Oceana - is she a floating Butlins?

Andyboy

Hi everyone, we are new to cruising and the Oceana is going to be our first. I have read many fantastic reviews about her, however, one or two have reffered to her as being a floating Butlins. Never fancied that type of holiday, not that I am saying there is anything wrong with Butlins, infact, we have a six year old Daughter who would probably love that, but it is not for us. Anyway, great forum/website and the question is in the title. Thanks.

Andy.

Hi everyone, we are new to cruising and the Oceana is going to be our first. I have read many fantastic reviews about her, however, one or two have reffered to her as being a floating Butlins. Never fancied that type of holiday, not that I am saying there is anything wrong with Butlins, infact, we have a six year old Daughter who would probably love that, but it is not for us. Anyway, great forum/website and the question is in the title. Thanks.

Andy.

People often say this about a ship they dont like, however have very rarely heard it said about Oceana, that expression is normally reserved for Ventura.

Having been on both, can honestly say neither of them are like any Butlins I have ever been to, and Butlins is certainly not like any ship.

If you click on my photo site at the end of my signature, you can see photo's on both ships.:D

No ofcourse she isn't. What is meant by Butlins in your perception anyway? Chavs? Party games? Bingo? Lots of noisy children running amock?

I was on her a few months ago. She is a lovely ship with the best atrium in the fleet. Two theatres showing different entertainmnet every night, and a buffet restaurant at the front of the ship. Having lunch in the fjords was amazing I can tell you.

:)

photos of Oceana here from Sept 09 cruise to Fjords:

http://picasaweb.google.com/AuroraPartyCruiseSueV/OceanaAugust2009FjordsCruise?authkey=Gv1sRgCPSenbjJ_a7hXQ#5378441032851422274

Oceana is a most beautiful ship. The most magnificent atrium and the lido deck is stunning.

Butlins it is not so ignore all that rubbish people have written (only a couple I believe).

They used to call OV butlins on a boat. But that couldn't have been further than the truth.

Go on Oceana and enjoy the experience ... and the ship she's a fantastic piece of engineering ..... Not butlins .....

Enjoy

Stitch x

We have been on Oceana 4 times and for visual impact and public rooms I would say she's the best ship! I would also say though that when you go can have a bearing on the general atmosphere of the ship. If its your first cruise you will always look back on her fondly! We still do that with Canberra and compared to todays ships she was in a different league!!

Have a great time!

I disagree. Oceana is a ship with a very American passenger flow design and overstated shiny atrium. The other (older) ships in the fleet have maintained a British sense of understated design and have a proper Observation Lounge where Oceana has a self-service restaurant. Just a couple of points.

For me, it's all wrong. I don't like the ship. Just my opinion.

We have just returned from Oceana and I can tell you that Oceana had absolutely no similarity with Butlins. The dress code was very well observed. The majority of men had Dinner Jackets on for the formal 'll evenings - I saw three men in lounge suits on 2nd sitting - and did not see anyone in casual dress. The women looked wonderful.

Personally I think the atrium is lovely, a real wow factor without being tacky. We had breakfast and occasionally lunch in Cafe Jardin (only a charge in the evenings) and thoroughly enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere and the choice of food. I do not like the buffets on any ship so it was lovely to be able to use Cafe Jardin in addition to the main restaurant for breakfast and lunch.

We thought the food was good in the evenings with some new additions to the menus - I had never seen chilli ice-cream served with banana as a starter - not my choice but my husband enjoyed it. We enjoyed some good shows and one drama performance in particular was hilarious. I'm sure you'll enjoy Oceana.:)

All these statements depend on the people on board at the time, the infamous Ventura Xmas cruise for instance marked the ship for ages. We went on OV, 1st week was heaven, second week had a change of passengers & whilst it wasn't hell is was far from the 1st week.

Andy.

The only similarity between Butlins and Oceana (or ANY cruise ship) is that you get fed and entertained, all day every day.

The big difference is in QUALITY and LUXURY

And I doubt Billy Butlin himself would have disagreed with that.

I think what people mean is, this is gonna sound bad, the type of people that are stereotypically associated with Butlins, it is assumed that those who go to holiday camps have no taste or class....this is of course quite wrong as I have never been to a holiday camp & ask anyone.... I have no taste or class!!

We have just returned from Oceana and I can tell you that Oceana had absolutely no similarity with Butlins. The dress code was very well observed. The majority of men had Dinner Jackets on for the formal 'll evenings - I saw three men in lounge suits on 2nd sitting - and did not see anyone in casual dress. The women looked wonderful.

Personally I think the atrium is lovely, a real wow factor without being tacky. We had breakfast and occasionally lunch in Cafe Jardin (only a charge in the evenings) and thoroughly enjoyed the peaceful atmosphere and the choice of food. I do not like the buffets on any ship so it was lovely to be able to use Cafe Jardin in addition to the main restaurant for breakfast and lunch.

Agree with all of the above

:D

Really? you don't find about three decks of people all elegantly dressed for a formal night in that atrium a spectacular sight? (striking or sensational) either I am easily impressed or you are jaded!

I'd say that you are easily impressed. Oceana is too glitzy. No class.

Just my opinion.

Nevertheless, class or not still a spectacular sight for most people, a glittering occasion that beats standing around the pool on Arcadia for a start.

I agree with that, but neither is as good as the Pacific Lounge on Oriana and none comes close to the Queens Room on a Cunarder.

Archived