Athens and Cape Sounion tour guide rec?

cruisecouple88

DH and I are going to be in Athens in May. We want to do 1/2 day Athens and 1/2 day Cape Sounion. I have heard good things about both Jordan Daioglou and also Paul from Athens by taxi. I have contacted both of them. Jordan is not avaibable that day for the tour but one of his associates would do the tour. Paul is available. Knowing this information, who would you recommend?

Thanks for any help!

We did a 5-day tour of Northern Greece with Paul's son Nick and could not have been happier! Check out our trip report and pictures at http://www.bully4.us/blacksea3.html

Note -- be sure you understand that most operators in Greece, including Paul and Nick of GreekTaxi, are NOT licensed guides and cannot actually visit the ancient sites with you. They will give you a thorough briefing before you go in. A good guide book will give you any other information you need.

Be sure to let them know exactly what YOU would like to see and they will plan the most efficient way to get you to the places YOU want. (We were constantly amazed to find Nick waiting for us right in front of the gate as we came out.)

Have a GREAT cruise!

For those of you who have used Paul/Nick for tours, what do you recommend in terms of tipping above the fixed price? Also, if the drivers take you somewhere for lunch do you offer to buy their meal?

Of course you tip what the service is worth. Tipping 10-20% for good service is pretty standard worldwide. I usually make up an envelope with 10% ready, and then a selection of smaller bills that I can add as much as the guide earns. Dollars or Euros are readily accepted.

Nick gave us such a great tour that we tipped lavishly at the end. When a guide enhances your experience so much that it becomes truly memorable he deserves to be well compensated.

We did offer to buy his lunch but he turned us down. Often the guide chooses to take that time for his personal business, or just to let down and relax a bit. I think maybe at the gyros place the last day he did let us buy him a gyro.

Have a GREAT cruise!

Thank you Stipmom. We have booked with Paul for a 1/2 day Athens and 1/2 day Cape Sounion. We have heard nothing but good things about his operation. We are so excited!

Hi, we are considering booking with Paul to do the 1/2 day Athens and the Cape Sounion tour on May 11th. We will be on the Equinox. What cruise are you on? Cape Sounion is a 3 hr. round trip ride; have you been told this is very worthwhile? What will you go to in Athens? thanks for any of your thoughts. Elaine (desertelaine1@aol.com).

We used Athens taxi for a full day Athens tour 3 years ago..we had Frank as our Driver. couldnt be any happier with our tour. We had several private tours on that cruise and he was our favorite. We booked them again for a 1/2 day Cape Sounion tour in June plus we might add a little time on in the Plaka.

Thank you Stipmom. We have booked with Paul for a 1/2 day Athens and 1/2 day Cape Sounion. We have heard nothing but good things about his operation. We are so excited!

We have also booked Paul for a 1/2 day trip to Cape Sounion in September. When you return I would really appreciate feedback on hhow the tour went. Either on the boards or to my email: Krodwell@colvoce.com. Thanks

Keith

We have also booked Paul for a 1/2 day trip to Cape Sounion in September. When you return I would really appreciate feedback on hhow the tour went. Either on the boards or to my email: Krodwell@colvoce.com. Thanks

Keith

We are going to the Acropolis, Plaka for a little while, and then Cape Sounian in early May. Will post when I return mid May. Using Paul's with Nick (his son) driving. elaine

• 1 month later...

We just got back from our trip which included a private tour by Jordan http://www.athens-tours.gr/

He did an AMAZING job. Told us a bunch of history, showed us around Athens and its surrounding areas, and to top it off, took us to one of the best restaurants we have eaten at in years!

I would honestly, highly recommend Jordan for any tours in Athens!

Archived