Timing opinions please

jimjoe

Hi everyone. I am booking a June 19th cruise to Alaska from Seattle for my family (6 adults). My first question would be: If we arrive at the Seattle airport at 11:11AM, will this be early enough for a 4PM cruise?

Secondly, the flight out of Seattle leaves at 12:30pm. Is this enough time if the ship docks at 7AM? I don't know Seattle at all. Lastly, what is the best way to transport 6 people with luggage to and from the airport to Pier 91?

Thanks so much,

Bob

Hi everyone. I am booking a June 19th cruise to Alaska from Seattle for my family (6 adults). My first question would be: If we arrive at the Seattle airport at 11:11AM, will this be early enough for a 4PM cruise?

Secondly, the flight out of Seattle leaves at 12:30pm. Is this enough time if the ship docks at 7AM? I don't know Seattle at all. Lastly, what is the best way to transport 6 people with luggage to and from the airport to Pier 91?

Thanks so much,

Bob

You really should plan to get to Seattle the day before. Airline flights are very "chancy" these days, even in the middle of June. Why risk missing the ship and delaying your vacation..not to mention the added stress...by not coming in a day early??

If your cruise is leaving at 4 p.m., the LATEST you need to be checking in is about 90 minutes before the cruise leaves port. If you come in a day early, you can be on the ship by noon or so, enjoying your vacation.

So if your flight is on time..you arrive at 11 a.m.....about 45 minutes to get your luggage (I don't find the Seattle airport to be very "user friendly"), then a couple of cabs to get everyone to the pier (maybe someone will come along and talk about van service, or shuttle service..but those usually run expensive and slow), so you'd JUST be arriving on time to board.

As for leaving, if indeed the ship docks at 7 a.m., the earliest you'll be getting off is 8 a.m. You have to be checking in at least 2 hours before the flight leaves, so if you're among the first off, you'll make it.

Seems to me to be a lot of stress in the coming and going. I'd be coming in a day early, and leaving on a later flight.

I would definitely fly in the day before.

However, we have made 12:30PM flights after a cruise out of Seattle. Pier 91 is further from the airpot than the old pier used by Princess.

I would post over on the West Coast Departures board for your question on the best way to transport six passengers and luggage. You would need a large van in my opinion.

I used to live in Seattle and you need to leave yourself no less than an hour to get to the pier after you've gotten your luggage. Traffic is a mess! If the plane is late at all, you are really going to be cutting it close. When we fly into SeaTac, it takes us at least 45 minutes to get luggage. Fly in a day early if at all possible.

If you look at a map of Washington State, you'll see that SeaTac is south of Seattle. If the highway that takes you up north to Seattle is congested, you'll be regretting not coming in the day before. Why get stressed out.

For our Alaskan cruise, we were taking the train up the west coast and we padded in an extra day, just in case.

We just cruised from Seattle last summer. There were 5 of us. We chose to come in a day early and it was great. Seattle is a very nice city to visit as there is plenty to do and see. We took the Super Shuttle and if you have pre-reservations, you can get your own van for much less than two cab fares. Our flight left Sea-Tac after the cruise at 12:30 so we chose to use Princess for the transfer. Our bus driver went to the wrong terminal at the airport and it took about ½ an hour to reload luggage and move to the proper terminal and we still had 1-1/2 hours to wait in the terminal for our flight. To summarize, my opinion: Come in a day early and take the Super Shuttle to your hotel, enjoy Seattle a little. Take the Princess transfer bus back to Sea-Tac for your 12:30 flight home. Worked well for us.

If you look at a map of Washington State' date=' you'll see that SeaTac is south of Seattle. If the highway that takes you up north to Seattle is congested, you'll be regretting not coming in the day before. Why get stressed out.

For our Alaskan cruise, we were taking the train up the west coast and we padded in an extra day, just in case.[/quote']

TRUE TRUE TRUE!!!

I-5 up to Seattle from SEA (Sea Tac) can be a total pain even on a good day.

Arriving the previous day and booking a hotel allows you the opportunity:

a. to take your time;

b. not to worry;

c. to see a bit of Seattle (Space Needle, Fish Market etc etc);

d. to sleep in and have a relaxing morning before transferring to the ship.

On departure, Princess recommends no flts prior to 1300hrs (1pm). Even if you don't book Princess Air but do book a Princess transfer to SEA, ensure that you add your independently booked flights to your Cruise Personalizer. That way, Princess can OK your flights, meaning...yes they can get you to the airport for an ontime checkin and security check.

Ciao for now!!!

Archived