Riga and visby

Sunnydale

I dont know about any ATMs in the port area, but it is a lot of ATMs in old town and the rest of Riga. Here you can see a map of ATMs in Riga.

I moved here in 2007, and to this date still no issues with ATMs here. Only lost my credit card once because I forgot the code, and another time VISA deducted the same amount 36 times from my credit card instead of on one transaction. Got the money back a week later. This was actually a error by VISA International.

Norwegianlatvian - Wow, 36 times - that must have been a real (and unwelcome) surprise. That reminds me of a ? I had: My VISA doesn't have a chip or pin. That seems to be problematic in Denmark. Can I assume that in Latvia it's not? For this I'm talking about using a credit card in a machine like a ticket kiosk, cafe or the like - guess I'll have to go to a currency exchange or use my one debit with pin card to get money at ATMs.

Harry, I have in my notes, and assume it's correct, that there are ATMs and a currency exchange place in the Riga terminal where all cruise ships dock. However, when I clicked on the site Norwegianlatvian provided (thanks!!) it does not show anything for the immediate docking area, which is near Eskporta, so I'm not positive that's accurate. However, if you really click and click and click on the map to enlarge it in the area of the most blobs, head down towards the right side of the river and Old Town, and look for Eksporta (hope I'm spelling that right), it shows there is a bank ATM at Republikas laukums (laukums is a square), and it looks to be very close to the dock location on the way to Old Riga.

Are you going to Gyndia/Gdansk? I have been trying to see if the same is true there (Gydnia) but so far, unless someone recent pops up and tells me there has been a change, the answer is that there is no way to exchange money at the terminal - only in Gydnia by the train station. That's not a huge deal, as I can apparently take a cab to Gydnia train station and pay U.S. dollars, but I was hoping to take the bus, which requires zlotys.

First of all, in the ATM map, which Norwegianlatvian provided, you can find only ATMs by three biggest banks in Latvia. But there are more ATMs by other banks. Finding one should not be a problem. Also exchange offices in Old Town area are plenty.

However, not having a PIN code might be a problem, because all ATMs are requesting it. Also in most of the shops they will need a PIN, at least they always use machines, where you need a card with chip and PIN. Probably they can accept your card as well, but I see it very rare - most people in Latvia has their PIN :)

Zaone, I meant to thank you earlier for this info, which I've digested, and added to my notes!

I'll save the lighthouse for if I ever get back to Riga! Also, just for information, when a lighthouse site is mentioned as being "open" as it was on what I read, that usually only means that you can go up or close to it (at best!) Sometimes they are in industrial or restricted areas, and sometimes on land that is hard to get to, but I'm always curious about them just in case I can visit and/or see them.

Yes, we have chipless cards in the U.S. - we're a little behind the times, I guess!

If anyone reading this (I know the post started a while ago) and wants to do an art nouveau tour, those links provided have great walking tours along with the descriptions (thanks!)

Also, I found this reference to a 2-hour bus tour of Old Riga (not necessarily just art nouveau), reasonably priced (as opposed to most ship's excursions!) that leaves from the House of Blackheads: amber@neonoet.lv. This was from a library book I got which was a bit old, but just thought I'd throw it out in case anyone is looking for something like that.

I am so happy to find this thread! As many have mentioned, information on Riga is not overly abundant. My husband and I just booked a cruise that stops in Riga, and I want to learn all I can. The reason? We both have ancestors on our mother's sides from Riga, so it is a place that has special interest for us. We definitely plan to do the typical exploration of the Old Town and places that have been discussed previously in this thread. In addition, however, we are interested in learning about the Jewish history in Riga. Our ship does not yet have the excursions listed, but they have offered a Jewish history type of excursion in the past, and I expect they will again. Is there enough left in Riga of Jewish history to make this part of our visit to Riga? Or is our time best spent elsewhere? What I would really love to do is find a private guide who could take us to the important Jewish sights as well as all of the other important sights in Riga, but I haven't been able to find a name or recommendation for a private guide. Can anyone recommend such a special person, please? If you have experience with the sights for the Jewish history of Riga, please enlighten me.

Thanks,

Shelley

Hi Shelley. I'm not Jewish, so I don't know much about Jewish sites of interest in Riga. However, I THINK there are some in what's called the Moscow area of Riga, which sounds like a very interesting section of Riga (mixed architecture, etc.) I don't think it's far from Old Town.

