LGA to Newark

jesusfreak7

jesusfreak7 -

We are also flying into LGA - but, in May - and sailing out of Cape Liberty. Our reason is also free S/W tix. When we fly home, we'll be flying out of EWR. We're coming in a couple days early, and staying in the Meadowlands area. Per suggestions on this board,

we've arranged transporation to the Meadowlands from LGA via Black Executive Car. Very nice people, and easy to deal with so far. For a standard car, they are charging us $85, plus optional gratuity. It would be about $10 more for an SUV-size vehicle.

To get some pricing you can contact them at blackcartrans@hotmail.com. They have an email link on their website, but I haven't been able to get that email addres to work. The hotmail address has worked great.

I don't really know the area, but it seems to me you'd be better off staying at a place that has an airport shutlle, near LGA, when you fly in, then take transporation (like Black Exec Car) the next day to the ship.

I feel like I'm still saving quite a bit of $$ by flying into LGA.

What Meadowland hotel did you end up going with?

Newark is dicey, and I tend to agree with Greatam. Thousands of travelers stay at hotels at LGA. It is not any more noisy than any other airport hotel. The OP needs to decide if spending a few extra dollars, but then having the option of arriving at your hotel to relax and eat dinner in a relatively short time, or shleping over to Jersey and adding an hour of travel time after the stress of airline travel will be worth it. There is plenty of time to get to the ship the next day. I think there is still plenty of time to find a property, it is not the NYC Marathon weekend.

I don't want to turn this into a "tipping" thread, but for the car/limo services around the Metro NY area, per a comment above I really would not look at gratuity for the limo driver as optional-budget on 18% or thereabouts. Also, if there are any bridge, tunnel or Turnpike tolls (which there definitely are between Laguardia and Newark), that is also in addition to the fare quoted.

We need to get some advice for your post trip hotel strategy. Are you looking at 1 or 2 rooms for that night? Priceline would be the Wall St. area or perhaps Soho. Hotwire would be Downtown-Soho.

I'm seeing the 4* hotel in Jersey City this morning on Hotwire for 10/9 for $179 + tax 4 people in a room. That would be either the Westin or the Hyatt. You will pay a little more in cab fare, but you will have a classy hotel by the Hudson with views of the NY skyline. Easy access to both uptown and downtown NY via Path ($1.75). Also, the morning you dock, your trip to Jersey City will be very quick. Drop off your bags and take off for NY. No sitting in traffic through the Holland or Lincoln Tunnel to get to a hotel in the city. Please pull up these hotels and check them out.

It all comes down to how much money you want to spend on the hotel - could you tell us what your budget is? It's really hard to offer advice without that information. Just remember that NY is large. Almost anywhere you stay, will require you to either walk a number of blocks, take the subway or bus, or take a cab. There is no perfect hotel location for everything.

Post trip - budget $200 or less would be nice. One room is fine, very doubtful that we could do 2 rooms on that budget. We get into port at 8:00am, we will plan on getting off the ship EARLY. We would like to just set up a tour for that day. We thought a scheduled tour of the city hightlights might be better with 'the moms' with us. If it was just my husband and I, I would say we could public transit and walk it, but I'd rather them not have to do all that walking. So with all your hotel suggestions, could you also suggest a tour company. We definitely want to go to the Empire State Bldg, Times Square and then just the city highlights. SOL would be nice, but we do sail right by it on the ship..so guess it wouldn't have to be a necessity. I will check out those hotels you suggested. Also, I did try and check out that Holiday Inn/Ramada on Priceline, I must have overlooked it, couldn't ever find it.

I don't want to turn this into a "tipping" thread, but for the car/limo services around the Metro NY area, per a comment above I really would not look at gratuity for the limo driver as optional-budget on 18% or thereabouts. Also, if there are any bridge, tunnel or Turnpike tolls (which there definitely are between Laguardia and Newark), that is also in addition to the fare quoted.

Ok, I probably didn't word that right. The car service said "optional" when they quoted me the price. We're planning on about at $15 tip (or more if the driver is really great)

What Meadowland hotel did you end up going with?

