Jeep rental in St. Martin

Murphs

My wife and I are going to be in St. Martin the first week of March, and we are interested in renting a Jeep so that we can do a self guided tour of the island. Just wondered if anyone has done this, and whether anyone can suggest a company to rent from. Also, do they rent jeeps at the port?

Thanks

Mike

Sure, you can easily rent a car (you don't need a jeep to drive on St. Maarten), and rentals are pretty cheap. Gas isn't, but the island is fairly small, so you are unlikely to use alot of gas on just a single day of touring. Be sure to see some of the great beaches around the island, and perhaps try to make it to Grand Case for a great lunch.

My wife and I are going to be in St. Martin the first week of March, and we are interested in renting a Jeep so that we can do a self guided tour of the island. Just wondered if anyone has done this, and whether anyone can suggest a company to rent from. Also, do they rent jeeps at the port?

Thanks

Mike

Hi Mike -

We have rented a jeep every year in St. Maarten since 2005 right at the port. No advance reservations, and we always rent from Hertz because the vehicles are newer and more reliable and you can drop it off again right at the port.

There will be a lot of independant dealers at the port, but their vehicles are further away, and they are not well kept at all.

The island is relatively easy to navigate - there are a few draw bridges to let boat traffic pass - so be sure to leave lots of time to get back to the ship!!!!

There will be a lot of independant dealers at the port, but their vehicles are further away, and they are not well kept at all.
Understatement of the year. We rented a Jeep (psuedo Jeep like vehicle) years ago....let's just say there was a little more adventure than we had in mind. Granted.....we had a blast....but gas guage didn't work, along with most everything else....top didn't work so when the afternoon "liquid sunshine" :) blew threw, we got soaked.

Also, know that afternoon traffic is brutal. Get yourself close to the port later in the day to avoid stress. Finish "self guided tour"..a.k.a. , bar hopping... close to the ship.

Have fun....remember....left side of the road!!! :D

• 1 month later...

We have rented a jeep every year in St. Maarten since 2005 right at the port. No advance reservations, and we always rent from Hertz because the vehicles are newer and more reliable and you can drop it off again right at the port.

That Hertz is right by the port? That seems very convenient, as my group and I would like to rent a Jeep as well. Are the rates reasonable?

Any suggestions as to how to safeguard purchases? I've read on these boards that items should not be left in vehicles (even locked ones). What do you do with your stuff when your in the water?

Are the rates reasonable?

Well, I wouldn't say "reasonable". No one here can give you exact rates; you can go to the Hertz website and make inquiries. You can also e-mail them directly.

Any suggestions as to how to safeguard purchases? I've read on these boards that items should not be left in vehicles (even locked ones). What do you do with your stuff when your in the water?

Your stuff is safer in a locked trunk than on the beach. Just park, and swim where you can see the car, is my only advice. Yes you hear about stolen items because that's bad news, which always travels faster than good news. Our stuff was fine both times we rented.

Have fun....remember....left side of the road!!!

Nope - right hand side.

2736317980090485240xbHNpp_th.jpg

Understatement of the year. We rented a Jeep (psuedo Jeep like vehicle) years ago....let's just say there was a little more adventure than we had in mind. Granted.....we had a blast....but gas guage didn't work, along with most everything else....top didn't work so when the afternoon "liquid sunshine" :) blew threw, we got soaked.

Also, know that afternoon traffic is brutal. Get yourself close to the port later in the day to avoid stress. Finish "self guided tour"..a.k.a. , bar hopping... close to the ship.

Have fun....remember....left side of the road!!! :D

No, no, no.

St. Maarten/St. Martin drives on the right-hand-side, just as in the US.

gary

Archived