Taxi disaster in Cozumel

MiniMom57

Last week we were on Liberty -- the same day we were in port, there were several other ships. We docked at the middle pier of the three (I don't recall the name). My husband and I planned to go to Chankanaab on our own for a relaxing day and some snorkeling. We were among the first off the ship and could NOT get a taxi to take us to the park!! We tried for well over an hour, after standing in the poorly-controlled line of passengers waiting for a cab for close to a half hour. Each time we asked a driver for a ride to Chankanaab, we were refused a ride because there were only 2 of us (minimum for a cab/van was 5 people; the very few car/taxis they had that would take smaller groups were always snatched up by rude and aggressive people who had not been in line as long as we were).

The people who were supposed to be coordinating the rides were useless! One would tell us to "go over there"....then we would get there, and the worker there would say "go over there"....and so it went for an hour!!

We finally found a group of 4 people who were not able to get a ride to the place they wanted to go, so we gave in and went where they were headed (a place called Uva's or something like that)....it was horrible and a waste of our time and money.

Had I known that getting a taxi would be such a nightmare, I would have booked an excursion! We've done plenty of ports on our own, but this was the worst experience we've had in 6 cruises.

The trick to getting a Taxi in Cozumel is bypassing all the cab lines and walk directly out into the street and walk down the block.

There are cabs galore exiting or approaching the docks.

Walk a block from the dock to the El Sid timeshare resort and there are a ton of them just sitting there.

Standing in the que at the pier is for rookies! :-)

By the way, we usually charter a cab for 5 hours @$20 an hour for a total of $100.

He takes us all over and stays with us.

Well worth the fee because you can get over to the other side of the island on the Ocean away from the intense tourist traps in San Miguel.

Well, daflabear, I coulda used that info a week ago!! ;) the day were were in Cozumel, there were at least 6 other ships in port and it was a zoo everywhere!

As for Uvas, I believe there is more than one place with that name...I think we were taken to a "beach club" and not the resort. It was small, the "beach" was sand that appeared to have been brought in and deposited behind the very rocky shore line. Getting in and out of the water was treacherous because there was no way in except over the rocks and coral that was being pounded by waves and were covered by slippery algae.

The snorkel equipment was "free" as part of the entrance fee of $7 each - and it's a good thing, because we only saw a couple of little fish and dead coral!

The trick to getting a Taxi in Cozumel is bypassing all the cab lines and walk directly out into the street and walk down the block.

This is the same in every port of call...On our cruises we saw it everywhere. People who were willing to walk a few yards paid half and did not have to wait in line.

Last week we were on Liberty -- the same day we were in port, there were several other ships. We docked at the middle pier of the three (I don't recall the name). My husband and I planned to go to Chankanaab on our own for a relaxing day and some snorkeling. We were among the first off the ship and could NOT get a taxi to take us to the park!! We tried for well over an hour, after standing in the poorly-controlled line of passengers waiting for a cab for close to a half hour. Each time we asked a driver for a ride to Chankanaab, we were refused a ride because there were only 2 of us (minimum for a cab/van was 5 people; the very few car/taxis they had that would take smaller groups were always snatched up by rude and aggressive people who had not been in line as long as we were).

The people who were supposed to be coordinating the rides were useless! One would tell us to "go over there"....then we would get there, and the worker there would say "go over there"....and so it went for an hour!!

We finally found a group of 4 people who were not able to get a ride to the place they wanted to go, so we gave in and went where they were headed (a place called Uva's or something like that)....it was horrible and a waste of our time and money.

Had I known that getting a taxi would be such a nightmare, I would have booked an excursion! We've done plenty of ports on our own, but this was the worst experience we've had in 6 cruises.

Thank God that's "the disaster"! ;) When I saw this thread I initially thought the worst! How those taxi drivers don't crash into something is truly a miracle! :p

Trudy

Hi you all;

We will be in Cozumel on March 5th and I saw there will be also a few ships (4 or 5)in port that day.

We need to go to Playa Mia Beach fo an excursion that we have booked independently.

We are only 3 .

Will it be difficult to get a cab like MiniMom?

Any suggestion how to make this process easier ?

Thanks

Duh! Stef,

Didn't you read the previous comments as to how to get er done?

ROFL :D

...replies don't get any better than that!!!

Of course, if she is anything like me, I start reading from the last post and go backwards :p

There are cabs galore exiting or approaching the docks.

Walk a block from the dock to the El Sid timeshare resort and there are a ton of them just sitting there.

Standing in the que at the pier is for rookies! :-)

By the way, we usually charter a cab for 5 hours @$20 an hour for a total of $100.

He takes us all over and stays with us.

