Century 1/23-1/28 Review

num1crewsfam

My husband and I recently sailed on X Century…Jan 23rd-28. Ports of call were Jamaica and Grand Cayman. I will try and keep this as short as possible…any questions, please feel free to ask.

We arranged our own air and flew into Miami the morning of the cruise. After landing in Miami we chose to buy transfers to the pier through the Celebrity kiosk in the luggage area. Though this worked well for us upon arrival, we would not choose to use the service in the future. It is cheaper to use a taxi, and you don’t arrive with an entire bus load of passengers. We took a taxi back to the airport when the cruise was finished, very easy, less money, no waiting, faster trip.

We arrived at the pier at about 11:30. There were probably about 100 people in front of us trying to get through security, so no real lines to speak of. We used the suite line to check in, so basically just walked up to the check in desk. The young woman checking us in barely looked up and never once greeted us. For whatever reason it took her an unusually long time to get us checked in, and when she was finished, we had to ask her if we were done as she still was not speaking. Very odd experience. Walked up the gang way and the first person to greet us was a man holding a giant container of hand sanitizer (speaking of hand sanitizer, it was located EVERYWHERE which we were very thankful for)…he loaded us up and we walked on the ship where we were greeted with champagne. We found our cabin, dropped our things and headed to lunch…let the vacation begin!

Room: Always clean. Never saw the cabin attendant. Never met the cabin attendant. Butler service was ok. Had a butler during a previous X cruise that was so on top of his job I experienced withdrawals when we left the ship. This time our butler did the bare minimum..nothing more, nothing less. We only saw him twice a day..once when he delivered tea and once to deliver appetizers. Had to ask every evening for ice. Be careful where you pick your suite. We were in 1203…small balcony and people walking on deck above us had clear view on to balcony.

Food: LOVED the sushi bar. Not to be missed. Enjoyed the specialty restaurant. The food in Murano’s was very good, but the food in the MDR was just as good. LOVED select dining. Really enjoyed all of the people we were able to meet by having different table mates for each dinner. Very disappointed dining room NOT open for lunch except on the first sea day. Wonderful brunch served on the last sea day. Buffet area enjoyable. Full breakfast served in dining room on the last morning, contrary to what some have posted on this site.

Entertainment: Very good. Love the backstage tour given to Captain’s Club members. Noelle did a great job showing us around!

Ports: We took a trip to Sandal’s in Jamaica. Had a wonderful time, but were very glad we were just visiting(food was horrible, facilities a bit worn down). It was a great way to spend the day. We were the only ship in port that day, so we heard from several other people that the falls were not at all crowded and it was easy to get around. In Grand Cayman we did the Kayaking and power snorkel excursion. We had a great time, but would not do this excursion again. We had the only working power “snorkel” out of the group and had to dodge some pretty big boats that did not want to share space with us.

We had a wonderful vacation and will probably sail X again. It just seemed to us that things were a bit off. Not ONCE were we approached at the pool by a bar waiter. I am perfectly capable of getting my own drinks, but it just seemed so strange that there were so few bar waiters around. During past cruises whenever we encountered a staff member, whomever it was always went out of their way to say hello. That was the exception to the rule this time around. Even though there is a dress code as far as beachwear in any of the restaurants, it was not enforced. Again, we had a GREAT time, it’s just the little details that X is usually so good about, were lacking.

I asked in the other review about the airconditioning and you stated that it wasn't that great.

Did you call to get it colder? Any other areas around the ship that you noticed the air wasn't working properly?

I am a little paranoid about airconditioning. Living in Florida, we like it cold during the day and very cold at night for sleeping. It seems the last few cruises we've been on, the air just isn't cold enough for us. Especially at night. I wonder if this is a way to save $$$$$.

Thanks for a thorough review.

Never complained about it...it was warm until you hit about deck 8 as you walked down the stairs..then you could feel the temp get much cooler. The last day of our trip was dramatically cooler (outside temp) than the rest, and you could really feel the difference in our room.

Archived