Oceana - is she a floating Butlins?

Andyboy

Cafe Jardin is excellent! Good at night too when it becomes the Marco Pierre White eatery! I really dont see what is tacky about Oceana's Atrium, and believe me, my husband and I dont do "tacky"!
If you go on a cruise in school summer holidays on any of the ships, you will get a different experience from going on the same ship at other times. Thats what we have found anyway and we've been on all the P&O ships other than Artemis and Ventura. We have been at all sorts of different times of year to different destinations and cruise lengths too. I know what its like to be tied to school hols, since retiring its been so much better to be able to go outside those times! Easier on the purse too!!

[quote name='Gerrym']Slipper, you've seen some pictures?

Oh I am sorry, I did not realise you based your views on such in-depth research.

I am totally unsurprised you have trouble with the deifinition of class.

It can be difficult to define class, but I can tell when someone doesn't have any.

Regards

Gerry[/quote]

I'm with you all the way, unless you've been on board and experienced what a wonderful ship she is and the fantastic welcome you receive its hard to comment.

Its my 3rd trip on her on Friday, cant wait!

Regards

Carl

[quote name='C at Sea']Cafe Jardin is excellent! Good at night too when it becomes the Marco Pierre White eatery! I really dont see what is tacky about Oceana's Atrium, and believe me, my husband and I dont do "tacky"!
If you go on a cruise in school summer holidays on any of the ships, you will get a different experience from going on the same ship at other times. Thats what we have found anyway and we've been on all the P&O ships other than Artemis and Ventura. We have been at all sorts of different times of year to different destinations and cruise lengths too. I know what its like to be tied to school hols, since retiring its been so much better to be able to go outside those times! Easier on the purse too!![/quote]

Try to widen your experience.

Oceana is glitzy and tacky. Not at all the traditional P&O elegance.

:)

[quote name='thranite']Try to widen your experience.

Oceana is glitzy and tacky. Not at all the traditional P&O elegance.

:)[/quote]

LOL, Most of us that have [SIZE=3]experienced [/SIZE]Oceana could talk all day about her. 'tacky' and 'glitzy' would not come in to the conversation.

As for the Pennant bar, it is easily my favourite bar in the whole world. I keep thinking of leaving a port in the caribbean, watching the sunset and having a drink with friends at the Pennant bar, does life get any better?
I don't think so.

I am so lucky to have a very wide experience of holidays including one of the best, Oceana.

[quote name='Gerrym']LOL, Most of us that have [SIZE=3]experienced [/SIZE]Oceana could talk all day about her. 'tacky' and 'glitzy' would not come in to the conversation.

As for the Pennant bar, it is easily my favourite bar in the whole world. I keep thinking of leaving a port in the caribbean, watching the sunset and having a drink with friends at the Pennant bar, does life get any better?
I don't think so.

I am so lucky to have a very wide experience of holidays including one of the best, Oceana.[/quote]

I am clearly not in your perceived majority. Among my fairly extensive cruising experience, I have experienced Oceana once and that is enough.

That is my opinion and I am entitled to it. You clearly do not agree, but that does not my opinion any more correct or wrong than yours.

[quote name='thranite']I am clearly not in your perceived majority. Among my fairly extensive cruising experience, I have experienced Oceana once and that is enough.

That is my opinion and I am entitled to it. You clearly do not agree, but that does not my opinion any more correct or wrong than yours.

:)[/quote]

Thranite, did I say anywhere in my post that your opinion was any more or less correct or wrong than mine?

You are indeed entitled to an opinion as is everyone.

I simply said you were in the minority (look at the posts here, it is not my perception).

I also found your post very funny, hence the 'LOL'.

I wonder why you would try to defend something you thought you read rather than what it is written, to try and make you opinion more correct than other posters perhaps?

Now calm down dear, it's only a forum.

LOL

[quote name='Gerrym']Thranite, did I say anywhere in my post that your opinion was any more or less correct or wrong than mine?

You are indeed entitled to an opinion as is everyone.

I simply said you were in the minority (look at the posts here, it is not my perception).

I also found your post very funny, hence the 'LOL'.

I wonder why you would try to defend something you thought you read rather than what it is written, to try and make you opinion more correct than other posters perhaps?

Now calm down dear, it's only a forum.

LOL[/quote]

I have had enough of this mudslinging.
I shall retire to the silent majority.

[quote name='Andyboy']Hi everyone, we are new to cruising and the Oceana is going to be our first. I have read many fantastic reviews about her, however, one or two have reffered to her as being a floating Butlins. Never fancied that type of holiday, not that I am saying there is anything wrong with Butlins, infact, we have a six year old Daughter who would probably love that, but it is not for us. Anyway, great forum/website and the question is in the title. Thanks.

Andy.[/quote]

Going back to the original post above is she like Butlins? NO SHE ISN'T.....

She may not be the most 'classy' ship afloat but that wasn't the question, but she sure isn't butlins.....and I have been on her!

I think most ships have a touch of holiday camp about them, the organised games, shows, the self serve buffets, struggles to find a spot round the pool to be near the food & the bar. All this can be avoided which we do.There is also a touch of ancient seaside hotel about too, with people sitting about in the public rooms reading & knitting

[quote name='Andyboy']Hi everyone, we are new to cruising and the Oceana is going to be our first. I have read many fantastic reviews about her, however, one or two have reffered to her as being a floating Butlins. Never fancied that type of holiday, not that I am saying there is anything wrong with Butlins, infact, we have a six year old Daughter who would probably love that, but it is not for us. Anyway, great forum/website and the question is in the title. Thanks.

Andy.[/QUOTE]

Andy,

What a load of tripe you have had to read before coming to the correct answer. :mad:

Of course Oceana is like Butlins all brash and with kids running around and the like . You would hate it.

However we are willing to do you a good turn and take your tickets off you and go in your place. We would offer you a fair if low price.

:):)Happy Cruising:):)

:cool:

Dai

[quote name='Gerrym']I just find it amusing that somone can form an opinion that a ship is tacky or classless from a picture.[/quote]

The thing is this.

I have seen the pictures - and they do not inspire me to spend a lot of money to confirm the experience.

I accept that seeing it in the flesh would make more sense - but I'm prepared to trust the oarsman. He seems a sensible bloke. Isn't that what you want me to do? Trust those who have seen it?

And I didn't say the ship was tacky - merely that the atrium was.

Archived