Local place to eat with turtle..

BlushPell

Ok I know some will probably be offended but I would love to try some turtle meat on my next visit to Grand Cayman in May. I am not looking for the usual run of the mill tourist trap (i.e. Margaritaville) place to eat. More of a local eatery where the locals really know how to eat turtle. I have found some reviews of popular places (Paradise bar and grill) that have not been too favorable. Any other suggestions?

Also I am planning on trying to find some 7 Fathoms rum that is made in Grand Cayman and know it is at Hammerheads. Anyone try it?

Starting today, Feb 8, 2010, the price of all cuts of turtle meat at the Boatswain's Beach facility are set to triple.

The new managing director of the facility imposed the first price increase in about 15 years. He stated his initial evaluation of the facility's finances indicated that the price the meat was selling for did not cover the cost of production.

Turtle steak will increase to CI$27 (US$33.75) per pound from the old price of CI$9. Turtle stew meat rises to CI$16 (US$20) per pound from the old price of CI$5.40. Turtle menavelin will sell for CI$12 (US$15) and turtle bones will sell for CI$6.

Restaurants are expected to sharply raise their prices of turtle dishes to account for these price increases.

The cabbies will most likely steer you to Myrtles, a local bar, with turtle soup/stew. Not the most appealing atomsphere and other food is mediocre.

Beware of turtle steak or braised turtle. It tends to be a bit grizzly and fatty. Stck with the soup/stew.

Archived