Megans Bay

BcIcemen

Megan's also has a bar and lunch available. Check on the number of ships in port on your day of arrival. If there are 3 or more ships, it gets very crowded. Also, the Oasis is in St Thomas every Tuesday and it gets too crowded in my opinion. It is a great beach, smooth sandy bottom, but not a place to snorkel if you're interested in that.

Enjoy

Megan's also has a bar and lunch available. Check on the number of ships in port on your day of arrival. If there are 3 or more ships, it gets very crowded. Also, the Oasis is in St Thomas every Tuesday and it gets too crowded in my opinion. It is a great beach, smooth sandy bottom, but not a place to snorkel if you're interested in that.

Enjoy

Is the bar terribly expensive? We'll have a soft-sided cooler with us and I'm wondering if we should ask our taxi driver to stop at a store so we can buy drinks/beers and snacks.

Also, are there umbrellas for rent?

Is the bar terribly expensive? We'll have a soft-sided cooler with us and I'm wondering if we should ask our taxi driver to stop at a store so we can buy drinks/beers and snacks.

Also, are there umbrellas for rent?

There were no umbrellas for rent. But there were many shady areas along the beach.

The prices for drinks was a little high. The way their taxi system is set up though you may have a problem asking them to stop somewhere along the way. They have a shared taxi system. They are really more of an open air bus. You go with a group of others that are going to your same destination. If I remember correctly though the shopping area you go through to get to the taxi stand does sell soda.

We arrived at the beach at about 9AM and there was hardly anyone there but by noon it was very crowded. Especially near the area where the taxis make their drop offs.

view.sfly?fid=4b70fdba201478ed6cdd16a80fdf8c46

There were no umbrellas for rent. But there were many shady areas along the beach.

The prices for drinks was a little high. The way their taxi system is set up though you may have a problem asking them to stop somewhere along the way. They have a shared taxi system. They are really more of an open air bus. You go with a group of others that are going to your same destination. If I remember correctly though the shopping area you go through to get to the taxi stand does sell soda.

We arrived at the beach at about 9AM and there was hardly anyone there but by noon it was very crowded. Especially near the area where the taxis make their drop offs.

view.sfly?fid=4b70fdba201478ed6cdd16a80fdf8c46

Thanks for the reply! I just need to make sure I have shade because I get terrible sun poisoning and this will be our first stop (my winter skin won't be use to so much sun). We're the only ship in port that day, so hopefully it won't be too busy and we can find shade for our rented chairs.

So there's no way to get around the island in a private cab? Because someone else told me to stop by Udder Delight (I think that's it) on the way back to the ship. If I'm on a "bus" they wouldn't stop.

Anyone know if they sell cold beverages (water, soda, beers) by the port?

Thanks for the reply! I just need to make sure I have shade because I get terrible sun poisoning and this will be our first stop (my winter skin won't be use to so much sun). We're the only ship in port that day, so hopefully it won't be too busy and we can find shade for our rented chairs.

So there's no way to get around the island in a private cab? Because someone else told me to stop by Udder Delight (I think that's it) on the way back to the ship. If I'm on a "bus" they wouldn't stop.

Anyone know if they sell cold beverages (water, soda, beers) by the port?

I didn't see any private taxis by the stand at the pier but did see them in the downtown area.

This was our first stop, too, so I know what you mean! That's one of the reasons we went as early in the day as we could, sun is less intense and there was shady places available. I also noticed that all of the organized tours, ships and privates, made stops before getting to the beach so we were ahead of the crowds!

No, it's a shared taxi and goes straight to Magens and drops you off. He may drop people in town first and then continue on to MB. Since it's a shared ride, he cannot and will not stop; it's just not in his interest to do so because it's a flat rate fare. Gotta say, it's also not fair to those who are riding with you who paid to go straight to MB. Sorry.

You'll have to get your drinks before leaving for MB. There are stores around the pier area, or you can walk to the KMart if you dock at Havensite.

No, it's a shared taxi and goes straight to Magens and drops you off. He may drop people in town first and then continue on to MB. Since it's a shared ride, he cannot and will not stop; it's just not in his interest to do so because it's a flat rate fare. Gotta say, it's also not fair to those who are riding with you who paid to go straight to MB. Sorry.

You'll have to get your drinks before leaving for MB. There are stores around the pier area, or you can walk to the KMart if you dock at Havensite.

Obviously, if I were with a group of people I would NOT ask for a special stop for myself. But I do find it hard to believe that the only taxis in all of St. Thomas will only go to designated areas with groups of people. Don't locals use them as transportation? I think that's incorrect information.

It's not incorrect information; what I said is correct. But yes of course you can get a private taxi. Two different scenarios. Sorry we misunderstood each other.

I think I found my answer - the St. Thomas cruise port page says that at the dock there is a Gourmet Gallery store which sells wine and beer, and a pharmacy which I would imagine (if it's like a typical US pharmacy) will also sell drinks and snacks. We can just stop there before heading to the beach. But I'd still like to stop at Udder Delight on the way back ;)

Archived