what to do in Orlando for 10 hours waiting for flight

Jeanne55555

I would appreciate it very much if someone can give me advice. My family and I returning from a cruise on 5/9/10 at Port Canaveral. Our original return flight to Newark was for 2:45 p.m. Our airline changed our flight time. We are now departing at 5:15 p.m. We already booked a transfer back to Orlando International Airport through Royal Caribbean when we depart the ship at 7:00 a.m. Now, I am wondering what we are going to do for 10 hours. I was thinking of possibly paying for a room at a local hotel, however, when I went to many, many Orlando area hotels websites, I realized that check in times are usually for 3:00 p.m.- which does not help us. Now what! Again, if anyone experienced travelers have any advice, I would really appreciate it! Thank you

I would appreciate it very much if someone can give me advice. My family and I returning from a cruise on 5/9/10 at Port Canaveral. Our original return flight to Newark was for 2:45 p.m. Our airline changed our flight time. We are now departing at 5:15 p.m. We already booked a transfer back to Orlando International Airport through Royal Caribbean when we depart the ship at 7:00 a.m. Now, I am wondering what we are going to do for 10 hours. I was thinking of possibly paying for a room at a local hotel, however, when I went to many, many Orlando area hotels websites, I realized that check in times are usually for 3:00 p.m.- which does not help us. Now what! Again, if anyone experienced travelers have any advice, I would really appreciate it! Thank you

Call some of the hotels directly; we have negotiated a day rate (not in Orlando) at a few hotels over the years. We needed to use a hotel at the Frankfurt Airport in August (I suffered a vertigo/panic attack coming off our flight) and my DH was able to get a day rate at the Sheraton (staff were awesome). We used the room for 5 hours then flew on to Barcelcona.

Kathy:)

The HYATT in Orlando International Airport does day rates for a room, and its a nice view watching the planes come and go.

Another option if your Intrested would be head over to Disney and enjoy the "free" area's, like the downtown disney area, or event check out some of the resorts. Its proably not enough time to go to the parks though, but it might be enough time to go to DisneyQuest if your traveling with kids.

Any serious large hotel will offer day rooms. You do have to be specific about it though what time you will come and go, calling or emailing them direct. You say you're with a family. There are enough parks in Orlando to keep you busy!

Does your airline have some earlier flights to your destination?

We have been successful one two occasions after our cruise (TPA and MIA) to go directly to the airport and stand by for an earlier flight. There was no additional cost to do this. We flew on AA and UAL. Got on earlier flights each time.

Rich

I vote with the folks who suggested renting a car. There are a couple of car rental places (we did Hertz) in Port Canaveral-if you like "Disney" type of things (without paying any admissions as you don't have time for the parks), you can drive to the Lake Buena Vista exit off I-4 and spend some time strolling around and having lunch in the Disney Marketplace or Boardwalk areas. They also have movie theaters there. There is also an outlet shopping mall not far from Lake Buena Vista.

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will start contacting hotels directly (I need to find out what time check in is-because if I can't find one with an early check in time-it wouldn't work out). Thanks again!

Thank you everyone for your suggestions. I will start contacting hotels directly (I need to find out what time check in is-because if I can't find one with an early check in time-it wouldn't work out). Thanks again!

I agree with the airport Hyatt. Even though it may be a little more expensive, it has a cool rooftop pool and you can watch the planes take off and land, rent a movie in your room and order room service and just relax.

It is a nice hotel.

Archived