Northeast Snowstorm this weekend?

RKardos1

Eeekkkk... I'm starting to freak out. We are scheduled to fly out on Sunday morning to FLL from PHL for a Monday cruise. My DH is flipping out and wants to leave Friday or Saturday instead. Latest weather looks like its gonna start sometime Saturday. Anybody else in this situation?

Not this year, but we were in that situation two years ago. I wanted to fly out right away and hubby wanted to wait it out. Well, hubby won and we flew out on our original flight and left about an hour before the storm hit the Philadelphia area.

After that nerve wracking day, I decided we would never do that again, and always fly down a day early and thereby have more flexibility if flights get canceled.

Whatever you decide, good luck. You could always just start driving down on Friday after work and that would get you at least out of the "snow" zone by early Saturday morning.

I'm not in that situation, but I am in Boston and the storm looks to hit Sat into Sunday. They are saying 6-12 " right now but they don't seem to sure of details yet. It looks like it clears up Sunday night so if you have a Monday cruise you may still be able to get out before the cruise. But if you can leave earlier they go for it. Why stress out. It will cost more but will be worth it for the piece of mind. If you are staying over on Sunday night I assume you already have a hotel room, so just see if you can add a day. Then you can go to Disney or something for a day. Good luck.

I would reserve a rental car...plan ahead...if it looks like flying from Philly wont happen, call the airlines...find out, if you drive South, where you may be able to get a flight...say DC, or Norfolk, etc. It might turn out you have to drive the whole east coast ...at least you wont miss the ship.

People don't understand that you don't have to have bad weather in your departing city to be delayed or cancelled.

Last winter we flew from Boston to Fort Luderdale with a change of planes in Tampa. We landed to find sunny 80 degree weather. Our flight was delayed 6 hours because of a snow storm in Detroit. We rented a car and drove the 4 hours...turned out to be a great ride. If the airline can't get the equipment to you, you won't fly !!!!

Have a back up plan, and a back up plan to that plan.

Ever consider flying stand-by the night before?

We WOULD be in the same situation but are flying to FLL Saturday Morning for our Sunday cruise. I've spent too many hours in the Philly airport due to wether delays to expect to fly on the day of a cruise departure during the winter and KNOW I'll make the ship.

I think it must be my fault because EVERY TIME I plan a vacation trip during the winter there is a snow storm!

I hope for everyone's sake this isn't one of those "Nightmare" weekends. Perhaps the weather folks are wrong again and the storm will blow over.

For peace of mind ALWAYS fly in to the port city the day before. Not only will you have more time to get through weather delays, you will have an extra day for the airline to find the bags they lose so you're not without your clothes for half the cruise.

I would cll you airline RIGHT NOW ask to speak to a supervisor and let them know that you need to be done to Florida sunday and with the approaching snowstorm you are worried that you will miss your ship. Ssk them for a deviation that you are willing to fly Friday night....early early Sat morning anything to get you down to Flordia. Two years ago Delta called us at 12:30am on a Sat morning....they could change our flight from Sunday to Sat. at 6 am( at no charge)....but it was out of Philly instead of Newark, the dogs had not been brought to the boarding kennels, packing was not finished........called by sons and told them to take the dogs the next morning......we threw are clothes into the luggage (packed way too much) we got into the car and drove and left the car in one of the park and rides. We made our flight and our cruise The next day the Blizzard hit.....we were down in sunny San Juan with over 90 degree temp while over 500 passangers missed the ship because the whole NOrtheast was snowed in

We are flying out Feb. vacation. I am so afraid it might snow, that I have us flying out Friday for our Sunday cruise. I hope you do ok. I would fly out as soon as you can. You never know where the plane might be delayed!!!

Hope all works out!!!

Macwoman

I think we're getting the brunt of it today (I'm in Syracuse...central NY). We got quite a bit of snow and had poor conditions all day long but it's easing up now & they aren't predicting anything enormous for the weekend (at least thus far).

Try looking up your flight locations on weather.com. They give a 10 day extended forecast for all cities.

Good luck, hope the snow doesn't interfere!

I just listened to the weather for Philly, My husband is leaving Saturday am, the snow is supposed to start Saturday afternoon and snow into Sunday. They "Say" could be up to 6 in.depending on which way the storm turns. I would leave Saturday AM if possible. Philly airport always runs late even without snow!!

Thanks for all the great replies. I booked my flight a day early in case this happend on cruise day. Didn't plan on the snow messing with my back up plan. As of now, the weather channels are saying snow Saturday early afternoon into Sunday, ending late Sunday and clearing out on Monday. SOOOO... if thats the case, we could get out Sunday night or early Monday morning. But what about all the folks that will miss flights on Saturday? Won't they get pushed into Sunday, and Sunday into Monday?? Any flight attendants or pilots out there with some clarification of how the airlines handle this?

Leaving one day ahead doesn't always cut it. For my Christmas cruise which left Christmas day I had booked a ticket leaving from Ohio on the 23rd. Wanted to see my Dad in Florida before the cruise. After hearing about the storm due I tried to leave on the 22nd. " Sure" Delta said, for an extra $450! Didn't do it and the storm hit. Made it to Florida Christmas morning- but made the cruise! Upsetting part was when I got home there was a message on my answering machine from Delta telling me they had decided not to charge me to fly in early. But then received a very apologetic letter from them and they gave me enough skymiles for a free ticket. Moral of the story- in winter one day may not be enough!

Becky

I'm flying out Saturday morning (5:30am) for my sailing on the Navigator that same day. I heard the snow is going to start sometime during the day. Hopefully after we take off. It snowed pretty bad this morning and our flight, which is a daily flight to Miami on Airtran, took off 20 minutes late, made the connection in Atlanta and got into Miami about 20 minutes late. Not too bad. Plenty of time to get to the ship.

i went out on weather.com looking for our forcast in michigan hoping for some warmer temps. It shows we are looking at a big storm on saturday and weather.com says check flights for delays. Our cruise isn't til the end of Feb cruise leaves on sunday and we fly friday. Just in case of delay 24 hours to drive straight through to Miami. I refuse to miss our cruise. lol

I think it's safe to say everyone agrees that getting in early is the best idea. The weather forecasters really don't have a clue sometimes. Our forecast in Boston calls for snow Sat afternoon until Sunday morning and from looking at all 3 main tv stations we are going to get 1-24". Tonight we were forecast (and still are forecast) for 1" of snow in our area (worcester). Well, I have at least 3" on the ground now and it is expected to continue snowing for 5 more hours. Good luck to you. I have cruised during hurricane season a lot, but never even thought of snow issues. I guess the safest time to cruise is in the early summer, but then I don't need the warm weather in the Caribbean. I'm really glad RCI added a few cruises out of Boston this year. We don't need to worry about getting to the port this time around.

Our forecast in Boston calls for snow Sat afternoon until Sunday morning and from looking at all 3 main tv stations we are going to get 1-24".

1-24"? Boy, they're really covering all the bases with that prediction!

Rich

Archived