How do I get a Lounge Chair by the pool?

Beaches n cream

Wow! Here's a thought. It sounds to me like the problem is there are not enough lounge chairs. Maybe the cruise ships need to supply more chairs and this problem would go away.

I think if someone is sitting by the pool for a while and wants to go to his/her room for 10-15 minutes and come back to the chair, it really shouldn't be an issue.

Also, how does anyone know that someone has left their chair for 2 hours? Are you monitoring the chair?

Basically, I have 2 points:

1. Cruise lines need more pool chairs

2. People need to be reasonable and not selfish. Reserving eight chairs at 8am with nobody in them for awhile seems really obnoxious, self-centered and childish. HOWEVER, getting up from your chair for a 20 minute break is reasonable.

since i was sitting by the empty chairs with books on it for over 2 hours guess i was monitoring the chairs. people like that makes me angry. everyone who asked about chairs heard me say they had been empty for 2 hours but no one had the nerve to move their stuff. if i need a chair i would after 30 minutes of waiting.

I think this attitude is dead wrong! Why should anyone on a cruise ship be entitled to a particular spot "all day long"? Everyone has paid the price and everyone should be entitled to a little time at a favorite spot, by the pool or somewhere else. The idea that you should be entitled, just because you came down early and grabbed a chair, is rediculous. It would be like going to the dining room, grabbing a chair at 6:30 a.m., and then claiming that chair for the entire day.

Not only is being a "chair hog" rude, insensitive and downright greedy, but claiming a chair for the entire day, or cruise is just as rude, insensitive and greedy. Didn't anyone ever teach these people about sharing? It's as if they all went to the Gordon Gekko school of manners, where greed is good, along with being rude and insensitive.

Nobody should be hogging a chair, occupied or not, for more than a couple of hours if there are people waiting for a chance to use the chairs.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

P.S. Information is good, and good information is invaluable!

Hmmm...I don't usually reply to chair hog threads....mainly because

I am not one to sit out but in this case I have to say something.

Bobby, you think there should be a time limit on how long you are allowed

to lay out?:eek:..seriously? Maybe my elevator doesn't go all the way

to the top and I am not the brighest one in the bunch but I have to

say that makes absolutely no sense to me.:confused:....if you are laying out

and there are folks looking for a place to sit....those laying out should

get up after 2 hours?

I don't think chair hogs are people who are using their chairs.

I always thought a chair hog was when an item such as a towel

or book is on the chair WITHOUT a person...for an hour or so....

but then again, what do I know?:rolleyes:

Hmmm...I don't usually reply to chair hog threads....mainly because

I am not one to sit out but in this case I have to say something.

Bobby, you think there should be a time limit on how long you are allowed

to lay out?:eek:..seriously? Maybe my elevator doesn't go all the way

to the top and I am not the brighest one in the bunch but I have to

say that makes absolutely no sense to me.:confused:....if you are laying out

and there are folks looking for a place to sit....those laying out should

get up after 2 hours?

I don't think chair hogs are people who are using their chairs.

I always thought a chair hog was when an item such as a towel

or book is on the chair WITHOUT a person...for an hour or so....

but then again, what do I know?:rolleyes:

Your interpretation was correct, Lois. Bobby is pretty much on an island by himself on this one.

Here is what my posts were intended to elicit, and it certainly worked. I believe there are more "Chair Hogs" complaining on this board about other types of "Chair Hogs." It's amazing how quick some of you jumped all over my posts about the "other" type of "Chair Hog." Even people who don't normally post on "Chair Hog" threads. It would appear that my posts hit a nerve. Some of you believe that you aren't "Chair Hogs" if you occupy the chair ALL DAY LONG.

Frankly, I don't care much about either kind of "Chair Hog," because if I want a chair, and one isn't available in the more desirable locations, I just seek out a chair in a less desirable location. I've never found it difficult to walk from the uppermost deck down to the pool and back, and I'm sure the exercise does me good. I never save chairs, on deck or in the theater. I have never availed myself of anytime dining, because I, just as most of you here, prefer traditional dining.

And, Jack, as for my not having a cruise currently booked aboard Celebrity, it doesn't mean I don't enjoy Celebrity, and haven't enjoyed Celebrity in the past. When the time, itinerary and price align, I will sail Celebrity again. By the way, what's it to you? You think that only those who agree with you, and only sail on Celebrity get to post here. I have a different look at the idea of fairness, and isn't that what Cruise Critic is all about.

It's amazing that none of you who have lambasted me for my opinion seem to think anything about the 30 minute rule, and probably would be all over the attendants at the 31 minute mark, but woe be to anyone who would suggest that "hogging" a chair all day long is a little bit greedy.

As usual, though, when someone doesn't agree with the Celebrity Cheerleaders we get pummeled unmercilessly.

If you wonder what I'm like when I'm "not feeling laid back, well rested and relaxed!" That's something you'll never know, because I always feel "laid back, well rested and relaxed!" It's one of the benefits of having retired nearly 13 years ago at the ripe old age of 42.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Guess you missed the whole point of this thread.

I don't think I missed it at all. The original question was: "How do I get a Lounge Chair by the pool?" I believe I suggested a more than reasonalbe alternative, that offers fairness and the opportunity for everyone to get a chair by the pool. I'm sure there may even be other answers, besides the "get there early and keep it all day long" answer.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Bob,

As I recall, you have sailed Celebrity twice in the last 19 or 20 years. I believe that the various boards are essentially intended to convey information to other cruisers vis-a-vis the lines which are featured on the aforesaid boards. Ego, I am more inclined to value the informational comments of those who are rather experienced cruisers on the boards wehreon they post. At the same time, I attempt to disregard the complainers who have very little experience on the cruise lines upon which they vent their spleen.