The best site I've found for Riga is inyourpocket.com; click on Riga and download the guide, which includes a lot more than is listed on the web site. The downloaded guide covers just about anything you might want to know about Riga (although I'm sure there is MORE, but on a cruise, you will only have a day and not need MORE! The guide is updated every few months. You might find a tour guide listed in there, or if not, maybe a tourist information office you could call. I would think, however, that you wouldn't want to hire just any taxi driver you may run into, and of course, someone to take you around is no good if the person doesn't speak much English!

I am planning to walk around the art nouveau area (Alberta iela and Elizabetes), Old Riga, see the beautiful Nativity Church and Esplanade Park, plus go to the Central Market.

Maybe our local friends will see this and help you out with ideas. In the mean time, I would go to inyourpocket.com and snoop around. (Did you book on Oceania, by chance? If so, you could look at their current "Baltic Treasures" cruises to see what shore excursions they're offering.)

Because of the policy of this board, I am not allowed to give you any tips about local tours. I think this is sad, since it seems that Zaone and myself is the only one in this forum that lives in Riga and can help you guys out with local issues. Neither Zaone or me work with tourist related issues, so we dont got any economical interest in giving advices here on CruiseCritic.

When it comes to tours, I strongly suggest you to check out one mayor web page that is about reviews for hotels etc. I even believe it is in cooperation with CruiseCritic. On that web page you will see what kind of tours other tourists has recommended.

Jewish heritage: Actually, couple of days ago I saw a cruise company operated bus with the sign "Jewish heritage tour" in its front window, so check with your cruise operator.

Other Jewish sights I know about is:

The Jewish Museum of Riga (Skolas Iela (street) 6 )

Great Choral Synagogue Memorial (Gogola iela 14). Important: Dont go here alone, take a taxi or go with guide. It sometimes can be a bit "unfriendly" area..

Rumbula Forest. (it is 10-15 min with taxi out of Riga center).

Salaspils Memorial Ensemble (outside Riga. VERY touching site.)

Jewish heritage: Actually, couple of days ago I saw a cruise company operated bus with the sign "Jewish heritage tour" in its front window, so check with your cruise operator.

Other Jewish sights I know about is:

The Jewish Museum of Riga (Skolas Iela (street) 6 )

Great Choral Synagogue Memorial (Gogola iela 14). Important: Dont go here alone, take a taxi or go with guide. It sometimes can be a bit "unfriendly" area..

Rumbula Forest. (it is 10-15 min with taxi out of Riga center).

Salaspils Memorial Ensemble (outside Riga. VERY touching site.)

Norwegianlatvian, that bus you saw was probably from the cruise line we are using. They are in the Baltic right now and are offering an excursion called "Jewish Heritage Tour" going to at least several of the sights you mention!

Thanks for all your info. I'm trying to organize my info and if I have any further questions I'll post again.

Thank you so much for this information. I really appreciate the help in finding my ancestral history. Has anyone reading this thread ever taken the "Jewish History Tour" with a cruise ship shore excursion? We ordinarily try to stay away from ship's shore excursions and prefer either private guides, small group tours or doing it on our own, but this may be the best way to find the Jewish history in Riga (especially if we need to enter areas that may be a little sketchy). To answer Roothy 123's question, we are on the Regent Voyager. Regent is all-inclusive, so if they offer a Jewish History Tour, it will be included with the price of the cruise - another reason to consider participating. If anyone has any experience with this tour (either on Regent or any other line, as I expect it's the same tour on all the cruise lines), I would appreciate hearing from you. Was it worthwhile? What did you see, and how long did you stay at each sight? Is there still much to see from the historical Jewish community?

Thanks so much!

Shelley

If you don't get feedback on tours here, you might try posting in Regent's section on Cruise Critic - or even Oceania's, as they are a well-traveled bunch of people who love responding on Cruise Critic! Unfortunately, I don't think all that many cruise lines go to Riga, but hopefully SOMEONE who has toured there will respond!

Have fun exploring your history. We went to Prague 2 years ago, which is a fantastic city to visit. It was especially interesting to me because I had ancestors from there.

Thanks so much. I will definitely post with Regent and Oceania, and as we are avid Crystal cruisers, I will post there too.

I'm glad you had a wonderful experience in Prague. My husband and I did a land trip (about killed us -- cruising is so much easier!) last September to Prague, Budapest and Vienna. It was extraordinary! My favorite was definitely Prague -- so magical. There's no place like it, and I definitely intend to revisit.

Thanks,

Shelley

Yes, my husband and I absolutely loved Prague. The whole trip was wonderful - land plus river cruise (Viking River Cruises) that went from Paris to Prague, with Germany (which I've always loved) and Luxembourg City (beautiful) in between. Super itinerary, and of course, river cruising is wonderful, as you see a lot of the smaller places that I love more than the big cities, and see lots of great scenery along the water.

