We're are back!!

RayinIllinois

Last HAL cruise was March 2007. We are see sick! Booked the Oosterdam in March for the Mexican Riviera. Will stay the night before in San Diego. Looking for a reasonable place close to the port. How long is the cab ride? How far is the airport? If the ship returns at 7:00 can we pass customs, get to the airport, get through TRS and still make a 11:30 flight? Any highlights for shore trips? Thanks.

I can at least help you on the topic of overnight accommodations in SD. DW and I are taking the 03/20 cruise (there's a middling-sized roll call). We have booked a room at the Holiday Inn San Diego-On the Bay, address 1355 N. Harbor Drive. We got a significantly better rate by calling the front desk than was offered via the Holiday Inn website. The hotel is directly across the way from the pier. The clincher for us is that it offers complimentary shuttle service both between the airport and the hotel and between the hotel and the cruise pier. I wish you good luck!

Last HAL cruise was March 2007. We are see sick! Booked the Oosterdam in March for the Mexican Riviera. Will stay the night before in San Diego. Looking for a reasonable place close to the port. How long is the cab ride? How far is the airport? If the ship returns at 7:00 can we pass customs, get to the airport, get through TRS and still make a 11:30 flight? Any highlights for shore trips? Thanks.

Welcome to Cruise Critic. Lets see, you are 10 minutes from the Airport and that is only because you have to get from the parking lot to the street. In actuality you are 5 mins away and yes you should be able to make a 11:30 flight.

Petronillus suggestion for a hotel would be mine too! Perfect location and reasonable priced. Have a wonderful cruise.

In "normal circumstances", you should be fine for the 11:30 flight out of San Diego.

Cab is your best bet to airport which is so close by that the planes landing will probably wake you up as you arrive back to port...

Enjoy your cruise!!!!!!

:D:D:D

I will also recommend Holiday Inn on the Bay (not Bayside---that's a different property) as an excellent place to stay. There's a shuttle from the airport to the hotel, and then to the pier. If you have a tower room facing the harbor, you will think the ship is going to sail right in to your room before it stops. You will hear the "ding-dong" chimes and the announcements!

The hotel has a lounge and restaurant off the lobby (breakfast was very, very good), and a Ruth's Cris restaurant on the property. Yum!

• 3 weeks later...

I concur, staying at the Holiday Inn across the street is a fine idea. That's where I'll be the day before sailing in April. If for some reason that doesn't work, I can suggest the Hampton Inn. It's a hop, skip, and jump farther.

What to do? There's a little touristy thing called the Old Town Trolley. It'll give you a chance to see the highlights such as Seaport Village, Coronado, and Balboa Park. You can find a kiosk just down the way from the cruise terminal.

It's good to hear you'll soon be sailing again. Do have lots of fun:)

The pier is very close to the airport............think it's three miles.

When you disembark there will be vans all over the place with drivers standing there with signs saying, "$5.00 to the Airport" (at least they've always BEEN there and I'm hoping they still are)...........it was very easy and very inexpensive.;)

Ray:

What part of Illinois are you from? By the way, I hope you get the Holiday Inn right across from the pier. The airport is very, very close and you should make your return flight. Have a great stay in San Diego and have a great cruise. Welcome back to Holland America Line.

Archived