Bob,

As I recall, you have sailed Celebrity twice in the last 19 or 20 years. I believe that the various boards are essentially intended to convey information to other cruisers vis-a-vis the lines which are featured on the aforesaid boards. Ego, I am more inclined to value the informational comments of those who are rather experienced cruisers on the boards wehreon they post. At the same time, I attempt to disregard the complainers who have very little experience on the cruise lines upon which they vent their spleen.

Jack, Jack, Jack:

My last two cruises were on Celebrity, which means that my most recent experiences were aboard Celebrity, and they were both within the last three years. By the way, the subject of "Chair Hogs" is applicable across almost all cruise lines and ships. Did you really mean "Ego"? Oh, and if you "disregard the complainers," and I was suggesting a different alternative to the OP, why do you always take the time to attack me? Actually, I know why you attack me, and it's because you don't view me as a Celebrity Cheerleader, so no matter what I say, you consider me fair game for flaming.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

Bob,

As I recall, you have sailed Celebrity twice in the last 19 or 20 years. I believe that the various boards are essentially intended to convey information to other cruisers vis-a-vis the lines which are featured on the aforesaid boards. Ego, I am more inclined to value the informational comments of those who are rather experienced cruisers on the boards whereon they post. At the same time, I attempt to disregard the complainers who have very little experience on the cruise lines upon which they vent their spleen.

"Ego" should have been "Ergo"

"Ego" should have been "Ergo"

That makes sense. I guess I should have figured that one out. I still don't understand why we must be at odds. You love cruising! I love cruising! You get to do more cruising, but it doesn't mean that I don't want to cruise more.

Happy cruising to all!

Bob

I don't understand why everyone is flaming Bob, his suggestion seems perfectly reasonable to me. If all cruisers had say 3 hours to be poolside then noone would get in a tiz as everyone would know they would get a turn, regardless of whether they were early birds or liked lay-ins. Pressure to "get down there" or "get back within 30 mins" is off. Noone feeling hard done by; no lounger patrol needed; no chair hoggers to be mindful of. :D

No, I haven't been on a cruise before, let alone a Celebrity one, but I can't really see what difference that makes :rolleyes:.

Besides, is laying by the pool the only thing to do on ship?

I don't understand why everyone is flaming Bob, his suggestion seems perfectly reasonable to me. If all cruisers had say 3 hours to be poolside then noone would get in a tiz as everyone would know they would get a turn, regardless of whether they were early birds or liked lay-ins. Pressure to "get down there" or "get back within 30 mins" is off. Noone feeling hard done by; no lounger patrol needed; no chair hoggers to be mindful of. :D

No, I haven't been on a cruise before, let alone a Celebrity one, but I can't really see what difference that makes :rolleyes:.

Besides, is laying by the pool the only thing to do on ship?

24 hours in the day. Let's say 9 hours in which people actually would want a sun lounger. Let's say 100 loungers at the most beside the pool. So that means 300 people can get a lounger by the pool in the day. What about the rest of the passengers who want one? This would never work!

If you want to lay in the lounger all day by the pool do it. As long as you are actually using it, why should you give it to some one who can't be bothered to get up early enough to get one?

Timed lounger access is nonsense. First come first served is the only way. I think those that do the most complaining are those who think they have a right to a lounger when they have chosen to do other things first. Don't see the attraction of lying by the pool with all those bodies crammed in together. I am perfectly happy not to have a lounger if I wander down in the afternoon. I am not happy to see loungers reserved but not used at any time.

Folks, we are fairly experienced cruisers, having cruised about 25 times in the last eleven years, and five times in 2009 and 2010 (2010 still to come). The five cruises in 2009 and 2010 are on five different ships; and, quite frankly we have never experienced any major problems with the so called "chair hogs". Whenever we have wanted a chair we were able to obtain one, although we did not always obtain one right next to the pool. But, so what-what is the big deal. These ships are Emerald Princess, Celebrity Equinox, Ruby Princess, Radiance of the Seas and Celebrity Constellation. We are also booked on the Equinox for 2011.

24 hours in the day. Let's say 9 hours in which people actually would want a sun lounger. Let's say 100 loungers at the most beside the pool. So that means 300 people can get a lounger by the pool in the day. What about the rest of the passengers who want one? This would never work!

If you want to lay in the lounger all day by the pool do it. As long as you are actually using it, why should you give it to some one who can't be bothered to get up early enough to get one?

Errr, so you're saying it's ok for 100 people to have one "prime spot" lounger all day than for 300 people to have an opportunity to use a "prime spot lounger"....

I am assuming it is only these "prime spot loungers" that are the bone of contention.

Errr, so you're saying it's ok for 100 people to have one "prime spot" lounger all day than for 300 people to have an opportunity to use a "prime spot lounger"....

As long as those 100 people are using them and not just leaving towels and things on them. I have no problem with it whatsoever. They get up early so they can enjoy the day in their favourite spot.

This is my opinion. If you get up early and get a lounger by the pool, it is yours for as long as you are sitting in it.

But, for gosh sakes, if you get up to go for lunch, pick up your towels and let someone else sit there. Unless you plan to have your lunch on the loungers.

Oh yes, toilet breaks are allowed:)

Oops! I forgot to say that I have seen the same problem in all the hotels we have vacationed at...exclusive or not.

I remember when vacationing in Ixtapa, in my twenties, I got up at 7:00 a.m. to get a prime location by the pool. It was still dark.

Fool that I was. I, actually, thought that being in the sun all day was cool.:rolleyes:

As long as those 100 people are using them and not just leaving towels and things on them. I have no problem with it whatsoever. They get up early so they can enjoy the day in their favourite spot.

So.....

What about the rest of the passengers who want one?

Archived