Adventure Ocean Kids vs Teen Program Question

panzafit

We will be going on the Monarch of the Seas 2/26. We are bringing my 11 year old daughter. After reviewing the differences in activities in the 9-11 year old group and the 12-14 year old group, I would rather my daughter be included in the 12-14 year old group (in fact she has told me she does not like any activities in the 9-11 year old group) My daughter is in middle school and interacts with the 12-14 year olds daily (she is youngest in her class due to where her birthday falls, most her grade is already 12).

How strict is Royal Carribean in their age groups? Can I request that she be placed in the 12-14 year old (Teen) group or will they make her be in the 9-11 year old group because of her birthdate?

RCCI in general is pretty open to considering requests for minor changes in age categories. The staff of each ship can vary, with some ships more or less likely to allow an age group change. The numbers of kids participating in the program can also be a contributing factor as to what moves they will allow. You will need to made the request to the staff once you are on-board. They may request that your DD spend at least one session with her age group so that they may observe her behavior and maturity.

That being said, you should be aware of the differences between the AO program and the teen program. The AO events are more closely supervised, there is sign-in and sign-out (although you may grant your DD sign out privileges). The Teen programing is more loosely organized -- the kids come and go as they please.

You should be confident of your child's maturity level and that she is responsible enough to deal with the extra freedom. Be certain to review "the rules" you have set for her.

Also, keep an eye on how well she gets on with the other teens.

• I've seen a 12YO "hanging out with" 16 and 17YO -- really getting into situations for which she was not prepared
    (my then 12YO DD had befriended this girl's friend who was not comfortable with her friend's companions).
  • On our last cruise my then 14YO DD and her cruise friends (13 and 14YOs) complained bitterly about a pair of 11YOs who had "talked their way into" the Celebrity Teen club programming -- my DD and other teens then avoided the teen club like the plague because these particular girls were immature ("one was wearing a Hanna Montana necklace!") -- thus the teen programming was then limited to these two girls. The other teens spent their time together in public areas or smaller groups throughout the remainder of the cruise.

You know your DD and how she will do -- but don't make this decision lightly.

I had the same feelings as Onessa, is it really fair to the 14 year olds in the older group to have to have younger kids in the group. Most 14 year olds do not want to hang out with 11 yr olds and your daughter may be avoided by the older ones.. Could end up causing more problems than its worth.

Yes, I understand. Just as I feel making my 11 year old 7th grader play with 9 year old 3rd graders is not fair to her. My concern is my daughter is an 11 year old that is in 7th grade. 7th grade is made up of mainly 12 & 13 year olds (8th grade is 13 & 14). She is extremely smart and skipped a grade, with a late birthday and is use to this age group (as middle school is 11-14 year olds). She has already expressed concern and I want her to have a great experience as this is our first cruise.

Yes, I understand the Hannah Montana stuff. My daughter has avoided HM like a plague since age 8.

I just want to know that they would atleast give her a chance in this age group as this is what she is use to playing with. She is soooooooooooo worried since this will be during her "cycle" that the younger kids may not understand why she is going to the bathroom so much and such. Also, we would like the freedom for her to check herself in and out and just do the activities she wants rather than a program as she is use to this responsibility at home. She's worried she will be treated as a baby with the younger kids and I would just like to reassure her that there is a good chance she can be put in with the same age group as she goes to school with.

Yes, I understand. Just as I feel making my 11 year old 7th grader play with 9 year old 3rd graders is not fair to her. My concern is my daughter is an 11 year old that is in 7th grade. 7th grade is made up of mainly 12 & 13 year olds (8th grade is 13 & 14). She is extremely smart and skipped a grade, with a late birthday and is use to this age group (as middle school is 11-14 year olds). She has already expressed concern and I want her to have a great experience as this is our first cruise. . . . .

As I indicated, the cruise line WILL most likely entertain your request. Whether or not they will be able to accommodate the request will be up to 1) situation on the ship (mix of kids, etc), 2) the decisions of the head of the kids program on-board, 3) the level of maturity that the kid's program staff observe for your child.

So the line will likely entertain the request, but the next issue is how will your DD's peers react? Prepare her that some of the kids may not welcome a "little kid" into their fold -- she needs to realize the age grouping does include kids several years her senior. She probably wants to emphasize her grade level and de-emphasize her age. She will likely be welcomed by 12YO, you'll be ok if she blends well with the 13YOs, but YOU may be concerned if she falls in with 14 or 15 or 16YOs!

My DD is in middle school but takes her afternoon classes at the high school (she is in sophmore advanced math, sophomore Spanish, and freshman science). While she has developed a few "real" friendships with some of the freshmen; although she is readily accepted as a classmate in math and Spanish, most of the kids in those classes are really too "old" for her -- they call each other for help on assignments, they recognize each other in the mall -- they are primarily aquaintances, but not really "friends". She is on sports teams with kids a few years older or younger, but they are all still at a point in their lives where one or one-and-a-half years difference in age can be a major hurdle -- so the just turned 12YO in her curling program does have a problem fitting in the the rest of them who are 14 or 15YO. They are nice enough to her, but the closeness just isn't there.

• 3 months later...
Yes, I understand. Just as I feel making my 11 year old 7th grader play with 9 year old 3rd graders is not fair to her. My concern is my daughter is an 11 year old that is in 7th grade. 7th grade is made up of mainly 12 & 13 year olds (8th grade is 13 & 14). She is extremely smart and skipped a grade, with a late birthday and is use to this age group (as middle school is 11-14 year olds). She has already expressed concern and I want her to have a great experience as this is our first cruise.

Yes, I understand the Hannah Montana stuff. My daughter has avoided HM like a plague since age 8.

I just want to know that they would atleast give her a chance in this age group as this is what she is use to playing with. She is soooooooooooo worried since this will be during her "cycle" that the younger kids may not understand why she is going to the bathroom so much and such. Also, we would like the freedom for her to check herself in and out and just do the activities she wants rather than a program as she is use to this responsibility at home. She's worried she will be treated as a baby with the younger kids and I would just like to reassure her that there is a good chance she can be put in with the same age group as she goes to school with.

I'd love to hear how your experience was- or anyone elses with this situation. I am the opposite of you. We are leaving next month and I would like my 12 year old to remain in the younger group. I do not like the idea of the "instant" freedom she would have on this ship with complete stangers of all ages. Although she is mature in most manners, she is still very much a kid and enjoys "playing" with all ages without thinking she is "too old".

I'm hoping the staff on Serenade will be accommodating with our request.

I have a 7'th grader who is 12. She and my oldest DD (14) were together in the younger teen club on our cruise over spring break. The kids in their group tended to be on the younger side and in middle school mostly. My 14 yo was complaining about that since she is in high school, but eventually made some high school friends and was very happy.

I also have a son who is 9 and was in the 9-11 year old group. My 7'th grader definitely did not belong in that group. So I understand where you are coming from. You obviously know your daughter and she has plenty of friends who are 12 and 13. From a socialization stand-point she is their peer. Based upon what you have told us I would put in in with the other 7'th graders. I don't think the camp staff will care and I don't think anyone is going to ask when her birthday is. From my experience the teen camps are very relaxed and you can come and go as you please.

I believe most of the "camps" have a list of all the kids on board with their ages and birth dates, so no need to ask.

My son turned 12 on one of our cruises. I had to sign that it was OK for him to be in the 12 - 14 group. They had a list of the kids and he was listed as 11, but his birth date showed he would be 12 during the cruise. Bottom line, they know how old all the kids are!

Archived