Hyatt Pier 66

dancing

On a previous board about Fll Hotels, Colo Cruiser said "not to stay at Hyatt Pier 66" it is dirty. I trust the people on these boards and wonder how others feel about this hotel. When was the last time anyone stayed at this hotel and what did they think about it. We are booked for 2 post nights in April, tower room.

On a previous board about Fll Hotels, Colo Cruiser said "not to stay at Hyatt Pier 66" it is dirty. I trust the people on these boards and wonder how others feel about this hotel. When was the last time anyone stayed at this hotel and what did they think about it. We are booked for 2 post nights in April, tower room.

We haved stayed there twice now (Easter 2003 and 2004) and it is our first choice hotel for FLL. My nieces family are also staying there in March (having stayed with us in 2004) and they can't wait to get back there. A great hotel and excellent eating to suit every taste and pocket. Haven't stayed in the tower but wished we had. Unfortunately Priceline customers are not allowed in the tower rooms.

I doubt if you'll regret your choice.

Peter in UK

We stayed here one night before our past cruise and one night after the cruise back in August.

We actually got the same room twice. We were not in the tower and we had a bunch of yachts right outside our room. The pools were great - the concierge was VERY rude but the rest of the staff was great.

I would say our room was not worn but that is not to say others weren't. It was quite a walk to the main building but we found it quiet but convenient to the pools (stairway right outside our door).

I would definitely stay at this hotel again. In fact we might stay again before our upcoming cruise on the CP.

BTW there is a prix fixed menu at the Grill 66 right on the marina that is VERY good - you can sit outside on the marina - I recommend it.

We had heard some negative reviews before we went expecting some issues but we were very happy.

The only negative reviews about this hotel pertain to lanai (garden rooms). I've only stayed in Tower rooms and can honestly say that they're really lovely and that there's not a single thing to complain about there. You definitely can't beat the full side view of the ship (bow to stern, waterline to the top of the funnel) as well as the rest of the port. I've stayed here three times in the past 12 months and few times before that for cruises and my only gripes are:

1. The menu by the pool seems a little limited

2. Drink prices in the Pier Top lounge are sky high ($12 martinis)

3. Service in the Pier Top is beyond slow

None of these are enough to keep me from coming back, though. I'm going to be there for three nights before my 2/7 Sun cruise. I'm using Gold Passport points which gets me a lanai room. When we checked in in December also using points, though, they smilingly upgraded me to the Tower. I have my fingers crossed for this time as well.

Oh, and for contrast, I've also stayed at the Marriott Harbor Beach. The Pier 66 is much quieter and not as overrun with kids.

Dancing,

I have stayed at Pier 66 and was quite disappointed. The hotel was dirty, service was extremely slow for food that wasn't very good.

I would compare it to an old Holiday Inn

I would not stay there again.

I travel quite frequently for both business and pleasure - it is OFF my list.

Have a good day!

I agree with Chris. The lanai rooms are the culprits in this fiasco. Anybody that books a room with priceline will be put in the 2 story Lanai building behind the tower near the pool. The rooms are in bad need of refurbishing and the garden area between the rooms (balconies) and the pool was littered with food trash bones etc. I am not that picky but it was bad. The rooms were filthy as well as the bathrooms. We asked to be moved and looked at 3 other rooms that were the same. They would not upgrade us to the tower as there were no rooms available. We put up with it and stayed as we were only there 2 days. Yes it is a beautiful piece of property but unfortunatly with priceline always filling up there sagging bookings it probably will be awhile before any remodeling is done. I know that this will suffice for some people but not for me. Hope this helps. :)

I would think there would be differences inthe rooms btween the lenai rooms and the tower. THe lenai rooms are going to be redone mid year 2005 (per the hotel). Also, the rates on priceline are in the $100 range but the tower rooms are $295. We are staying at the Hyatt for $305 in a tower exec room prior toour Westerdam cruise. It seems to be the only decent 4 star hotel in the area.

