? About tipping on NCL from newbie

moopdog

Extremely new here - it's my first post as a matter of fact, so be patient with me!

I am taking my family of 4 on the Norwegian Gem the week of March 20th. I noticed that NCL has automatic tipping, but somehow got the impression that we don't HAVE to tip that way. In other words, they automatically tally it up, but we can redo it according to our wishes if we want to. Is that the case? How does it work??

Also, I see on their website that I can take a peek at the excursions, but I don't see a price breakdown. Anyone know how I can access this?

TIA ~

If you use the auto-tipping , or give cash then the money ends up the same place.

If you don't have the auto-tip the crew need to hand up their tips to the tip pool.

So just leave the auto-tip in place and everyone including yourself will have an easier time.

Could I make a recommendation for your as you are new to the boards? Trying using the search tool and look up this topic. I recall tipping being mentioned a couple of times in the past.

Seriously though, the answer is yes, you can have the daily service charge (DSC) removed or adjusted with just cause at the front desk. If you choose to allocate your tips personally, it would be nearly impossible to determine whom is serving you when and where. The Freestyle environment is not conducive to personally tipping. The auto tip method is far better in properly allocating gratuities.

Curious why you ask though and what prompts the query.

Could I make a recommendation for your as you are new to the boards? Trying using the search tool and look up this topic. I recall tipping being mentioned a couple of times in the past.

Search is good, but if you scan through the postings from the past few days, you will find this topic and many others covered.

Extremely new here - it's my first post as a matter of fact, so be patient with me!

I am taking my family of 4 on the Norwegian Gem the week of March 20th. I noticed that NCL has automatic tipping, but somehow got the impression that we don't HAVE to tip that way. In other words, they automatically tally it up, but we can redo it according to our wishes if we want to. Is that the case? How does it work??

Also, I see on their website that I can take a peek at the excursions, but I don't see a price breakdown. Anyone know how I can access this?

TIA ~

You can go into their website with your reservation and search excursions. They give you prices and you can reserve them. I am also sure a TA would know if you booked through them. I am sure you can increase your tips if you choose to give more for good service. Just talk to pursers desk. Or you can give envelops personally to crew you have been very happy with. I think the pool thing is not really cool. If I give cash to someone, it is supposed to be for them only.

TIA ~

They do automatically tally it up..and yes, children are included in the $10 per person per day expected tip. And that DOES add up to a lot of money all due at once -- at the end of your cruise.

If you choose to re-do it, you have to go to the pursers desk and explain why you want to change it. Usually folks think they want to change it because it's too much $$, or they don't want to pay for their children, or they think they can only tip those folks they feel "deserve" it.

So if you're willing to tip every waiter who serves you, in the main dining rooms and in any of the other dining venues (buffet, cafe, snack bars, specialty restaurants) for every meal (not just dinner in the main dining room), and willing to tip your room stewards who will clean your room every day, twice a day, picking up after you and your family, keeping your bed made even if you take an afternoon nap, and you're willing to tip all the behind-the-scenes folks who set the tables, clean up the tables, prepare some of the food before it's served to you... and so on..

then yes, you can go to the pursers desk, explain all that, and spend part of your vacation tracking down all those folks and making sure they're tipped appropriately.

Or you can choose to not tip at all. Some folks do.

The complications of chasing down everyone..or not tipping everyone who is part of the tip pool..or not tipping at all...is the reason that cruise lines have gone from the "voluntary" tipping method used in the past to having folks pre-pay, or auto-pay, or in NCL's case, call it a "service charge".

As for excursions -- "pretend" book one -- keep clicking on it to the end (but before you enter your credit card)..and the price should come up.

They do automatically tally it up..and yes, children are included in the $10 per person per day expected tip. And that DOES add up to a lot of money all due at once -- at the end of your cruise.

If you choose to re-do it, you have to go to the pursers desk and explain why you want to change it. Usually folks think they want to change it because it's too much $$, or they don't want to pay for their children, or they think they can only tip those folks they feel "deserve" it.

So if you're willing to tip every waiter who serves you, in the main dining rooms and in any of the other dining venues (buffet, cafe, snack bars, specialty restaurants) for every meal (not just dinner in the main dining room), and willing to tip your room stewards who will clean your room every day, twice a day, picking up after you and your family, keeping your bed made even if you take an afternoon nap, and you're willing to tip all the behind-the-scenes folks who set the tables, clean up the tables, prepare some of the food before it's served to you... and so on..

then yes, you can go to the pursers desk, explain all that, and spend part of your vacation tracking down all those folks and making sure they're tipped appropriately.

Or you can choose to not tip at all. Some folks do.

The complications of chasing down everyone..or not tipping everyone who is part of the tip pool..or not tipping at all...is the reason that cruise lines have gone from the "voluntary" tipping method used in the past to having folks pre-pay, or auto-pay, or in NCL's case, call it a "service charge".

As for excursions -- "pretend" book one -- keep clicking on it to the end (but before you enter your credit card)..and the price should come up.

It's been $12 per person (including chidren age 3 and up) per day for some time

TIA ~

Tia, welcome to CC. You are going to get a lot of answers here as this is a topic often discussed and debated. I will not judge but will explain a couple things to you: the auto tipping is being used by most lines right now. You can adjust them but would have to have a very good reason if you are thinking of adjusting downward. The only reason to even think about this is if your service is sub par. If that is the case you need to discuss it with the dept head. If still you are not satisfied, then, yes, you can remove some of it, but remember, it is like tipping in a restaurant, the crew depends on tips for most of their salary and $12 a day per person isn't all that much when you consider all they do to make your cruise a good experience. That being said, if you want to tip extra, which some people do, you can just ask for envalopes and put a little something in them the last night. Also remember if you are using the kids club, the councilors are not part of the tip pool so normally a little extra for them is a nice thing to do.

Enjoy your cruise..

Nita

Re: EXCURSIONS

to give you an idea of what is available at each port go to NCL's website and you will see a tab called shore excursions, click on this. on the page that opens up on the right hand side you will see 'select a destionation' and 'ports of call'. select either and a list of the available excursions will appear with details including adult and child costs as well as duration

as an alternative log in to NCL's website or register and enter your cruise details/booking reference and again follow the above but this time click on view details of the excursion you are interested in and on the page that opens there should be a button to book.

excursions through NCL are not pre-paid but pre-booked and the cost is added to your onboard account. excursions booked through other companies may require payment upfront and may not include child prices.

hope this helps

GOOD LUCK on your cruise, we are soon to be doing our first cruise and the excitement continues to build

Archived