looking to save on bar tab, any recommendations? Im not talking rum runners :)

Teala

We have opted to purchase drink coupons each payday until we leave and are going to TRY to stick ONLY with what we have. It will take some disipline, but it will save us from having a shocker of a tab at the end of the cruise. I wish you the best of luck in figuring out what will work best for you. Its just insane the prices they charge, however I understand that is one of the ways they make their money being they charge so little to actually take the cruise.

I thought 40 dollars was pretty expensive too until my husband priced a bottle near where we live. It was 29.99 + tax for a liter bottle of the Captain Morgan Spiced rum that we drink. For us, it wasn't much of a stretch to just pay the 40 and not worry about smuggling.

I see everyone talking about purchasing drink coupons...how do you do that?

thanks everyone for your tips! i really appreciate it :)

one thing im still wondering, what are the prices for the drinks??

I see everyone talking about purchasing drink coupons...how do you do that?

you can go on the carnival site and order drink coupons:

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=MostPopularItems&pid=BAR

it includes tip which is great, but i see its only for drinks up to 5.25, im not sure what that covers for foo foo drinks??

pick your favorite table game , wager $5 of your own plus the match coupon and you have a $10 wager active.

For those non gamblers: I have not tried this but depending on the dealer you might get away with playing your $5 on Red and the match coupon on black on roulette and have your $10 in cashable form. Course you always are exposed to the zeros coming up then.

One thing I wanted to add on the match play is that you can only use the match card once. Win or lose, it's taken up after you play it once. If you win, it nets out to a $5 total drink - with the amount of liquor in those drinks, definitely one of the best deals on the ship!

it includes tip which is great, but i see its only for drinks up to 5.25, im not sure what that covers for foo foo drinks??

On the Ecstasy in December, they were giving me $5.75 for the coupons I used. Not sure if this is fleet-wide or not, but it was 3 different waiters who gave it to me.

If you order a drink more than the value of the coupon, they'll just deduct the value of the coupon off the cost of your drink. So if the coupon is worth $5.25 and you order a DOD for $6.95, you'll be charged $1.70, plus the 15% on the $1.70. If you get a drink that's $5.25 or higher, you save about $.79 per drink. And if you don't get charged for the overage, you save even more. :)

i posted this elsewhere but didnt get much response so here we go!

Im going on carnival in december, and I want to find ways to cut back on the bar tab but im not talking smuggling! DH and his friends are pretty big drinkers but id like to find ways to cut the tab back.

I know about the free drinks at the captains party and art auctions but what else?

There are drink specials in the AM right? i know there was on NCL, tequila sunrise, bloody marys etc.

Drink of the day... is this less expensive than regular drinks? also, ive heard you can ask for it without the special glass and its less too. i did that once on a cruise and if i remember, they still charged me full price. should i mention it to the bar waiter?

Is it cheaper to get drink cards before hand? i read on carnival site that the bar vouchers are good for up to a certain price. are there decent drinks at that price?

what ARE the drink prices?

thanks in advance!

Give up drinking alcohol!:D

Another alternative is a port intensive cruise, and then find the cheap places to drink in port.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Just off the Dream yesterday.

We used the bar coupons

Purchased through the Bon Voyage dept prior to cruising

4 for 21.25

Can be used for beer the cheaper brand 4.95

Well drinks at 4.95

You have to specify you want the Sky vodka etc

The coupon also includes the gratuity 15%

If you want a more expensive drink the difference is charged to your sail and sign

We loved the coupons!!!

Also you can start purchasing prior to cruising.

Will be delivered first night at dining.

This does save you alittle bit of money if you do the math.

We thought the rum from bon voyage was expensive too...but what a deal in the long run. Cheapest bar tab we have had on a cruise. Nice to make own drinks for the balcony at night.

Can you order the bottle of rum from room service once on board, or do you have to order it before departure as a bon voyage gift?

If you order a drink more than the value of the coupon, they'll just deduct the value of the coupon off the cost of your drink. So if the coupon is worth $5.25 and you order a DOD for $6.95, you'll be charged $1.70, plus the 15% on the $1.70. If you get a drink that's $5.25 or higher, you save about $.79 per drink. And if you don't get charged for the overage, you save even more. :)

What drinks are available (besides beer) for $5.75?

Well, you can bring wine on board in your carryon- I think the amount is 2 bottles per cabin. And you can order a few bottles of liquor from Carnival- if you mix the liquor with either soda that you bring on board or if you get a soda card- you can get sodas and mixer juices (pineapple, cranberry, orange) and mix this with the liquor. The more drinks you can have in your room- the less you'll have to buy at the bar ;)

I really wish that Carnival would allow other alcohol besides wine (they could allow 1 bottle of wine or 1 six pack of beer or 1 small bottle of liquor- since not everyone is a wine drinker.)

I do love a nice glass of merlot, but a nice cold corona on the balcony would be nice too!:D

Take care,

Diana :)

They always allow my champagne. One bottle per adult.

Well, you can bring wine on board in your carryon- I think the amount is 2 bottles per cabin. And you can order a few bottles of liquor from Carnival- if you mix the liquor with either soda that you bring on board or if you get a soda card- you can get sodas and mixer juices (pineapple, cranberry, orange) and mix this with the liquor. The more drinks you can have in your room- the less you'll have to buy at the bar ;)

I really wish that Carnival would allow other alcohol besides wine (they could allow 1 bottle of wine or 1 six pack of beer or 1 small bottle of liquor- since not everyone is a wine drinker.)

I do love a nice glass of merlot, but a nice cold corona on the balcony would be nice too!:D

Take care,

Diana :)

Yeah, I'm so not a wine drinker, a small bottle of Grey Goose or Absolut would do me fine!

No more free drinks at the Captain's party - just $1.00 off specials now. They do have free drinks on the last night at the farewell party. If you have sailed Carnival before and are on a 5 day or longer sailing there's also the past guest party.

Look for the daily drink specials - there are usually quite a few along with some evening specials as well. It also varies by ship. Both times we sailed the Liberty they did happy hour in the disco from 7-8:30 each night with a theme - 80s, disco, reggae, etc and pretty good drink specials. But have never seen that on any other ship.

I'll be on the Liberty from Feb. 20-27th, that's good to know, thanks. Question, how do we know in advance about the various themes so we can pack to suit?? LOL

thanks everyone for your tips! i really appreciate it :)

one thing im still wondering, what are the prices for the drinks??

you can go on the carnival site and order drink coupons:

http://www.carnival.com/BonVoyage/AddToCart.aspx?cat=MostPopularItems&pid=BAR

I was wondering the same thing, but I guess you can use the coupon and just the difference would be charged on your card?

Drink of the day... is this less expensive than regular drinks? also, ive heard you can ask for it without the special glass and its less too.

Also, you can order your drinks with the house liquor instead of premium liquor. For some stuff, such as fruit and/or soda - Vodka based drinks, most people can't tell the difference. (no offense meant to any connoisseur's out there).

Archived