Skagway Ideas - Not Train or Dyea Dave Tour

Flredhead

I, too, had seen positive and negative posts about DYEA Dave, with the few negatives mainly referring to his lack of response. I had been checking on activities / tours for my sailing in July with my 17 year old son, and emailed Dave to ask about his tours yesterday. I received phone call within 20 minutes of sending my email. He said he'd respond to my email to confirm as well, and he did within the hour.

I was considering renting a car and touring the area on our own, but ended up booking a tour with him, as just from our limited conversation, I am very much looking forward to the insight he will be able to offer.

I've never used Dave, but have friends who had a problem with him last year. That being said, I think we can see that Dave is not stupid!:D He's obviously read here (and other boards) of those who have dissatisfaction with him and is making every effort to "clean up his act"! I always say that the proof is in the pudding and if at the end of this season you read 95% positive reports on him, he will have redeemed himself.:D

I also talked to Dave last night. I sent my e-mail a couple of hours before, so it was a very quick response. But be forwarned...he may be slow at responding for the next week or so. We just flew into Indiana from Alaska to pick up a new van/bus (12 seater I believe) in Elkhart. He is driving it back to Alaska So, he warned me he may be out of touch depending on his ability to get internet wherever he is staying. He said the best way to reach him is by his cell until he is back. Or leave an e-mail or voice mail and he will respond as soon as he gets service. I like the idea of a sparkly new van/bus!!!:)

Edited by LindaandJeff

• 4 months later...
I, too, had seen positive and negative posts about DYEA Dave, with the few negatives mainly referring to his lack of response. I had been checking on activities / tours for my sailing in July with my 17 year old son, and emailed Dave to ask about his tours yesterday. I received phone call within 20 minutes of sending my email. He said he'd respond to my email to confirm as well, and he did within the hour.

I was considering renting a car and touring the area on our own, but ended up booking a tour with him, as just from our limited conversation, I am very much looking forward to the insight he will be able to offer.

I have sent 2 emails in the past week and have no response- Do you know whether the lack of response in the past was b/c he already had a booking. If so, I would just like to know to make other arrangements. I guess I will try the phone route, but I did not want to interrupt him on his tours. I thought email would let him respond with convenient.

Has anyone had any recent communication with him?

• 5 years later...
Looking for suggestions. Family of 10 people: 71 to 3. We are firming up plans for each port but Skagway is causing difficulties. We do not want to go on train ride; we have done them before but too long and boring for small children. The reviews on Cruise Critic have been such over several months that I do not want to go with Dyea Dave tours as he has been unreliable for many. It would be awful to book someone and then not have them show up! Are there other small tour operators that are good and reliable?

I would appreciate other suggestions besides train and Dave to do in 14 hours in Skagway on June 29th.

If you are looking for an adventure and the freedom to slow down and enjoy your vacation then this tour is for you! Dyea Dave tours are very reliable!

We just returned from a great tour last week with Dyea Dave. We easily met the guide at the exact time stated, waiting at the bottom of gangway. No issues at all. There was a couple from another cruise ship that forgot their passports. We waited for them to go get them. They drove us to the train station to get our pre-purchased tickets and drove us to Emerald Lake stopping numerous times(10-15 times) for all the beautiful sights and landmarks. Stopped in Carcross for an hour for lunch on our own. Then they personally took us to the exact car we would ride on, for the return trip on the train from Fraser. Then they picked us up, once the train made it to Skagway and took us back to our ship. Nothing but a positive experience.