My sister (and DHs) got rooms via Hotwire at the Sheraton Meadowlands. $69/night. While it's not exactly in the heart of things, it's a good enough location for catching the ferry to the Statue of Liberty/Ellis Island on day 2. From the SOL, we'll take the ferry to NY to do more sightseeing there.

Post trip - budget $200 or less would be nice. One room is fine, very doubtful that we could do 2 rooms on that budget. We get into port at 8:00am, we will plan on getting off the ship EARLY. We would like to just set up a tour for that day. We thought a scheduled tour of the city hightlights might be better with 'the moms' with us. If it was just my husband and I, I would say we could public transit and walk it, but I'd rather them not have to do all that walking. So with all your hotel suggestions, could you also suggest a tour company. We definitely want to go to the Empire State Bldg, Times Square and then just the city highlights. SOL would be nice, but we do sail right by it on the ship..so guess it wouldn't have to be a necessity. I will check out those hotels you suggested. Also, I did try and check out that Holiday Inn/Ramada on Priceline, I must have overlooked it, couldn't ever find it.

IMHO, the BEST NY city tour

http://www.grayline.com/Grayline/destinations/us/newyork.go?mode=activityDetail&apid=2444&sid=529

I have been on this tour at least 20 times (take all my new employees on the tour who have NOT been to NYC). Here is what we do:

"UNLESS they have changed the "tour" significantly, it really is a "do it yourself tour" with all the pieces put together by Grayline. You get the Lady of the Harbor cruise tickets, ESB tickets and a ho-ho pass. The downtown "loop" takes approximately 2 hours IF you do not get off the bus (but you can and I always do). The ESB takes as long as you want to look around.

I always take my employees on the HoHo bus first. We generally get off the bus in Greenwich Village and wander around, catch the bus again for Chinatown/Little Italy, get off, wander around and at that point, you can either get back on the HoHo bus to the WTC area OR take the subway/bus/taxi down to the WTC/Battery Park area Lots of history around that area. You can get off around Wall Street (if this interests you), or see the WTC and end up in Battery Park. You really need to get a good tourist map of NYC to see where all these places are and what interests you. And also the schedule for the HoHo bus (on the Grayline website or it was)

Then we go on the Lady of the Harbor cruise (I haven't had anyone state they didn't like it and I have some grumpy employees). We hit the ESB on the way back uptown, with a couple of extra stops. You can either get the HoHo bus back uptown (pass is good for 24 hours), but we generally take the subway since so many of my employees have never been on anything other than a bus.

I always stop at the basketball courts on West 4th St just north of Houston off Ave of the Americas (6th Ave). Some of the best streetball in the US is played on those courts and you never can tell who might show up to play (NBA stars are frequent visitors). My employees always have a good time watching. Then we make our way North to the ESB (try to time it so we get there about dusk-I just think the ESB is more "magical" at night). An hour there oh'ing and ah'ing and everyone is tired and ready for dinner and bed. We then walk down to Tad's Steakhouse and have the cliche CHEAP NY steak. To bed we go." (I do this EVERY trip-lots of kudos as this REALLY gives the highlights of NYC)

The "Mom's" may not enjoy the stop at the basketball courts, but your DH will. And across the street from the basketball courts are a lot of little stores and some of the best NY "street" pizza you will eat. You are in the heart of the West Village-lots of music and art history-Bob Dylan, Janice Joplin, Joan Baez-all performed on the street right outside the basketball courts. Some of the BEST music from the 60's/70's happened within 2 blocks AND-on Thompson, about 1/2 block north of Bleecker-LIVE poultry. When I first saw this in the 70's, they told me it was because of "witchcraft"/black magic/spells. I know better now-these are REAL live chickens/ducks/poultry for SALE. REALLY weird in the middle of Greenwich village.

The Explorer sails by the SOL, but doesn't really come that close. You have to sail out of Manhattan to go right by it.

