Pride tomorrow

Ms. Fun Bunch

EPA does prohibit dumping heavily treated snow into waterways. The likelihood of 30 inches of snow by the terminal having been treated at all with the exception of the molasses mix put down early on friday, even with any salt being enough to raise the salinity of the harbor is hypothetical given this is a tidal waterway. The other choice would be to dump it on the other side of the fence since it is all part of stae property, which would work just as well. In either case, it will eventually end up in the bay. Most of the cases that involved actual pollution from doing such dumping occurred on land locked bodies of water.

Well, ok then, my mistake. Just mentioning what I heard on the local news, I've read nothing. ;)

There's absolutely no comparison to the December storm. The snow in December was light and fluffy, this snow is wet, heavy and now completely frozen. Apples and oranges. I'm in Baltimore. ;)

the comparison I was making is that Carnival did NOT annouce a late departure (though it did leave late) last time. YOU may have problems getting to the terminal, but Carnival is there and waiting. We get news here, believe it or not in Texas. lol.

I think you are missing my point that Carnival is going to leave today, with or without you, no matter how wet or deep the snow is at your house. Im trying to get people to plan ahead, because last time there were several threads from folks who sat around waiting for Carnival to decide and didnt get themselves to the terminal, and believed some rep down in Miami that consideration would be given to them getting a future credit for missing their cruise. I dont want that to happen to folks on CC again this time.

the comparison I was making is that Carnival did NOT annouce a late departure (though it did leave late) last time. YOU may have problems getting to the terminal, but Carnival is there and waiting. We get news here, believe it or not in Texas. lol.

I think you are missing my point that Carnival is going to leave today, with or without you, no matter how wet or deep the snow is at your house. Im trying to get people to plan ahead, because last time there were several threads from folks who sat around waiting for Carnival to decide and didnt get themselves to the terminal, and believed some rep down in Miami that consideration would be given to them getting a future credit for missing their cruise. I dont want that to happen to folks on CC again this time.

It's obvious that I missed your point and interpreted incorrectly. I'm not sailing on the Pride. My intent was not to post about my personal situation, but agree with the poster I quoted, Grannycb, and BND had requested hearing from someone in Baltimore. That's it in a nutshell.

Yes, the Pride will leave without me today...I have no booking. ;)

Please continue your good work.

Well, ok then, my mistake. Just mentioning what I heard on the local news, I've read nothing. ;)

TV news has only a few seconds or minutes to give answers that are mostly generalizations. They weren't wrong just giving what they got. May not even had a source, just somebody in the studio thinking they heard that you can't. When I lived in Toronto and Buffalo had the Blizzard of '79 I think it was, they dumped it all in Lake Erie. No place else to put it. Since it was all lake effect snow, we had maybe 6 inches at most and sent most of the snow removal equipment down there to help out. :D

Yes, the Pride will leave without me today...I have no booking. ;)

Please continue your good work.

Have you sailed her yet madelinerose? It's a great ship! It was our first Spirit class ship and we'll definitely do it again. One of the coolest things was when we were on our way back going by the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel around midnight. The cars looked like they just get swallowed up by the water. :eek:

Good luck with shoveling. We're getting ready to go out for round 2 :mad:

Have you sailed her yet madelinerose? It's a great ship! It was our first Spirit class ship and we'll definitely do it again. One of the coolest things was when we were on our way back going by the Chesapeake Bay Bridge Tunnel around midnight. The cars looked like they just get swallowed up by the water. :eek:

Good luck with shoveling. We're getting ready to go out for round 2 :mad:

No, but sailed the Miracle from Baltimore in 2004. Yes, it was very cool!

Our street right now is filled with neighbors, dogs, kids and shovels. Our dog has found utopia.

Good luck to you also, Michael. We both may be shovelling until the next Superbowl! ;)

I don't think that people who are not in the mid Atlantic realize how devastating this storm is. It started as far south as central North Carolina on Thursday night and people are still without power, service is expected to be restored by mid week.

As the storm moved north it got worse quick. There are appx 10 inches at the NC -Va border and in the DC - Baltimore area, over 2 feet. These areas of the country are not used to dealing with this amount of snow and do not have the equipment to deal with it in a timely manner. Airports are closed and not expected to open until Monday.

People have no business attempting to drive except for an emergency in the Baltimore Washington area. It is going to be mid week before it is reasonable to expect traffic to be moving. (another storm is predicted for Tuesday/Wednesday)

If this cruise is not canceled, it is going to sail with very few passengers.

we here in buffalo have received 7 ft in 1 24 hr period so i think we have a pretty good idea whats going on there and yes anything over a foot or two can have a paralyzing effect.

Bartleby - thanks for the report. Did y'all have any idea you were coming home to this?

Oh yeah. we did. Most of the people turned their cell phones back on wednesday while in Canaveral and we started to get the word. The Captain turned one of the channels on the TV to the weather channel. So everyone on the ship was talking about it friday and saturday.