Well worth the fee because you can get over to the other side of the island on the Ocean away from the intense tourist traps in San Miguel.

That's exactly what I did. Caught a taxi (by myself) just off the pier to Paradise Beach for a flat $20. The taxi driver also met me at Paradise Beach that afternoon as we had scheduled, and it was another flat $20 - for just me. Well worth it (although no seat belts in front or back seat). He dropped me off directly at the pier, too. Would do it this way again.

That's exactly what I did. Caught a taxi (by myself) just off the pier to Paradise Beach for a flat $20. The taxi driver also met me at Paradise Beach that afternoon as we had scheduled, and it was another flat $20 - for just me. Well worth it (although no seat belts in front or back seat). He dropped me off directly at the pier, too. Would do it this way again.

It was the same for me on my last visit to Cozumel. I headed to Paradise for the day and took a taxi alone. Yes I paid $20 for going alone and the driver did ask me if I wanted to share. I told him no. The driver asked me what time when I wanted for him to return for a ride back. He was there four hours later waiting for me. The ride was cheaper going back because four people from the same ship left when I did and we split the cost.

But there are some who want a full van prior to leaving. I know this happens in quite a few of the island. In Tortola, I was in a van that waited over 20 minutes before the driver left. He was about to lose half of us because we were tired of waiting for him to gain other people.

In nine trips to Cozumel we have never had much trouble getting a cab. Getting out of the port compound can be a mommy dog though.;)

This is one port that I would reccommend trip insurance. The taxi drivers think that they are NASCAR drivers. You need burial insurance if you want to rent a scooter. I'm not afraid of many things, but you don't have enough money to get me to ride a scooter in downtown San Miguel.

This is really good information to know. I have been reading way too much in planning for our cruise and this is the first time I have seen anything about walking to the street in Cozumel to get a taxi if there are lines at port.

We are scheduled to dock at Puerta Maya and I thought it was in a kind of isolated, or at least removed from town area and I would never have thought about walking to the street for a taxi.

I have tried to get more guidance for our port stop in Grand Cayman too. I remember chaos at the tender drop off point the only time I have been on Grand Cayman. All they have in Grand Cayman at the dock is vans that they call taxis and wait to fill up before taking off.

I am still somewhat confused even though I posted this question on the Cayman Islands forum. I think if we walk away from the dock on Cayman we will be able to find a private taxi car as opposed to a van.

The other thing I have learned is I would not pay the driver again until he is ready to go. Once you pay they can let you sit while they fill up other vans and you never know when they will decide to let you go.

The walking in the street trick won't work in Grand Cayman as it's vans or the local "bus".

Getting a cab for two is near to impossible.

Frankly, I hate the place.

They have ruined my two favorite places there.

The 'Grape Vine" on the second floor of the Harbor Place (blue building on ther waterfront just past the Hard Rock) had the BEST pizza in the Caribbean. But the new owners have made the manger (Max from Italy) dumb down the recipe so it is just ordinary.

But it IS a nice place to stop for a glass or bottle of wine at a VERY fair price and look out at the cruise ships in a quiet setting.

And the Government ruined the Turtle Farm because they raised the price so high it is not worth the time, effort, or cost of going there.

Grand Cayman is at the bottom of my list. High end Tourist Trap.

You can go to Naples, Florida and see the same things and pay thru the nose as well!

I have tried to get more guidance for our port stop in Grand Cayman too. I remember chaos at the tender drop off point the only time I have been on Grand Cayman. All they have in Grand Cayman at the dock is vans that they call taxis and wait to fill up before taking off.

I am still somewhat confused even though I posted this question on the Cayman Islands forum. I think if we walk away from the dock on Cayman we will be able to find a private taxi car as opposed to a van.

We ran into the waiting aspect in Cayman and found an easy way out. After waiting for 5 or 10 minutes we started walking. About 2 blocks down the street is the bus/van depot. We grabbed a van for a couple of bucks@ and went to Cemetary Beach. When we were ready to go back to the ship we started walking down the road. When a van comes by they will honk. If you want to ride, just wave. They'll stop and pick you up. This is one of the easiest places (along with Playa Del Carmen) to grab public transportation.

When you leave the tender area, turn left and walk down the main street. The depot is on the right 2 or 3 blocks down.

I know we got a little off topic here, but thanks for the info on Grand Cayman.

It was not one of my favorite stops either. We have a reservation at the Dolphin Discovery, near the Turtle Farm. We have two young ladies who want to swim with the dolphins and Mom and I will just watch.

That's why I was looking for a private taxi. I figured we might end up riding in a van and stopping to drop people off at the beaches along the way.

From another forum I read that you can find private taxis in town. I guess we shall see.

Archived