileges."

I am not certain why you chose to pick on me -- but I was NOT the first person to repsond to the OP!!

And I never mentioned that I would e-mail the OP or have the OP e-mail me or give the OP my TA's name.

As Host Walt has mentioned -- several posts have been mentioned.

Don't appreciate your picking on JUST me.

I am sorry if my question has caused anyone any problems. I just am new to using a TA, as I have always planned all of our vacations by myself.

It is difficult as a newer cruiser to know who you can trust, who will do a good job for you when you really don't know who to ask. Word of mouth is golden to me and after spending a few months on these boards, I know that people here have a lot of great experience to share with others. I understand why specific names should not be used, but as someone that is new to using a TA, I did not just want to blindly shoot a dart at the board and just hope that I picked wisely. Thanks to EVERYONE that took the time to respond to my post, your advice is valuable!

Working a lot this week, so hoping to have this sorted out by the weekend. Thanks again :)

P.S. Sorry if even by asking people to email me, if I caused any problems. I just was a bit scared to use an unknown TA and wanted a bit of guidance. :)

P.S.S. I have no idea if KK emailed me or not :P But you do give a great deal of wonderful advice to others on these Boards, and for that, a BIG THANK YOU!

Yes, you can override a TA transfer. As long as you aren't at final payment, you basically can do whatever you want.. (Since when does HAL transfer to a TA anyway??)

Host Dan

Back in 2005 or 2006 I had booked a cruise directly with a HAL PCC ... well, then I found a price offered by a T/A (a national member organization) and the price was some $500/person less than the HAL-direct rate. I called my PCC and she told me that HAL could not price-match but I could transfer the booking to a T/A ... and preserve my selected cabin, confirmed dining, and all OBC's on my booking. So, yes, it can and does happen.

I am not certain why you chose to pick on me -- but I was NOT the first person to repsond to the OP!!

And I never mentioned that I would e-mail the OP or have the OP e-mail me or give the OP my TA's name.

As Host Walt has mentioned -- several posts have been mentioned.

Don't appreciate your picking on JUST me.

Not sure why you think you're being picked on. My post was also deleted and I also didn't offer to email the op, didn't say to email me, didn't mention any cruise sites, didn't say what city my TA was in.

I was just trying to say that one doesn't have to be in the same state as a TA is, that communication can be done via phone or email.

why other agents can't be mentioned. There are lots of online companies incl. one that offeres you cruise to agents to compete sort of like a priceline for cruises and most airlines have travel departments offering cruises with bonus miles.

:(:(:(:(:(

Whogo

only quoted 1 person -- me. And didn't quote anyone else.

OH. Your post was right after Host Walt's post, so I thought you were asking Walt why you were being picked on. I didn't scroll all the way back and see that you were 'admonished' by whogo.

Now I understand your comment.

I am sorry if my question has caused anyone any problems. I just am new to using a TA, as I have always planned all of our vacations by myself.

quote]

CC is a profit based company, now owned by TripAdvisor. They have every right to set guidelines and conditions for posts. I may have discussed this in my mail to you. Please respond that you received that mail.

Bob :cool:

Archived