Consent Forms and going ashore?

kennpam

This is my first post, I can usually find all the info I need, but I haven't seen this issue, so forgive me if it has allready been addressed. I will be cruising with 4 children (with different last names) in March on Royal Caribbean with stops in Belize, Costa Maya and Cozumel. I have all consent forms, birth certificates ( no passports for the kids..... I know, I should get them, but thats a huge expense for the 4 of them) copy of ex's drivers license, my marriage certificate, my birth certificate(to link last names), my passport....and so on.... I know that I have all documentation in order, now for my question... Do I need to bring ALL documentation off the ship at every port? I know we need our set-sail passes for everyone and I need photo ID. I'm wondering if anyone has had experience with this, I don't want to carry all of these important documents around, the thought of them getting lost is scaring me. Any help is appreciated.

No, you won't need the documentation at every port. You will need photo ID for yourself (I use my passport, but a driver's license works too, unless you need to fly) and your SailPasses (or whatever they call them on your cruiseline) cards for everyone. The SailPasses are your documentation to get back on the ship. Sometimes immigration at a port wants to see your photo ID.

You might want to take copies of your documents ashore, and leave the real ones on board. You could place them in an envelope and put it in your beach bag. Also, you might want to leave a set of copies at home with family/friends. Just to be on the safe side! I'm sure you're aware that none of you will be able to fly back home without a Passport in case there's an emergency, though. It sounds like you're pretty well-prepared, and hope all of you enjoy your cruise!

You may leave the shief of papers on board (take copies if you wish), but be certain that you do pick up a copy of your ship's daily newletter thingy and bring that with you when you are in port. In that newsletter there will be the cruise line's port agent for that port. It is a local number of a company that will be able to contact the ship and arrange for you to get assistance if anything goes wrong on-shore.

If you have an emergency and need any of that paperwork, or lose any of your ID or whatever you can deal with the port agent -- he can make certain that the information gets to the right person on-board, if you are going to miss the ship, he can make certain that the line gets this paperwork for you from your cabin.

I also scan all my paperwork (ID, passport, etc.) and email an encrypted file of it to my email address and a trusted friend's email (friend who is staying at home). Recently I've taken to storing copies on my iPhone. That way the info is still available to me whereever I am no matter what happens.

If any of the kids travelling with you are not "yours", you may want to carry a copy of the Medical POA with you so that if the child requires medical attention on-shore, you have what you need to authorize that treatment.

Archived