Well, since we're living and experiencing the BIGGEST STORM in years, I can tell you the roads are terrible right now and people are getting stuck and running off the road all over the place. I'm not saying they'll cancel, but I dont' doubt they will be delayed.

But, if you're not experiencing 24-30 inches of snow in this area as I am right now, you can't know what it's like on the roads here.

... and the coffee from Royal Farms this morning was pretty good. And the liquor store is open, so have enough beer for the super bowl.

And, the 1200 foot driveway took our neighbor and my husband five hours yesterday to do with two 11 hp snowthrowers.

Howard County had our two lane rural road down to the asphalt by 5 pm last night, so I can go anywhere I want.

We pay more taxes in Maryland than you do, but I'm not snowed in, and never have been in the last 30 years, always plowed out in less than 24 hours after any storm.

I worked in Northern VA for 10 years. Third world is my description of it. ;)

The majority of passengers are from a 250 mi. radius of Baltimore. When the airlines start running again another option is to fly to Orlando. South West, Air Tran and Jet Blue have plenty of flights into there. A 5 day cruise is better than no cruise at all. Just heard on tv that temp for gametime in Miami will be mid 60's. Brrrr, that's cold for them folks. :D

They would not be allowed to board in Port Canaveral. They'd have to board at the first foreign port.

Bill

... And, the 1200 foot driveway took our neighbor and my husband five hours yesterday to do with two 11 hp snowthrowers.

Howard County had our two lane rural road down to the asphalt by 5 pm last night, so I can go anywhere I want. ;)

Lucky you. The only way out of my neighborhood is on foot. Period.

We and 18 of our neighbors have been shovelling for 2 days and some are still at it.

we here in buffalo have received 7 ft in 1 24 hr period so i think we have a pretty good idea whats going on there and yes anything over a foot or two can have a paralyzing effect.

I guess that's why they are called Great lakes. :rolleyes:

Missing Irv Weinstein starting of the nightly newscast with "Buffalo Blaze Busters" almost every night

You must be pretty close to a fire house. :D

... pretty close to a State Highway depot though, but not on the same route as it is. The fire house is seven miles away near the interstate.

We are two miles from a "numbered" road, but we are near the only gas station (with a royal farms store) within a 10 mile radius, so lots of people come there.

I heard that Saturday the state highway (and county maintenance shop) called Royal Farms and asked for a take out order of 250 pieces of chicken, for the workers.

Can't keep the workers from their coffee and chicken.

But seriously, we get out pretty quickly, no matter what, since there are county workers as well as state workers working for us, with our 4th highest tax rate in the country :eek:, we do get better services.

Every big snow storm, I was out before my coworkers in Dale City or Loudoun County, in VA.

Howard County is expensive, taxwise, but we do have great services.

I hope that everyone that tried to make the ship arrived safely.

Travelling anywhere in the winter can be a hardship. A snow storm anywhere can mess up travelling for many people. Whether it's a hurricane in the gulf, a Nor' Easter in New England or an earthquake in California - everyone needs to assess these risks when they travel. You make your plans and you hope. Get the proper travel insurance if the weather makes you sick from nervousness.

I know not everyone can, but if it were me, I would have left Thursday afternoon/night (assuming snow hadn't started yet) and got a hotel near the port. One more day of vacation.

And you don't need to live there to understand it. The point is people need to be understanding. Winter of 2001 we had three B2B2B snowstorms of 2' or more here in NH. The snow drifts were up to the roof tops, the rooftops had to be shoveled and people stayed home until they got out each time. Luckily we have the equipment here to deal with it.

I lived in Austin TX for awhile. My first winter it snowed three times, maybe an inch. They had to close down the city for the day. No equipment, no snow tires. Very interesting.....

Safe travels..........

Actually, I do get it that this snow was more and wetter, and I grew up in northern Ohio, where it snows. I also know Carnival, who wouldnt let people cancel before Ike was blowing into Galveston, even Ecstasy which left about 48 hours before hurricane Ike hit were supposed told they were not allowed to cancel. (I personally lost my car), so I know that Carnival wouldnt do much, except leave late.

Thats why Im hoping people get this about Carnival and assume they better have planned ahead and get to the port. The ship may leave late ... but Id bet any money that Carnival doesnt cancel or allow pax to cancel.

We were going on that cruise the Monday after IKE hit Galveston and Carnival did cancel the cruise and refunded our money with no questions asked. We were also able to cancel the cruise leaving out of NO a couple of weeks before IKE hit here with no problems canceling it either. The cruise out of NO had been moved to Mobile and was a shortened cruise. So Carnival will cancel cruises under certain conditions and I really think that all the snow in the Washington/Balt. area would certainly be a good reason to cancel the cruise. Is the Pride even going to dock as scheduled since the people will have so many problems getting out? They may get an extra day or even 2 like they did in '08. If people that are going to be on the cruise can't get to the port, how are the people that work there, going to get there?

Archived