I don't think the Holiday Inn/Ramada is on Priceline/Hotwire. The price is incredibly inexpensive to begin with - they don't need to job it out for bidding. You have to look on Kayak - I think it is being offered by Hotels.com. I am picky about the hotel location in Newark - it is a very urban area. If I were to use Priceline or Hotwire, I wouldn't bid on anything less than 3* and probably would only do 3 1/2*+.

Did you look at the Westin and the Hyatt in Jersey City? There is a Path station very close to each hotel. It will take you either uptown to 34th & 6th (1 avenue from the EOS) or downtown to the World Trade Center - http://www.panynj.gov/path/. I like this NY subway map because it shows you exactly where the stations are - http://www.onnyturf.com/subway/

Time Out. :D My advice was based on your original post of wanting to see the SOL and Ground Zero. Now I am reading you want to see the ESB and Midtown. Firstly, the cruises from Bayonne, do not pass right by the SOL. You will see it, but not like the pictures posted on another thread taken from ships that left from Manhattan. A Meadowlands location would work fine if you are okay with taking the commuter bus into the bus terminal and then walking a few blocks to where you catch the hop on, hop off bus. I do believe there is a HOHO bus that transfers to a boat ride past the

SOL. They also now have a "JAWS" boat/bus thingy that is like the Duck Tour in Boston and other places. It goes on land and sea. I actuall saw it in front of Macys one day, so it goes all over the place. lol I know there are so many options and it is confusing. First honestly answer if your group is up for public transportation. If they are not, it will narrow your choices.

OMG! Thanks so much! That definitely sounds like a plan! Once we get our hotel nailed down, then I can get a tourist map and plan it all out! Sounds like SO much fun! I've only been to NY once, and it was a very long time ago - so I sure don't remember much, however, I remember a great bakery and it seems like it was in Greenwich Village!

Got2Cruise:

Sorry - I've probably confused everyone! Since I'm not familiar with NY, seems my best bet is to get a tourist map and decide EXACTLY what all we want to do. We probably want to do too much for just a one day trip!

138east:

I did check out those hotels and they look great!

Hi Jesusfreak,

I think this is getting confusing! Isn't it great that folks try to help others on this thread! I used to live in the NY area, and it is confusing even for those who live there!

Unless it is significantly cheaper, I still feel that staying in the LGA area for the night prior might be a better bet. Then the next morning after breakfast and rush hour (you need to minimize travel in the NY area during morning/evening rush hour as things can be crazy!) you can get a car service to take you right over to the port at Bayonne (note: this way you only have one car service ride!). Then when you get off your cruise you can have a car service set up to take you into NY (however, I think you might have trouble finding a hotel for a budget of $200 in Manhattan).

I am always in favor of trying to keep things simple, and NY is not simple. I am also not a fan of the area around Newark airport (the Meadowlands area is fine, but not terribly convenient for what you are trying to do).

Just my two cents worth!

I am TOTALLy confused. But this is what I am extroplating:

Flying into LGA at 7PM, need to board the cruise out of NJ the NEXT day. 2 70+ 'MOM's" on tow. Need to get to the ship.

AFTER the cruise, want to spend ONE day in NYC sighseeing??? Then fly out of LGA???

My opinion: Staying in NJ pre cruise is a waste of time and money, no matter how cheap the hotel is, not to mention the late night hassle. TWO transfers-NY to NJ and then NJ to the port.

Stay around LGA-3.5* BIDDING on Priceline. Should be NO MORE than $100 PER ROOM at a top flght hotel. Food, other services available. When you return from the cruise-you have FEW choices. Stay in NJ and take the path. You STILL have to figure out how to get back to LGA ($70-100). OR move IMMEDIATELY after the cruise to NYC and take the tour I posted. Will show you ESB, Manhattan, SOL and all the other things you want to see. This involves an IMMEDIATE transfer from the cruise port to NYC.

Hotels are??? Some expensive, some cheap. I ALWAYS use Priceline for the NYC hotels. Takes some work (rebidding/maybe not the same hotel-example-bidding for the LGA area 3.5* is ONLY the the Marriott and the Crowne-across the street from each other). BUT always have some great deals. I know I probably confused the issue even further BUT you have to know how to BID on Priceline.

