The Big Red Boat

It was my first cruise as well! We loved it! In comparison to other ships, it was so small, but I didn't know it then. Ok, (I was single) and I made out with the Elvis impersonator! LOL My GF and I hosted a party on the last night, and couldn't believe how many staff and guest's showed up in the aft lounge. I gotta go find those pics! We had a Maddona impersonator, Elvis, and I can't remember other's but it was awesome. Even the waiter's and crew showed up.

My GF and I were laughing at ourselves, thinking, "Who are we to host a party and invite the staff?" LOL But we did and it was a blast!

This should explain some!http://www.simplonpc.co.uk/PremierPCs.html

Wow, thanks for that link. Very cool to see the ships back then. The Big Red Boat was my third ever cruise when I was a teenager, not long after being on the Dolphin Seabreeze and the Regency line (of which I guess they went out of business too huh?) :D

Amazing to see the difference in how far the ships have come.

The BRB was my first cruise in1989 as well. Back then it was billed the official cruise line of walt disney world and had land/sea vacations packages. In jan1997 I took my Honeymoon on that cruise. Sad to say the marriage sunk like the cruise line. ;)

my family sailed on the big red boat way back when but we must have the been the only ones who went on the atlantic. i believe she was the smaller of the two. we had a great time and as many have said thats what got us hooked on cruising. we ended up doing 13 DCL cruises and have switched over to rccl for price and more to do.

I found some pics but I have a hard time posting them.

2636798140041122138S425x425Q85.jpg

Let's see if this works? Cool! This was my GF Joe, myself, the Captain, several guest's, and all the way around to Opal the CD. She was a sweetheart. I uploaded more pics for some reason didn't get them to come up. This was nov 16th 1999. the Captains name was, (If I can read his signature?) Antonios Psillakis. I'm not sure if the next word is Mustez, or Master. I even found my Elvis picture! LOL

It's interesting that this thread has a new life! The Oceanic was my first cruise as you can see in my signature. It didn't seem to have much for my then teen sons, but I became hooked on cruising. That cruise holds a special place in my heart, as it was the last trip that my youngest son took with us-he passed away just 6 months later.

When my older son and I were in the Med in 2003, we saw the stretched Oceanic anchored at Villefranche, France, and were able to identfy the cabin we had back in 1990. So unless somthing has happened to her since then, she is still sailing.

If Pullmantur bought her, and RCI bought Pulmantur, that makes her a part of RCI, if I have the info correct.

• 7 months later...
We did the Majestic/big red boat for our honeymoon 10-89.

The ship was bought from Princess (still had princess- stamped towels etc).

In '92 we were on the BRB; I think the Oceanic (that sounds so familiar). We were a family of five all in one room. I was 13, my older brother 15 and my younger brother 12. I remember that because I wanted so badly to be in the oldest youth group that was allowed free reign on the ship like my big brother, but instead I was stuck with my little brother with supervision and a curfew. This poster I quoted said that this ship was bought from Princess. Does anyone know if that is correct? We went on a cruise when I was 8 (that would make it '88 or so) and I semi-recall Disney characters on that cruise, but I was so sea-sick I don't remember much but being in bed a lot (I had a top bunk which I think made it worse). For years we had the drink glasses in the cupboard and I think they said Princess but there was no ship name on them. Were the ship names the same as when Premier bought out?

• 1 month later...
  • 3 months later...

We were on this ship when it was the Star/Ship Royale and Disney characters were on board. Our cruise was our first ever; it was only a 3-day out of Port Canaveral to the Bahamas and private island. But it sure gave us a huge hunger for wanting to cruise again.

And the coolest thing for DH and me was we didn't know about small, older ships being not like the newer bigger ships, we just loved being on it. We loved the decor, the nauticalness (is that a word?), the smell of the ocean breezes, the friendliness of the crew, we simply enjoyed our experience. We came aboard newbies, and left excited about the adventure we had experienced.

Our next cruise was on Carnival--but it wasn't like that first cruise. Yes, we have fond memories for that first criuse-- it was an awesome time for us.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

The Big Red Boat was my first cruise. It was somewhere around 1991 and I was about 9 or 10. It was the most magical trip any little girl could ask for. Now my fiance and I are going on a Princess cruise for our honeymoon and it seems times have changed a bit in the cruising industry. I think I'm in for a little shocker. Hahaha.

• 3 weeks later...

I think the Big Red Boat was the OLD Sun Princess. Sun Princess was my first cruise - my mother and I went to Alaska in 1983(?). So excited! 3 day cruise from Vancouver to Skagway AND we had a porthole!

Now a two week cruise is too short, and a balcony is required!:)

Premier's Atlantic was my first cruise. I took my two boys they were 5 and 7 at the time. We had an inside cabin and the air condition didn’t work the first two days and wouldn’t shut off the seconded two. Our waiter and our busboy got into a fistfight one night but that was forgotten when the children’s kitchen caught fire. Their advertised entertainment for each age group consisted of all age groups together. That left me entertaining my boys as well as about six other children the duration of the cruise. I didn’t cheer when they went bankrupt but I was not surprised in the least. I look back and wonder how I could enjoy such a terrible cruise but I did. The parts that make me smile were the times (yes there was more than one) we saw Otis and Milo in their movie theater and the day at “Gilligan’s Island” where my oldest cheated at limbo. I think my boys enjoyed the mustard drill as much as any activity the ship offered. The whistle was in my younger son’s mouth before I even knew the lifejackets had whistles. But…my favorite memory of the Atlantic was the night before we went to the private island where “Gilligan’s Island” was filmed and my younger son was in an upper berth and asked if they all got off the island. I responded yes. Then he asked if they were all still alive and my answer was that I thought one had passed on. He asked which one. I told him I wasn’t sure but I thought it was the Skipper. He asked what he died of. I told him I didn’t know. He said if I didn’t know what he died from how I knew he died. So I thought a minute and responded “I remember now, when they were being rescued he was asking his Mom too many questions while she was trying to go to sleep and she tossed him overboard.” He giggled and said you are talking about me aren’t you? He crawled down and gave me a hug and told me he loved me. On May 16, 2008 he graduated college and he still calls and wants to talk to me when I am trying to sleep.

Lori

• 3 weeks later...

Archived