Cruise Rec for Female Graduate Students

freefallen

A looking-to-be-first-time-cruiser here. I feel waay over my head in deciding on which cruise trip to take so any help would be wonderful.

Details:

We are three/four female graduate students (20s/mid-20s and single). We'd like a relaxing trip on board (not too crowded, tanning, reading, music), but we also like to go dancing/bar at night and photograph pretty land destinations. We're pretty stressed during grad school so we're not looking for a trip that requires too much effort (physically, socially, etc).

We have about 8 days off in late March, and were thinking of a 5-night trip. We're located in Chicago, so we're not close to any ports really. So a cheap flight to one would be nice.

Oh, and we don't really care too much for crowds and drunken people. We're also not looking for "the one" ;) on the trip, just friends.

Thanks!

You'll likely have more fun in a Carnival nightclub and the energy level on their ships is higher than Royal Caribbean. You'll find more quiet spots on RCI and ship decor is not as loud as Carnival. Both lines have a broad range of evening entertainment venues. Both have live music and various activities by the main pool during the day. Inside cabins tend to be larger on Carnival.

Since you're up there in cold weather country be sure to fly to your port city the day before your ship leaves. That way if there are delays due to weather you'll still make it. Although the way the weather has been this winter any place can have problems. It's snowed here in El Paso 5 times this year - not a lot but an inch can really make a mess when people aren't used to it.

I suggest a 5 night out of a FL port. There are usually cheap flights to FL from Chicago. Perhaps RCCL or Carnival, as they have the most active night-life for your age group, especially on the shorter cruises. Also, there are likely to be TONS of people your age on board a cheaper 5 night cruise in early spring.

mnguy, which would that be? :)

Thanks everyone for the advice (especially on arriving the day before, thanks).

I heard a lot about Carnival, but I'm worried it'll be sooo crowded that we won't have any relaxing time? I guess RCI might be the way to go, though they have a lot of West Carribbean destinations, which we're not really too excited about.

I heard a lot about Carnival, but I'm worried it'll be sooo crowded that we won't have any relaxing time? I guess RCI might be the way to go, though they have a lot of West Carribbean destinations, which we're not really too excited about.

During the day the main pool areas will always be crowded on any ship sailing the Caribbean, unless it's raining. You will always be able to find quite space on any ship. During the day head to the evening venues, they'll be empty. During the evening head up to the pool deck. The muster deck (the exterior deck where you assemble during the muster drill) rarely has more than a few people on it. It's a nice quiet outdoor area to enjoy the sea, do a little reading or, sometimes, catch a few rays.

If, as it appears, you have an itinerary preference choose it for your cruise. Remember, the cruise line has no influence on your port experience.

A couple money saving tips from a fellow Chicagoan:

*Southwest often has the cheapest flights from Chicago to Florida - they only fly to Ft. Lauderdale (not Miami) but if your cruise is out of Miami it is still often cheapest to fly Southwest to Ft. Lauderdale and then take a shuttle to Miami. Also Southwest has no baggage fees which helps.

*As someone else suggested, definitely fly in a day early. This greatly decreases your risk of missing the ship due to a delayed or canceled flight - and is also a nice way to spend in extra day in warm weather vs. Chicago. I always use either Priceline or Hotwire for my pre-cruise hotel - you can get really nice hotels for dirt cheap. If you are putting two per room, use Priceline (it gets the best deals), but if 3-4 per room do Hotwire (as you can select a room that sleeps four with Hotwire but not with Priceline).

As for cruise line, Royal and Carnival are the lines that cater most to your age group. If you are able to do a seven nighter, Celebrity Solstice has lots of features that would also be good for your age group and is an absolutely stunning amazing ship - but it will be more $$$. Princess may also be a line to look into if the price and itinerary are right. I'd avoid Holland America and Celebrity's older ships for people in your age group.

Let us know what you decide.

I'm a life-long graduate student (it seems) and have been tending toward Royal Caribbean lately. However, note that the pool deck will almost never be quiet, especially during spring break in the Caribbean. About the only time that will be true is when the ship is in port and almost everyone else is gone. If you don't mind escaping the sun deck, however, there are always quiet places that can be found inside and out.

With all of that being said, I would suggest a 4 or 5 nighter on Navigator of the Seas. It is a huge ship with lots to do and it also has a dedicated disco and other nightly entertainment venues.

mnguy, which would that be? :)

Thanks everyone for the advice (especially on arriving the day before, thanks).

If you are looking for 5-day cruises out of South Florida, no one goes to the Eastern Caribbean; you must do at least 7 days. You might also consider Celebrity out of Miami, although I would opt for the RCCL Navigator.

Thank you thank you all for your wonderful replies! (Another Chicagoan! :))

Bare with me, this is a long list but we brainstormed a few possibilities. I looked at the RCI's Navigator but the dates/places didn't work out very well. My friend who is from Mexico doesn't really want to go to Cozumel, and that takes away from a lot of the Western Caribbean destinations.

Any advice on these would be great (I stuck in one Cozumel because the price is nice and so is Key West :p). We're trying to keep the basic cruise/flight price to under $500/$600.

Royal Caribbean International

4-night Bahamas (22 Mar, $319)

Ship Name: Majesty Of The Seas

Ports of Call: Miami, Florida; Nassau, Bahamas; Cococay, Bahamas; Key West, Florida; Miami, Florida

4-Night Bahamas Cruise (22 Mar, $322)

Ship Name: Monarch Of The Seas

Ports of Call: Port Canaveral, Florida; Cococay, Bahamas; Nassau, Bahamas; Port Canaveral, Florida

Carnival

4-Night Western Caribbean (22 Mar, $279)

Ship Name: Carnival Imagination

Ports of Call: Miami, Florida - Key West, Florida - Cozumel, Mexico - At Sea - Miami, Florida

6-night Western Caribbean Cruise (21 Mar, $379)

Ship Name: Carnival Freedom

Ports of Call: Fort Lauderdale, Florida - Key West, Florida - At Sea - Georgetown, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - Ocho Rios, Jamaica - At Sea - Fort Lauderdale, Florida

5-night Eastern Caribbean Cruise (22 Mar, $379)

Ship Name: Carnival Destiny

Ports of Call: Miami, Florida - At Sea - Grand Turk Island, Turks and Caicos Islands - Half Moon Cay, Bahamas - Nassau, Bahamas - Miami, Florida

Norwegian Cruise Line

4-night Bahamas Cruise (22 Mar, $299)

Ship Name: Norwegian Sky

Ports of Call: Miami, Florida - Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas - Nassau, Bahamas - Great Stirrup Cay, Bahamas - Miami, Florida

Celebrity Cruises

5-night Western Caribbean Cruise (20 Mar, $349)

Ship Name: Celebrity Century

Ports of Call: Miami, Florida - At Sea - Ocho Rios, Jamaica - Georgetown, Grand Cayman, Cayman Islands - At Sea - Miami, Florida

Archived