Showtime in the MDR

Carnival AZIPOD

most cruise ship with tradiational dining have it...even our greek ship, small and old had dancing waiters.

but with freestyle, the dancing waiters would be dancing into the people coming in or going out. since freestyle is like a regular restaurants and people are always coming/going. the aisles are never clear and the waiters are still serving one table or another.

We were on MSC recently which has traditional dining and there were no dancing or singing waiters.

I've always wondered - is dancing and singing a requirement on your CV when you apply for a waiter's job on the cruise ship.

I'm sorry, but I'm not enthralled by the dancing waiters. I've seen it. I've been in the middle of it. I simply wish it would go away. Why dress up and have an air of sophistication in the MDR and then ruin it with that display? Isn't there enough dancing every other square inch of the ship? I vote for serious dining rooms.

Are there any dancing waiters in the Main Dining Room on NCL? Looking forward to an upcoming cruise on the Star. I'm always amused and find dancing waiters entertaining during dinner. Is this a Carnival exclusive show or does NCL have it as well?

No singing or dancing waiters on NCL (thank god).

Are there any dancing waiters in the Main Dining Room on NCL? Looking forward to an upcoming cruise on the Star. I'm always amused and find dancing waiters entertaining during dinner. Is this a Carnival exclusive show or does NCL have it as well?

Many cruise lines are discontuing this form of entertainment. Partially due to open seating and partially due to more and more guests asking it not be done. Yes, Carnival does still do the dining room entertainment, but once you get used to not having it, you might find you actually are glad it is no longer a part of your evenings dining pleasure.

Nita

No singing or dancing waiters on NCL (thank god).

X2 :D - I enjoyed it the first 4 or 5 times I cruised but the lack of singing and dancing waiters is one of the things I like about Freestyle. That said it is something every new cruiser should experience at some time.

X2 :D - I enjoyed it the first 4 or 5 times I cruised but the lack of singing and dancing waiters is one of the things I like about Freestyle. That said it is something every new cruiser should experience at some time.

I would imagine many of us feel that way. The first few times it was part of the dining experience and we looked forward to it. After awhile is became same ole. Now that we don't have them anymore I cringe at the thought of being "entertained" at dinner ever again...

Nita

I would imagine many of us feel that way. The first few times it was part of the dining experience and we looked forward to it. After awhile is became same ole. Now that we don't have them anymore I cringe at the thought of being "entertained" at dinner ever again...

Nita

Yeah, I feel the same way. I guess it's just a rite of passage for new cruisers.

Our first cruise was Disney, and they did a parade at the end of our dinner on the last night. I did not really enjoy it...I came to dinner to relax and found it very odd and out of place. I had never been on a cruise before, so I guess I wasn't expecting it. Then we got a spiel about grading our wait staff when we got back to the cabin. Our main waiter even came to us and asked us to put excellent on everything, or else he wouldn't look good. Well...that was enough for me...he only got a good. I found it very tacky of him to ask us for that. I did put my comments on that section of the survey. (everything else on that cruise was awesome, though)

I'm glad that NCL doesn't have it..I'll go to the Theater when I want to see a show. JMHO;)

I saw the above on a recent Carnival cruise and thought it was really amusing and entertaining. It seemed to me at everyone in the MDR enjoyed it a lot.

The Maitre'D was an older mellow guy and you can obviously see from the crowd that they went wild when he went up on the podium with the dancers!

His singing wasn't bad too. :)

I always thought the audience participation part, where everyone waved their DIRTY napkins in the, air was disgusting. Talk about spreading germs. So glad it is not done on NCL, and hope they do everything to keep it from happening in the Epic show restaurants.

Al

I saw the above on a recent Carnival cruise and thought it was really amusing and entertaining. It seemed to me at everyone in the MDR enjoyed it a lot.

The Maitre'D was an older mellow guy and you can obviously see from the crowd that they went wild when he went up on the podium with the dancers!

His singing wasn't bad too. :)

sorry if you are going to be a little disappointed about this, but to my knowledge Carnival is the only line that still has the MDR entertainment to any extent. I have heard, not sure if it is true but the wait staff absolutely hates having to entertain. I can pretty much assure you, after you have seen the entertainment a couple of times you will be glad not to have dinner interupted again or maybe you are one that will really miss it. I am sure you are not alone, just in the minority..

Nita

I can pretty much assure you, after you have seen the entertainment a couple of times you will be glad not to have dinner interupted again or maybe you are one that will really miss it. I am sure you are not alone, just in the minority..

Nita

Why not let the OP decide for themselves? Probably don't need you to do their thinking.

sorry if you are going to be a little disappointed about this, but to my knowledge Carnival is the only line that still has the MDR entertainment to any extent. I have heard, not sure if it is true but the wait staff absolutely hates having to entertain. I can pretty much assure you, after you have seen the entertainment a couple of times you will be glad not to have dinner interupted again or maybe you are one that will really miss it. I am sure you are not alone, just in the minority..

Nita

I've been on several Carnival Cruises and find the shows very entertaining each time around. I always ask the Maitre'D for a 2nd show, but he always tells me to come back tomorrow night! =P

Why not let the OP decide for themselves? Probably don't need you to do their thinking.

golly, did you get up on the wrong side of the bed this morning? I said, she wasn't the only one that liked the entertainers and I simply said, after awhile she might get tired of them..Can you explain what is wrong with that comment?

Nita

Archived