Hotels are??? Some expensive, some cheap. I ALWAYS use Priceline for the NYC hotels. Takes some work (rebidding/maybe not the same hotel-example-bidding for the LGA area 3.5* is ONLY the the Marriott and the Crowne-across the street from each other). BUT always have some great deals. I know I probably confused the issue even further BUT you have to know how to BID on Priceline.

I agree - try to keep it simple. Staying at LGA is simpler, but it's only going to work well for you if you can get 2 rooms on Priceline that fit your budget. IMO a decent hotel for $200 for 4 people is going to be difficult in Manhattan. Jersey City is a viable option - both Hotwire and Candlewood Suites are in the $200 range for 10/9. Path is close by and you can go to either midtown or downtown safely and relatively quickly. You can also do a big loop - go downtown and do the SOL and Ground Zero - take the tour bus or subway around and get off in midtown, and go back to Jersey City on Path from one of the 4 stations along 6th ave between 33rd and 8th.

Thanks to you ALL for your suggestions. I am doing the following: Keep trying PL for the LGA hotel, Find a car service to take us from the LGA hotel to the ship. Then post-trip I am looking for a hotel in Manhattan and will probably need to up my budget, we will take the city tour as posted by "greatam", then find car service from the Manhattan hotel back to LGA. I wished I knew more about PL, I guess this is one way to learn!!! Does anyone have suggestions on what time to tell the car service to pick us up from the LGA hotel the day of the ship departure? I know it will be rush hour and I wasn't sure how long it takes to get to the pier. THANKS!

I agree - try to keep it simple. Staying at LGA is simpler, but it's only going to work well for you if you can get 2 rooms on Priceline that fit your budget. IMO a decent hotel for $200 for 4 people is going to be difficult in Manhattan. Jersey City is a viable option - both Hotwire and Candlewood Suites are in the $200 range for 10/9. Path is close by and you can go to either midtown or downtown safely and relatively quickly. You can also do a big loop - go downtown and do the SOL and Ground Zero - take the tour bus or subway around and get off in midtown, and go back to Jersey City on Path from one of the 4 stations along 6th ave between 33rd and 8th.

Staying at LGA in a 3.5* hotel is really the easiest, pre cruise-both money wise and "mom" wise. There are ONLY 2 3.5* hotels available on Priceline in the area. Crowne Plaza and Marriott-across the street from each other. I RARELY bid for 2 rooms. I only do one at a time BECAUSE two rooms in the same hotel is harder to bid for. What difference does it make if two moms are in the Marriott or Crowne and the two others are across the street??? BOTH have VERY decent hotels, within a very short distance from each other. Bid for ONE room at a time. IF you keep to 3.5*, you will be across the street from each other at the WORST.

Staying at LGA in a 3.5* hotel is really the easiest, pre cruise-both money wise and "mom" wise. There are ONLY 2 3.5* hotels available on Priceline in the area. Crowne Plaza and Marriott-across the street from each other. I RARELY bid for 2 rooms. I only do one at a time BECAUSE two rooms in the same hotel is harder to bid for. What difference does it make if two moms are in the Marriott or Crowne and the two others are across the street??? BOTH have VERY decent hotels, within a very short distance from each other. Bid for ONE room at a time. IF you keep to 3.5*, you will be across the street from each other at the WORST.

Thanks! Great Advice! I'll try that! That makes me sad about that tour...guess we'll be looking for another!

Well... so much for my PLAN! Guess we'll do another tour....any suggestions again?

It looks like there are still a few good options for on/off tour buses. We haven't decided which one we're going to do yet. We'll just have one day to do the bus (the next day we'll be doing SOL/Ellis Island with my sister). Even tho we're just using the bus for one day, we'll most likely buy a 48-hour/all loops pass. I'm thinking we'll stay on each bus to see the full loop, then figure out where we want to get off. My priority right now is Time Square, Empire State bldg and a carriage ride in Central Park.

Archived