Best bug spray for noseeums,etc?

barberesr

• 3 weeks later...

I just purchased some off deep woods with 25% deet. I'm hoping we won't need it but I do read about sand fleas in Roatan and we will be headed for the beach and I sure don't want to get attacked by sand fleas! Not my idea of a relaxing day at the beach :)

Can you spray that onto your skin or do you have to spray it onto your clothing?

I bought some spray several years ago that you can only spray onto clothing, because it was too powerful for skin contact.

The directions say hold container 4 to 6 inches from skin or clothing and spray. Do not apply over cuts, wounds, irritated or sunburned skin. Use just enough to cover exposed skin or clothing. To apply on face, spray a small amount on hands and apply sparingly avoiding eye area.

• 3 months later...

We needed it on one of our visits to Half Moon Cay and I have heard you may need it at Mahogany Bay and Princess Cays. Usually it is a seasonal issue and only a problem in the shade or cabanas/bungalows.

We've never had a problem with any sort of bugs in the spring/early summer....sometimes, late summer/fall will have more "pests" ...they've had time to mature! On those private island "beach days", you want something to spray on skin....you won't be wearing long pants and such!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 years later...

Wish I had used bug spray in Jamaica. I got about 100 bites on one ankle and about 50 on the other. I never felt or saw anything until my ankles started itching like crazy! Luckily, the itching didn't begin until our tour was over and we were headed back to the ship. A heavy layer of Benedryl cream and a shower helped with the itching. You couldn't see any bites on my ankles either - they just itched like crazy. A few days later, oodles of red dots showed up where I had been bitten (that's when we counted). We think it was no seeums or sand fleas, but again, I never saw one bug or ever felt a bite.

We had good results with Repel Natural, but I have to warn that you can feel this stuff on your skin. It has a slightly irritating effect. It happened for all of us that used it :confused: In any event, you do NOT want to spray this stuff on your clothes because it is oily and may stain.

Archived