QM2 5/21 Eastbound TA

mike14c

• 4 weeks later...

We three musketeers, Ron, Tom and I are also aboard QM2 on the 21st Eastbound. Ron and I are westbound on the 1st June too. We're QG so we should be seeing you Mike14c, and hopefully a few other Gents and Ladies.

Mike

Mike, sorry no, this is a chance to spend a few days in London. So we're up to London on Friday, and back to Southampton on Tuesday for the westbound. I hope your doing more than the short one, perhaps sailing over or back with us?

Best Mike.

Hi Mike, unfortunately only doing the short cruise!:( This is our first trip on the Mary, &, even though it's only 4 nights, am really looking forward to it. Would have been great to meet some of our gay American cousins on board!:D. I am sure you will enjoy your trip over & have a great time in London. Regards, Mike.

• 3 weeks later...

Mike ( the Welsh One ) There are quite a number of people going on your 3day, who have signed up for the 21st eastbound and the 1st June westbound. There is a Cunard Roll Call for this voyage, and there are quite a number off participants, some are "suspects" I suspect we will know more after the first Friends of Dorothy.

I will have my computer and will update you on what we find.

Best Mike. (the California one)

Everybody on this thread is named Mike. Cooooooool!

Mike14c - how was the Solstice? We tried its sister Equinox last year when it sailed from the UK & thought it was great. Much more stylish & better fitted out than some of the Britsh ships!

The Welsh Mike

Welsh Mike:

The Solstice was very nice indeed. Beautiful, fun ship with a ton of fun stuff. We loved it. It was an Atlantis Cruise -- my first one -- and i must say the whole gay cruise thing was really great. in fact, we booked another one for next year!

Mike from New York

Welsh Mike:

It was an Atlantis Cruise -- my first one -- and i must say the whole gay cruise thing was really great. in fact, we booked another one for next year!

Mike from New York

New York Mike

Sounds like you had a good time. I have never tried the whole gay cruise thing...the publicity always shows such fit young 'uns not wearing much! Is there a place for us middle-agers (me not you!)?. Also, for you in the states, how much of a premium is there on these cruises compared to ordinary ones?

Welshy

Welsh Mike:

As far as the gay cruise goes, I was a little nervous being middled aged myself (just turned 45) and NOT the fit smooth brochure type seen in the marketing by a long shot. To my surprise, reliefe and delight (in that order) from the moment I got on the ship it was clear that there was a tremendous diversity of people of every type and age and I felt comfortable every minute. So honestly, if it seems the least bit like it might be a fun idea to you -- go for it! I really had a ball, made a lot of fun shipboard friends (including a few young hotties!) and found the entire experience really positive.

NYC Mike

The Queen Mary 2 always has the "friends of Dorothy" sometimes "Rainbow Pride" as well. We've had many friends do the all gay cruises. Just not my thing. It's too much of a party all the time feeling for me.Being partnered for the last 16 years, we prefer the laid back Cunard style cruise. Trust me..There's plenty of members of "The Empire"(as I like to call ourselves)on Cunard. Everyone's always a little shy at the first "FOD" meeting. Afterwards we all liven up once we get talking. It's always fun to do excursions with others. Sometimes, however they get all booked in advance. In that case you can get together & do your own excursions with some of the new friends you make.

New York Mike

Sounds like you had a good time. I have never tried the whole gay cruise thing...the publicity always shows such fit young 'uns not wearing much! Is there a place for us middle-agers (me not you!)?. Also, for you in the states, how much of a premium is there on these cruises compared to ordinary ones?

Welshy

Just as Cunard (or any cruise line's) publicity doesn't reflect a true picture of the passengers. :) Gay cruises have passengers fon all over the spectrum: young and old, model and not so pretty. ;)

Agree with the above posts emphaticaly. On both crossings we've done in the past we met lots of fun ho-mo-sexuls and even had a couple of fun cocktial parties with our new friends. I'm one of those awfully shy people at FOD stuff, but will force myself to attend -- so be nice to me if you seem me!!

I'm one of those awfully shy people at FOD stuff, but will force myself to attend -- so be nice to me if you seem me!!

Force yourself indeed!! Can't believe you are shy, Mike.:D ....& I'm always nice anyway.;)

Yes looking forward to the FOD's on the Mary, & all I gotta do is convince the other half regarding an all gay cruise.

Hey Guys, just booked QG for this crossing with my partner. This is a "bucket list" event for him and he has always been a huge fan of the White Star and Cunard lines. We have stayed on the QM in Long Beach. This is my first cruise and I have to admit I've been a little nervous about the trip but the more i read up on it, the more excited i get.

Cheers!

Jim

To all the Mikes (and other FOD) on the EB voyage of QM20521:

I am Skyhigh's partner and leave it to him to find a blog about cruises that resembles all too closely Flyertalk.com!:) Needless to say, we are flying back from London to Houston on 05/31.

This is my second cruise - the first was with the girlfriend from hell in college one Spring Break - but as Jim said, yes, sailing Cunard was/is always on the top of my travel list. You see, the trouble with being married to someone in airline management is that he wants to FLY everywhere! Tahiti? There's a flight for that. Fiji? Yep. Hong Kong. Ditto. Europe? You gotta ask? Africa - Why? <response> Oh, well, Virgin flies to Cape Town seasonally. Australia. Can't we use your miles on Quantas? You get the point.

When I initially contacted the travel agent last week about booking Southampton to New York, the sailing was fully booked, so we consider ourselves fortunate to have "nabbed" a QG cabin heading the other way.

Taking Mike's counsel into consideration, I ordered additional dinner dress shirts today. :)

Seriously, though, it is good to know that there isn't just the staid, grey-haired, "man-and-wife" types on-board that one sees in the brochures. I would never hear the end of it from Jim (Skyhigh) otherwise. When I told him this was the year for our May vacation to be on the QM2, he literally sent me a text message last Friday that said, "All the reviews are written by people in their 50s," and "If it's cold, they're old."

Rob't.

P.S. Please tell me that Jim's global BB doesn't somehow work on the high seas!

Archived