Labadee Haiti and malaria pills

skyw

Hi, skyw - welcome to CC!

You will want to have this confirmed by your doctor or a travel clinic, but most cruise ship stops don't involve any real risk of malaria even in malarial areas. This is because cruise ships usually only stop during the daytime, and malaria mosquitoes are only active at night.

There are other mosquitoes that are active during the day, which can also carry disease - dengue fever is a common one. But the best protection against these is to cover up and use a good insect repellent.

You shouldn't have any problem with mosquitos/disease for your stop in Labadee. Essentially, you will be spending only, say, 5-6 hours there. I donate blood regularly, and so have to report this stop. But since it isn't overnight, and is only daylight hours, I am always okay to donate.

I wouldn't worry about, and I'm allergic to mosquitos!

Thanks for the Info. I do have a friend that did get Dengue Fever while I was there...They nicked name it bone cracker fever.

Has anyone seem what is behind that mountain there? I have.........it is pretty sad. I am glad RCL is putting money there. It is a beautiful country.

Once again....Thanks for the Info

Archived