The Tower Exec room is very nice with a sitting area (couch and two chairs) a desk nearer to the sliding door and a nice balcony with two chairs and a small table. The bath is marble, the toilet is in a separate room (within the bath) with a door, and there are two sinks.

The regular tower rooms are exactly the same minus the big sitting area. They have a chair and ottoman.

IF you're staying in a tower room request the SW view over the Port. You will be rewarded with great views of the port.

If you're interested, the hotel's website has pictures of all types of accomodations so you can see the difference in the rooms.

In June of 2003 we stayed at the Renaissance pre cruise and Hyatt pier 66 post cruise. The Renaissance is a much better property (Room), though the grounds don't compare to the Hyatt's grounds. Our Lanai priceline room had ants and the toilet overflowed at 4AM. We were so tired having just returned from a B2B cruise. Otherwise, I would have thrown a huge fit. Those rooms are definately not deserving of the 4 star rating. They said they'd move us to a tower room for a small fee of $100.00. I think not. I would never stay there by choice. I hope I get the Ren again for the upcoming cruise. I'll be very disappointed if we end up with the Hyatt. I am considering bidding on the 3 star properties instead but I am afraid I'll end up with one of the undesirables in that category too.

Could you give me an idea what the undesirable hotels are in the 3* catagories in FLL?

I have been trying for 2.5* (Amerisuites hopefully, like the location and amenities) in downtown and Priceline has not accepted my bid. I am almost ready to move up to 3* downtown to win something. What are my chances of getting something OK?

The quality of hotels in FLL, in my opinion, does not match the "rating" of the hotels. I've stayed at several hotels there and generally been disappointed. Perhaps it's all the hard use they get. I'm using Marriott points to stay at the Courtyard for our pre-cruise stay. You always know what you are getting with a Courtyard.

We stayed in a tower room post cruise at Pier 66 and enjoyed our visit very much. We stayed at the Embassy Suites pre cruise and enjoyed that also. If we return to FLL again, we wouldn't hesitate to stay at either hotel.

I should have said in my earlier reply that we've also stayed at the Emabassy Suites and The Sheraton Yankee Trader. We would be happy to stay in any of these hotels but our first choice would always be the Pier 66. Unfortunately bad experiences do occur in any hotel on any holiday. So until I get a bad experience I stick with what I like best, but I do understand that some people have had a bad experience and I don't blame them for choosing other hotels.

Peter

Could you give me an idea what the undesirable hotels are in the 3* catagories in FLL?

I have been trying for 2.5* (Amerisuites hopefully, like the location and amenities) in downtown and Priceline has not accepted my bid. I am almost ready to move up to 3* downtown to win something. What are my chances of getting something OK?

The Holiday Inn is the one I've read some bad reviews of recently. I've never stayed there but I am so picky with hotels that if I read something more than once about cleanliness, I'm not likely to stay there. Hotel dirt gives me the creeps :o

My opinion of the hotel situation started when we stayed at the Embassy Suites back in 92. It was a Crown Sterling Suite Hotel then and was very good. These hotels have been there during the entire cruise line boom in the late 80' early 90's and have been constantly full over a 4 day period thur,fri sat sun during the week for years. The Embassy for instance was in bad need of a refurbishing in 2002. We have stayed there numerous times. It is hard for the hotels to do this without shutting the building down which is not feasible. The Embassy will do a few rooms at a time and by the time they finish it is time to start over again. There is not a lot of incentive by the corporation to fix things when the hotel is sold out consistantly and making money.

Two cats check the reviews on the Amersuites as well. The ones that I have seen are not good. Most people stay there because they can leave their car there all week.

We've stayed at the Pier 66 three times, most recently in December...and for the first time, we got a hint (whiff) of what others have complained about. my parents are smokers...and smokers are apparently put on the ground floor linae rooms. The room smelled overwhelmingly like mold. Not a hint, not a faint background odor. The smell punched you in the face. When we complained, they moved my folks to a smaller second-floor room on the other side of the complex.

Will we stay there again? Yes. The pool is great, as is the stroll along the yachts and the revolving bar. But we will always insist (when we call to confirm our priceline reservation) on a second-story room.

Archived