Sydney, Cape Breton Island

sofiegsd

We will be in Sydney on Sept. 29 so the fort should still be operating. Both excursions sound worthwhile. We have been to reconstructed forts on the West Coast and enjoy them but we weren't sure Louisburg would be much different. I haven't read many reviews of the Highland Village. Can anyone advise us?

We will be in Sydney on Sept. 29 so the fort should still be operating. Both excursions sound worthwhile. We have been to reconstructed forts on the West Coast and enjoy them but we weren't sure Louisburg would be much different. I haven't read many reviews of the Highland Village. Can anyone advise us?

I did both a few summers ago while on a driving tour. They are both really great.

Both have knowledgeable staff dressed in period costumes that reenact life and provide a lot of information (in character of course) about the times they depict which is really fun. The Highland Village gives you a much larger overview of life on the cape through many time periods starting with what life was like in Scotland for the people that first came to Canada.

On the other hand Louisburg is definitely the best fort tour I've been on complete with a whole military drill. It's larger than the Highlands Village. You could spend a whole day there, whereas the Highlands Village you probably would want just a few hours.

I think Louisburg is more impressive overall, but Highlands Village gives you more of a feel for Cape Breton.

When I was in Sydney on about Sept 16 a couple of years ago a lot of the fortress was closed down already.. new DH and I are going on Sept 21 cruise and friend in Sydney told me same thing = a lot of it won't be open.. Be sure and check w/ them directly if you want to be sure.. very disappointed it was partially closed last time as it looks fascinating.

If it is fully open, Louisbourg is a world class attraction and a must see. The Highland Village is interesting and it is a beautiful drive to there from Sydney.

I live in Nova Scotia and have been to Louisbourg about ten times and the Highland Village once.

• 3 weeks later...

We've been to Sydney twice on cruises.

1st time we rented a car and went to Louisburg (Late Aug) and it was a good tour.

2nd time it was hard to rent a car as the rental agency we used (near the cruise terminal)the first time was no longer open. A co-worker of mine grew up in Sydney and arranged for a relative to pick us up and take us to the Miner's Museum. It's a good tour with an option for a guided historical tour of the coal mine. We had a ball.

We've been to Sydney twice on cruises.

1st time we rented a car and went to Louisburg (Late Aug) and it was a good tour.

2nd time it was hard to rent a car as the rental agency we used (near the cruise terminal)the first time was no longer open. A co-worker of mine grew up in Sydney and arranged for a relative to pick us up and take us to the Miner's Museum. It's a good tour with an option for a guided historical tour of the coal mine. We had a ball.

Of all the ports (with the exception of Halifax), there seems to be a lot great options in Sydney.

Archived