What is there to do after dinner with 2 & 4 year old?

kittycruize

We are condsidering a 7 night Western on the Liberty in May with a 2 and 4 year old. We cannot figure out what to do after dinner for us as a family! We do not want to put the kids in the kids clubs. Any suggestions on what there is to do for us? We have looked at the Navigators, but still really can't figure out what all we would do for 7 nights!:)

What do you do with them at home after dinner? Just do that!

There are shows (if they're "adult content" it will say so) suitable for the whole family, and kids love the lights, music and spectacle of it.

The pools will be open--don't know about the 2 year old (if not potty-trained, can't use the pools!) but the 4 year old should enjoy that.

Don't discount the kid's club...the kids have a GREAT time...why deny them that?

Now that my girls are 5 and start begging for the kids club even before we're finished with dinner, I miss the after-dinner activity we used to do - going dancing. There is always at least one lounge with music playing and we'd just find a place off to the side of the dance floor (to not bother adults trying to have grown-up time) and enjoy dancing together until we were ready to drop.

Also, usually the disco isn't open yet, but will have music playing, so it's a fun empty place to run around the dance floor.

A walk outside to see the starry sky, and, as cb said, my girls have loved watching the shows since they were 2. We just sat in the back so we could leave without disturbing anyone if the tots were done.

Have a great time!

Best,

Mia

We play minigolf. If we find an open pool, we swim under the stars. :) We go dancing. The CCL ships have the poolside theatres, so if you're lucky, there might be a kid movie showing that night, so you can grab some blankets, some snacks and go snuggle up together on some pool chairs and go watch some movies together.

Also, they have the build a bear through camp carnival but you don't HAVE to do it IN camp carnival. You can go buy the package to go. So you can make the bears together, anywhere. We bought some and did them together in our cabin.

We also like to go to cartoon name that toon trivia (that's during the afternoon though) :D

I wouldn't rule out Camp altogether. Take a look at the capers at night and see if there are a few activities that might interest your kids. Allow them to go for an hour or less to start. There are a couple of activities that they may not want to miss. I know my kids have some (Bubble dance party -- forget it, wild horses wouldn't keep my youngest away)

Thanks for all your reply's! I have to be honest, there are 2 reasons mom (I am gramma) does not want to let the kids go in the kids programs. 1. Safety, you never know about the employees, she just does not trust total strangers with her children. 2. Both kids have separation issues and would have a fit if she left them there with total strangers! The suggestions are very helpful, so please keep them coming and I just may book that cruise!

gramma, I totally understand her concern, I was the same exact way on my oldest's daughter's first cruise. Camp Carnival is very, very secure. She would just have to see it to feel comfortable. :)

I just wanted to verify, you are talking about Carnival Liberty and not Royal Caribbean Liberty of the Seas - correct?

Sorry, I am referring to the RCCL Liberty or Freedom! Also, can a non potty trained 20 month old go in the pools?

GOOD! Actually that is MUCH better. More to do. :D lol

RCCL Freedom and Liberty OF THE SEAS has a Baby Splash Zone - the non potty trained 20 month old will be allowed to splash in there. If you choose any other cruise line (other than Disney) you will be out of luck :( and will have to bring your own inflatable pool.

So for a 2 year old, you won't have any access to a "kids club" on Royal Caribbean anyway. The 4 year old will be old enough to go, but not the 2 year old. On Royal Caribbean, the age is 3 and completely potty trained.

However - on those Freedom class ships, there is sooooo much to do, you won't need the kids club to keep them busy at night.

At night, you can take them to the shows. My kids LOVE the ice show. They were entranced by it. It was the best show.

Royal Caribbean Freedom class ships also have the parades through the Promenade. So just grab the kids and go watch the parades. :)

On the same ships, we did go do the mini golf at night.

For snacks at night, we always take the kids to Sorrento's Pizza and the Cafe Promenade for cookies/milk.

For the 20 month old and mom (and older sibling) -- they can all attend bedtime stories together - usually held around 9pm. It's called "Royal Tots for ages 18 months - 36 months" - they will allow the older sib to tag along. During the daytime, the Royal Tots play group activities like a stroller walking program for moms and a play group.

The library is also stacked with kids books - so you can go get bedtime books for them.

AND, Fisher Price creating a toy lending program. Just go to Adventure Ocean and ask to take part in their toy lending program -- then mom and kids can take the toys back to the cabin.

Each night they also have things like Family Wii competitions. Family Karoke. FAMILY Dance parties in the lounges. AND FAMILY scavenger hunts. Each night features a new activity - key word being "Family" -- no one is excluded. All ages and generations are welcome. :D

We are condsidering a 7 night Western on the Liberty in May with a 2 and 4 year old. We cannot figure out what to do after dinner for us as a family! We do not want to put the kids in the kids clubs. Any suggestions on what there is to do for us? We have looked at the Navigators, but still really can't figure out what all we would do for 7 nights!:)

Why do you not want to put the kids into the club? Wouldn't have to be every night of course, but it will give mom and dad some alone time, or a chance to see the early comedy show. My son has been going since late 2's and loves every minute of it.

But if you are still opposed, you can bring some things that you do at home: art, playdough, movies, books etc. You can always take a walk on the deck, enjoy the pools, or take in a family friendly show. There is a game room that is often empty you can play in.

My son absolutely LOVED going to see any live music that was going on after dinner. I mean, that's not something you normally get to do at home, have a live band playing for you. Sometimes he and I will dance too, which is fun because DH hates to dance, so it's nice to have DS to dance with me! :D

Archived