Who delivers room service orders?

Amy from Delaware

When you order room service, is it delivered by your steward, or by someone from the food services department?

I'd like to know, because I want to know how to tip. If it's your room steward, do you tip each time they bring something, or do you just lump it together in your tips at the end? If it's someone else, I assume you tip when the food is delivered.

Also, if you order a complete dinner during dinner hours, can you have it delivered in courses, or do they bring everything at once?

And one more question...(maybe not my last one!)...in hotels, I'm used to putting my room service tray in the hallway when I've finished. I know the hallways on ships are narrow...so what do you do with your tray and all the dirty dishes when you're done?

Room Service is delivered by Room Service personnel, not your cabin steward. I brought a roll of dollars onboard and kept it in the safe, gave the delivery person $2-$3 depending on the size of the order.

We never had a multi-course dinner delivered, but I believe they prefer to deliver it all at once to reduce trips to your cabin.

The ship requests that you leave the tray in your cabin, because of the narrow passageways - if you don't have a balcony table to leave it on, I would call Housekeeping to have it picked up when you are done.

Cheers,

mgcarnut

I have had a mixture of my room steward and the pantry maid bring me room service. I think it depens upon who is on duty. If it is the steward I tip extra at the end, if it is the pantry maid I'll tip her at the time or make the tip up when she next calls.

If you are in a suite and your butler delivers your meal, if you ask him beforehand he'll deliver it course by course. In other cabins it is all at once.

I'll normally leave the tray inside or on the balcony table, but I did place it outside the door on my last cruise a couple of times because I didn't want to be disturbed. This worked fine on Equinox as the door to the cabin was recessed and the tray didn't get in the way.

Phil

When you order room service, is it delivered by your steward, or by someone from the food services department? We've had it delivered by our cabin steward...but also by other crew (we don't know exactly where they worked, but somewhere on the ship! :o

I'd like to know, because I want to know how to tip. If it's your room steward, do you tip each time they bring something, or do you just lump it together in your tips at the end? If it's someone else, I assume you tip when the food is delivered. Even if it is our room steward, we tip when the food is delivered. We don't think that "room service" is actually part of the room steward's job.

Also, if you order a complete dinner during dinner hours, can you have it delivered in courses, or do they bring everything at once? They'll bring everything at once..unless you're in one of the high-end suites, at which time you can ask to have it delivered "by course".

And one more question...(maybe not my last one!)...in hotels, I'm used to putting my room service tray in the hallway when I've finished. I know the hallways on ships are narrow...so what do you do with your tray and all the dirty dishes when you're done?

We leave the tray in the room, and if we really don't want to be disturbed, call or find the room steward, who will take it away. I use a wheelchair and know just how narrow those halls are; it's hard enough to get around a service cart, without also having to dodge food service stuff!

A small hint: If you do order room service and it comes on the tray, keep the tray..and you can find it pretty useful at the buffet, or to carry food from the buffet to your room! :)

Afternoon Three Rings

On Solstice last summer we had a variety of staff deliver items to our

cabin, for breakfast mostly it was a cabin steward.

Do give the MDR menu a try in your room, we asked via room service

for the menu for that evening to be delivered to our room, mid afternoon.

made our chooses, and asked if they could stagger the courses for the

evening, they kindly set our balcony table with Table cloth, Rolls, Cutlery

and delivered the starters first, then approx 10 mins later the Main

and desserts arrived, they then duly arrived to clear the last of the

plates etc and we had coffee. Was a wonderful experience,

one evening we were docked in Istanbul and being an aft cabin had a fabulous view of

the city at night. :) We were not in a suite/CC/aqua to request this

service.

Hope that helps you

Mrs Blue Sky

When you order room service, is it delivered by your steward, or by someone from the food services department?

I'd like to know, because I want to know how to tip. If it's your room steward, do you tip each time they bring something, or do you just lump it together in your tips at the end? If it's someone else, I assume you tip when the food is delivered.

Also, if you order a complete dinner during dinner hours, can you have it delivered in courses, or do they bring everything at once?

Hi, Glad you asked about tipping for room service because I was going to post that same question. I also want to ask something silly. We have gone to the MDR for breakfast in the past but the menu looks so good for Equinox think we will eat on the balcony. My question is when you fill the sheet in if you wanted say coffee for 2 of you would you have to actually order 2 or would there be a pot to share.

We always tip when room service is delivered by whomever. We tip $1. to $2. I based that on what we tip for other things. Maybe I should rethink it. For a full dinner we do tip more.

We always take $50. to $100. in one dollar bills for tipping and for bargaining in appropriate ports. The amount depends on the length of the cruise.

I drink lactose-free milk and have to request it at the buffet. On the Infinity it is obtained at a place not real close to the buffet. Once I started tipping when it was gotten for me from the kitchen I got unbelievable service and a waiter who looked for me to see if I wanted my milk. Amazing what $1. can do. They always got it for me before but not as quickly and not as happily.

Thanks for the tray tip. That's definitely one I shall remember on the Equinox.

Hi, Glad you asked about tipping for room service because I was going to post that same question. I also want to ask something silly. We have gone to the MDR for breakfast in the past but the menu looks so good for Equinox think we will eat on the balcony. My question is when you fill the sheet in if you wanted say coffee for 2 of you would you have to actually order 2 or would there be a pot to share.

On all the other ships, or the ones I've been on you must enter a number. If you just check coffee, it's coffee for one, one cup etc. The other thing is if you want jam you have to put down the number, the same for butter, etc.

The first time I ordered I just checked things and even though I marked 2 for persons, we got singles of everything because I had not marked individual items with a number.

Thanks for all the responses! I'm putting "singles" on my packing list! I hope I can get the same experience Mrs. Blue Sky had! I would love to have the tablecloth, the meal served in courses, etc.

I wonder how big of a tip I need to leave if I get a view of Istanbul (since I'll be on a Bermuda cruise) ;);)

Thanks for all the responses! I'm putting "singles" on my packing list! I hope I can get the same experience Mrs. Blue Sky had! I would love to have the tablecloth, the meal served in courses, etc.

You can always get singles from Guest Relations once you board.

I wonder how big of a tip I need to leave if I get a view of Istanbul (since I'll be on a Bermuda cruise) ;);)

Hello Three Rings,

A Bermuda Cruise sounds lovely, esp after the awful weather we have all

been having recently.

Whenever your trip have a fabulous time.

Mrs Blue Sky

We have our breakfast in our room each day. On our last Summit cruise the steward asked specifically that we call when the tray could be picked up. And to please not leave it in the hallway. (I can undertand as they are unsightly and dangerous) On the Solstice, nothing was said. However we always called housekeeping when we were leaving our room after breakfast to say they could come for the tray. We leave our "do not disturb" sign up whenever we are in our room, unless waiting for the ice delivery etc.

Archived