It's a good thing my "son" (he has 4 legs) doesn't want to go to college, as I'm quickly spending his inheritance on travel - but it's my #1 passion, and after working all my life and saving a lot, I deserve it. Have never been on Regent, but I hear it's similar to Oceania (except for the all-inclusive part, which would be overpaying for us, as we don't drink, like to go off on our own in port (subway, bus, whatever), etc. ) Haven't been on Crystal, either, although our travel agent says we might want to try it. My husband is SO faithful to Oceania (and I love it as well) that I don't think I'll ever be allowed to get on another ship unless it's Oceania or Viking River Cruises! Actually, I may not ever be allowed to do a land trip again, but....

Just a small warning: It is not always the biggest cruise ships docks right next to the old town of Riga. Especially when it is other ferries coming the same day. Like today, Riga is full of tourists. 2 ferries and 1 cruise ship. In old town it was aprox 95% tourists. 85% was probably from these 3 ships.

Wow, Norwegian - very busy day! Quick question. A previous poster referred to docking north of Vansu tilts along 11 Novembre Krastmala. Is that the little street that runs along the dock location - runs into Eksporta iela? All cruise ships dock in the same place, right, or at least the big ones (not necessarily river cruises)? I just want to make sure I understand where we'll be docked. And the ferries dock there, too, right, from what you said above?

Also, I doubt I'll have time for this, but it sure sounds fun, so thought I'd ask: I've read about the Sand Sculpture Park. I see there are trams, but would prefer to take that "Mississippi" boat from Akman's bridge if it's faster. However, do you know how long it takes to get there, and whether the boats run all day? I found info, but the way it was translated by Google, it was a little confusing.

Thanks, as usual, for your wonderful help!

First of all, as we found out today - not all ships dock close to Vansu bridge. For example today Jewel of the Seas was docked somewhere up the river a bit further away from Old Town. I guess it was somewhere in Andrejsala region (Andrejostas street), but I am not sure. It must still be somewhere close to Eksporta street.

I guess you mean these sand sculptures:

http://www.makeart.lv/en/how-find-us

If I would have to get there from the ship, then I would walk across the bridge: ~20 minutes from Blackheads building, ~30 min. from ship.

My 2nd choice would be a tram or bus from the stop close to Occupation museum. You should get out on next stop and walk a bit back to the river.

Sculptures are located on kind of mole/jetty (not sure which word is more appropriate) between both shores of river, but you can access it only from left shore.

"Mississippi" boat definitely is not the fastest option, but you get a beautiful view of Old Town. Although, you get a great view also from the bridge, so I would suggest walking. It is really not that far.

Thanks (again) Zaone. If you look at http://www.rop.lv/en/ (that's English version, but assume you can just drop off the /en/ if you prefer!) your city is doing quite well in attracting cruise ship passengers!

The list shows my ship as the only one in town on the day we're there, so I'm happy about that. I suppose many people in Riga are, too, except for those who depend upon tourist dollars! I don't think it says where we'll dock, but I will assume it's near Eksporta. I think Jewel is one of the larger ships, so perhaps she needs a longer pier! Mine (Marina) is medium-sized.

Thanks for the info on the sand castles. I didn't realize it was such a short distance to there - best to just walk. I had planned to walk at least part-way over the bridge anyway to see the castle and city from there.

Sorry, my mistake - it was actually Vision of the Seas and last year it used to dock right next to Eksporta street only few hundred metres away from Vansu bridge, just like most of the ships are. I am pretty sure you will dock the same place.

About sand sculptures. I crossed the bridge by tram today and I saw few of them and to be honest - not very impressive, at least from the distance. But if you have enough time and willingness to walk, then why not go down there. Anyway, I suggest you to go at least to the middle of Akmens bridge to see panorama of Old Town.

Sorry, my mistake - it was actually Vision of the Seas and last year it used to dock right next to Eksporta street only few hundred metres away from Vansu bridge, just like most of the ships are. I am pretty sure you will dock the same place.

About sand sculptures. I crossed the bridge by tram today and I saw few of them and to be honest - not very impressive, at least from the distance. But if you have enough time and willingness to walk, then why not go down there. Anyway, I suggest you to go at least to the middle of Akmens bridge to see panorama of Old Town.

Thanks; I probably won't have time to go all the way across the bridge to see the sand sculptures, but I definitely plan to go halfway to see the view of Old Town!

• 2 weeks later...
I hope someone can answer my question ...

What is the cost to enter the Botanical Gardens? I can't seem to find this information anywhere.

Thanks in advance!

If you are asking about the botanical garden in Visby - it is free (and beautiful)!

Archived