Golf Excursions on Dream

purpleblanket

i made the mistake of doing the golf excursions in every port available last year

there were some courses i wanted to play

NEVER AGAIN

was poorly organized, courses were actually so so and pro was constantly asking for tips ($)

was a very bad choice!!!

DH has taken CCL's golf tours several times, and is booked again in April

and June.

He's not booked on the Dream, but CCL uses Elite Golf Cruises, and we have found them to be great.

The pro takes care of everything, even down to bringing your bottled water. We were told that the pro will store your clubs if you wish. Yes, the pro goes with you on the tours.

DH has attended several golf seminars onboard, and had private lessons onboard. Not surabout the simulator. Think you may need to book an appt. --not sure.

DH thinks CCL does a good job with the tours, and the courses he's played were very nice.

Pat

My Husband has used Elite Golf on Carnival and it seems to be hit and miss with the Pro on board. He has played in St. Thomas a few times and enjoyed it. The last cruise we went on was the Liberty and he signed up for golf in St. Thomas and San Juan and both got cancelled. The pro on that cruise was more interested in selling equipment (they do have good prices) then he was in setting up excursions. That particular pro was very much into bragging about himself and name dropping at his seminars. DH was very dissapointed. The other times he has golfed in Cozumel, Jamaica, Grand Cayman, San Juan and Bermuda, he really enjoyed himself.

We just got off the Dream and 2 people in our group played Golf on St Thomas. They Loved it. Mahogany Bay was the name of it I think. i remember it cost about 200 dollars with Club Rental. but they loved it. We drove past the course on the island and it looks awesome. A lot of high and low areas with great views. They played with about 4 groups and they played with the golf pro as well with them.

Hope you have fun.

This course is beautiful. Definately one of my favorites on any Carnival Cruise. I have had nothing but good luck with Carnival Golf (Elite Golf). And I have golfed on almost every cruise I have been on. The golf pro handles everything. Yes they do go with you to the course.

I will say that just like everyone else on the ship...the golf pro makes most of his money off of sales. Whether that be selling equipment, getting people to actually golf, and selling lessons. And yes getting tips. Now I am not defending someone for constantly asking for tips...because that's a huge turnoff. The pro's that I have worked with have all been knowledable and actually helped me with my game while golfing...they generally try and make their way around the course to see those golfing!

Anyway, I loved Mahogany Run, hopefully your husband gets to golf here!! Tell him good luck on the Devil's Triangle! It's the course's three signature holes.

Good luck and have fun. I am set to go on the Valor...again...and will hopefully be golfing in Belize!

This course is beautiful. Definately one of my favorites on any Carnival Cruise. I have had nothing but good luck with Carnival Golf (Elite Golf). And I have golfed on almost every cruise I have been on. The golf pro handles everything. Yes they do go with you to the course.

I will say that just like everyone else on the ship...the golf pro makes most of his money off of sales. Whether that be selling equipment, getting people to actually golf, and selling lessons. And yes getting tips. Now I am not defending someone for constantly asking for tips...because that's a huge turnoff. The pro's that I have worked with have all been knowledable and actually helped me with my game while golfing...they generally try and make their way around the course to see those golfing!

Anyway, I loved Mahogany Run, hopefully your husband gets to golf here!! Tell him good luck on the Devil's Triangle! It's the course's three signature holes.

Good luck and have fun. I am set to go on the Valor...again...and will hopefully be golfing in Belize!

Thanks for the info! I will be sure to pass this along to my husband! He pretty much wants to golf and will determine himself whether he would do it again on a future cruise!

Debbie:)

As much as I've golfed with Carnival, I still am not sure if there is a right or wrong amount. Or even what truly is appropriate.

If I get the chance to golf with the Pro and they help me with my game, then I will certainly tip them. If I attend one of their free seminars on board and I found it beneficial, then the tip goes up. For me the tip is based upon the overall helpfulness of the pro. I have probably tipped anywhere from $10 - $50 depending upon what the pro has done for me. But like I said above...I am not sure what is appropriate.

I have become friends and still talk to some of Carnival pro's I have worked with before and they still won't tell me what is "appropriate". They just say to pay what I feel they deserved.

Hope this helps.

Maybe someone can tell us what an appropriate tip would be? Tip for lessons? Also do you tip for golfing with the pro?

Good Question! Also, just wondering with all the tipping that goes on, how much money do most people allot for tips AFTER they've already prepaid tips for the cruise?

Does anyone else have any opinions about golf exursions?

Debbie

We have golfed there 3 times. Great course. Only booked once thru cruise line. Booked online twice and saved about $50.00 each so about $100.00 for both my husband and I. We live in Florida so we took our own clubs. Mahogany Run in st thomas is a beautiful and fun course. I hope your husband goes because it really is memorable.

We have golfed there 3 times. Great course. Only booked once thru cruise line. Booked online twice and saved about $50.00 each so about $100.00 for both my husband and I. We live in Florida so we took our own clubs. Mahogany Run in st thomas is a beautiful and fun course. I hope your husband goes because it really is memorable.

Thanks for letting me know!

Debbie :)

Archived