Which side of the ship in Alaska?

utseabee

We are geeting ready to book our first cruise. All that is left is selecting a cabin! We are going on Celebrity Millinium, southbound from Seward to Vancouver.

It would make sense to book a room on the port side, which will be facing land while we are cruising. However, I also read that when are cruising the inside passage and hubbard glacier, there will be land on both sides of the ship. Also, if we want to see whales and such from the ship, would they be more likely to be out to sea than between the ship and shore?

Ahhh, decisions, decisions!

We have sailed the route you have wisely chosen. The ship ain't half bad either!!!

You have a win win.

The best cabin for Alaska is an aft but on the Millie there are only 12 CC cabins, 12 FV's and two suites. Without checking fares I am sure they are costly and hard to get.

While you sail in Hubbard Glacier the ship will slowly turn and you will have views from every angle.

I have not checked your itinerary either but if you are stopping at Hoonah (Icy Straits) you will want to be aft when you leave. The straits are very narrow and we saw more wildlife from our aft balcony than anywhere else in Alaska. A pod of whales also followed the ship. A nice spot to catch this remarkable sight is from the outdoor bar (aft) on deck 10.

A portside cabin is only marginally better for the remainder of the cruise. It totally depends on your docking facility. There are two areas in Skagway bay. We have also docked at different spots in Ketchikan and Juneau although they are in the same area. It's been a while since we have stopped in Sitka but I think it was a tender port.

If you do not have a balcony cabin you will enjoy the Glacier from decks 10-12. It can be very windy and cold up there. You may try the fitness center. It's one of those areas that most totally ignore but I did get my treadmill workout on one cruise gazing at the glacier. The room was almost deserted. The nightclub and Oasis room on deck 11 will probably be packed. There are protective walls around the pool (deck 10) and you might be able to grab a window table in the Lido or the Solarium.

Enjoy your first cruise to Alaska!

It's Alaska inside passage..you will be happy with either side..We were in a portside on the Northbound Vancouver - Seward...Never felt we missed anything..Actually we ended up having the better views...;)..So you can never tell...Enjoy your cruise !!!:)

Archived