They have been taking the extension cords?

jones391

I see in other posts that they have been taking the extension cords.

Does any one know why?

What if you need a CPAP machine for sleep apnea and the cord does not reach the vanity wall outlet?

They have never taken any of mine...this just start?

I do believe I've read here somewhere that they have extension cords available at the pursers desk if you need one for a cpap or similar situation. I thought I read that there is a deposit that you get back when you turn it in?? Someone can correct me on that I'm sure.

I believe that was brought over from another line... NCL if I remember correctly.

I've not heard of Carnival confiscating power strips from anyone's luggage...

:)

We were on the Oct 4th 2009 sailing from San Juan on the Victory. We got called down to the no no room because of a small hammer with screwdrivers in the handle (travel hammer) that we brought along because of a wheel that was on our luggage that kept loosening. They opened my luggage to get the hammer and saw an extension cord for my computer (it was not a cheap Walmart extension cord but one for the computer with a breaker.) When we protested they took it to a Supervisor because we had actually used it on other cruises with our laptop in the Internet cafe with no problem. They said absolute not! Luckily a very nice bellman in the Sheraton where we had just stayed kept it for us until we returned. While I was down there, another woman was called down for a cheap extension cord in her luggage that they made her throw away and told her she couldn't take it on the ship. We have been on many cruises and never had a problem until our last cruise this past fall.

I have always brought a power strip with me for my laptop, camera batteries, etc. I would be lost without one.

I don't see the sense in confiscating a power strip. Maybe an extension cord because they can overheat and cause a fire?

Lee

Originally Posted by jones391 viewpost.gif

I see in other posts that they have been taking the extension cords.

Does any one know why?

What if you need a CPAP machine for sleep apnea and the cord does not reach the vanity wall outlet?

Can you reference where you found this?

We just pack the bottles in our checked luggage. Last time we got called to the no-no room, they moved a bottle of liquor to get to my extension cord and took that.

The steward is no problem, since we fly, any left over liquor we give to the steward so we don't have to cart it home.....never had a steward complain yet

This is where it came from.

I do believe I've read here somewhere that they have extension cords available at the pursers desk if you need one for a cpap or similar situation. I thought I read that there is a deposit that you get back when you turn it in?? Someone can correct me on that I'm sure.

It is a 20$ deposit you do get back.Your Correct! But we bring ours.;)

We were on the Oct 4th 2009 sailing from San Juan on the Victory. We got called down to the no no room because of a small hammer with screwdrivers in the handle (travel hammer) that we brought along because of a wheel that was on our luggage that kept loosening. They opened my luggage to get the hammer and saw an extension cord for my computer (it was not a cheap Walmart extension cord but one for the computer with a breaker.) When we protested they took it to a Supervisor because we had actually used it on other cruises with our laptop in the Internet cafe with no problem. They said absolute not! Luckily a very nice bellman in the Sheraton where we had just stayed kept it for us until we returned. While I was down there, another woman was called down for a cheap extension cord in her luggage that they made her throw away and told her she couldn't take it on the ship. We have been on many cruises and never had a problem until our last cruise this past fall.

Wow dh uses his for his cpap machine guess this is something to look into.

It is a 20$ deposit you do get back.Your Correct! But we bring ours.;)

YAY! I have been out of the loop for too long!! It's good to know all that info doesn't seep out. I seem to remember we brought a surge protecter with us on the last cruise to plug in the battery charger, video camera, and both our phones (turned off OF COURSE, but we didn't want them to die if we needed them when we got back to FL) But that was back in May of '08.

I read about the extension cord being confiscated as well. My husband also uses a CPAP and I figured it might be better to pack the extension cord with the CPAP in our carry-on. That way if there is a problem we can say it is necessary for the medical equipment.

We sailed last week on Destiny and they didn't take my power strip.

Seriously, I would have to think hard about cruising with them if this is put into practice. Hair dryers will only plug into power strips. The plug on the vanity does not leave enough room for standard hair dryer plugs to plug into. My camera charger wouldn't fit the plug on the vanity either.

I'm sorry, but I'm on a cruise and I'm not traveling without my hair dryer and camera. I'm not going camping. I'm cruising.

I brought a Power Squid with me on my cruise on the Pride in October and plan on bringing it again on the Dream in March. I would be very angry if they tried to take it. There website does not list it as a prohibited item and there is no "security" or "safety" reason for them to take it.

I brought a Power Squid with me on my cruise on the Pride in October and plan on bringing it again on the Dream in March. I would be very angry if they tried to take it. There website does not list it as a prohibited item and there is no "security" or "safety" reason for them to take it.

Actually ours was a power squid, I didn't have a name for it in the original post. I even made them take it to a Supervisor because that power cord traveled on every ship with us until the last. The only spotted the extension cord when they opened the luggage for something else. If we didn't have the little hammer in there I do not think they would have seen the power squid on the xray. Luckily we had a suite with 2 outlets instead of one. Next time we will put 1 extension cord in every checked suitcase just in case so we have one to use.

We bring a cord and a triple tap on every cruise(34 in 6 years) and never had them taken away. We leave them plugged in all the time with a night light, clock and sometimes curling iron plugged in(but not turned on). If they started to try to take out cords, triple taps, power strips, booze, candles, knives and other things, we would never leave the dock.

I need the extension cord for my sound machine. I have to have it close to the bed so I can plug in the head phones. Otherwise, I would not sleep with hubby snoring in my ears! :eek:

I would be very, very upset to have my extension cord taken. I will be keeping my eye on this situation.

I filled out the special requirements questionaire, that covered everything from wheelchairs to syringe disposal to refrigerated medications, and put a statement that I will need to bring an extension cord for my CPAP and please aknowledge by return e-mail permission to do so. They sent back a very nice letter/statement saying it is recommended that if a guest needs an extension cord to bring their own as there are a limited number of cords on the ships. It also stated that they have distilled water at $4 a gallon for guests to purchase but you are permitted to bring your own for medical reasons. So it sounds to me like the issue of an extension cord is not a big one. I don't know about the water, how far they will take that as I don't need it away from home for my CPAP.

Thanks for letting me share. Cheryl

Archived