Life Jackets for 4 yo and 20 mo

RCLnewbie

I'm wondering if someone with experience can help me out with this. We're going on the RCCL Liberty on the 7th of March and am debating about taking life jackets for my little ones. The youngest won't be able to swim while on the ship but I'm thinking about two things. 1. The tender's. Do they have infant/toddler lifejackets on them? 2. The water is SO shallow in Mexico, if I'm right at the water's edge should she wear one? Sounds like a terrible question but I'm just thinking about how hot she'll be. My gut says yes. Any advice for squeezing in two bulky lifejacktets into a suitcase? TIA

Have you seen the bathing suits with the built-in flotation? A couple of very young kids wear them at our pool...very little bulk...that may be an option. It's built into the top part of a tank suit (I guess it wouldn't work for a boy, tho!)

The cruiseline doesn't provide lifejacket for recreational use, but there will be lifejackets on the tender...you don't put them on, tho, unless it starts to sink! (Which I don't think has ever happened!!!)

If your gut tells you to bring them, go ahead...it may be bulky, but won't add alot of weight!

I've always brought life jackets for my toddlers for Mexico. Getting on and off the tenders can be rocky, and my nightmare is one of them falling in. Also gives me peace of mind at the beach (in my experience, the waves in PV can be pretty rough) and while they're on the pier in Cabo. They are bulky, but at least they're really light.

Best,

Mia

I figured the tender's would have them but wasn't sure if they'd allow you to put them on. My fear is "what if" something did happen. You'd have 30-40 people panicing and me trying to frantically find a toddler sized life jacket while holding the child and treading water! Not a pretty picture. I thought maybe if they made them wear them, I'd be willing to forgo bringing one. From my experience the water is very very shallow and if I'm in the water with the youngest, I'd be willing to do without. My oldest likes to wear the arm floaties (I know, not a supplement for a life jacket) but much less restricting for her and takes up almost no space in a suitcase. Thanks for the input above.

I have an entire duffle bag ready to go for our next cruise. Three life jackets for the 5, 2-1/2 and 1-1/2 YO. Plus float raft and viewer for when we go snorkeling. We also bring our own water shoes, fins etc.

Well, I'd say judging from your list of cruises you've had experience! I'm 90% sure I'll bring them. Have to pack my bags first and see how much I'm going to have to leave behind to get them there. ;)

We brought ours last year for our 7 and 4 year old. The pools on the ship are pretty deep for younger kids so it was nice to have the lifejacket for the 4 year old so she could float around with me and my dh instead of holding her the whole time in the pool.

They nested in pretty good in the suitcases since they're not adult size.

We brought ours last year for our 7 and 4 year old. The pools on the ship are pretty deep for younger kids so it was nice to have the lifejacket for the 4 year old so she could float around with me and my dh instead of holding her the whole time in the pool.

They nested in pretty good in the suitcases since they're not adult size.

Thanks Teresa, wish I could start packing now. I think the clothes would be a bit wrinkled after 17 days! ;)

There's a big difference between the Gulf Mexican beaches (Mayan Riviera) and the Pacific Mexican beaches (Mexican Riviera)! The Gulf beaches tend to have prettier beaches with soft sand, calm, shallow, clear water and very few waves. (My preference). The Pacific beaches tend to have rougher sand, brownish water, and big waves. We rented a beach house in Manzanillo (Pacific side) when our kids were little, and the ocean water and waves were pretty rough, so we mainly used the pool.

There's a big difference between the Gulf Mexican beaches (Mayan Riviera) and the Pacific Mexican beaches (Mexican Riviera)! The Gulf beaches tend to have prettier beaches with soft sand, calm, shallow, clear water and very few waves. (My preference). The Pacific beaches tend to have rougher sand, brownish water, and big waves. We rented a beach house in Manzanillo (Pacific side) when our kids were little, and the ocean water and waves were pretty rough, so we mainly used the pool.

I was wondering why she said the water was so shallow - the Pacific is far from shallow or calm. My preference would be the Gulf too - if only I could drive to the port there as well!

Best,

Mia

Have you seen the bathing suits with the built-in flotation? A couple of very young kids wear them at our pool...very little bulk...that may be an option. It's built into the top part of a tank suit (I guess it wouldn't work for a boy, tho!)

x2 on this one. Our 3 year old has what essentially looks like a ********* muscle shirt, except the muscles are flotation. It's cute and works good for him. Also helps keep him from getting mega-sunburned.

I was wondering why she said the water was so shallow - the Pacific is far from shallow or calm. My preference would be the Gulf too - if only I could drive to the port there as well!

Best' date='

Mia[/quote']

If you ever get the chance, I think you and your kids would really enjoy one of the Gulf or Caribbean beaches - especially the private islands. You can just set them on the beach, and they can ease their way in and play for hours. If you could drive as far as Galveston, you could enjoy a great Mayan Riviera cruise! Being nosey here, but do you prefer not to fly? I know it's really expensive with kids, and is a loooooong flight from West to East coast. My DD and her 2 very young kids have done this a couple of times. The only thing that saved her sanity was juice boxes, goldfish crackers, and about a thousand Little Einstein/Mickey Mouse Playhouse DVDs. :)

If you ever get the chance, I think you and your kids would really enjoy one of the Gulf or Caribbean beaches - especially the private islands. You can just set them on the beach, and they can ease their way in and play for hours. If you could drive as far as Galveston, you could enjoy a great Mayan Riviera cruise! Being nosey here, but do you prefer not to fly? I know it's really expensive with kids, and is a loooooong flight from West to East coast. My DD and her 2 very young kids have done this a couple of times. The only thing that saved her sanity was juice boxes, goldfish crackers, and about a thousand Little Einstein/Mickey Mouse Playhouse DVDs. :)

You're absolutely right - we have to go that way next. The flying itself isn't the issue - the twins are good flyers (Los Angeles/Barcelona last month), it just adds so much cost to the cruise that we end up doing the Mex Riviera and just have the ship as the destination. But my girls have no idea how beautiful and blue the ocean can be, so we'll have to go that way soon. Now it's going to nag at me until we get it booked! Thank you :)

Best,

Mia

You're absolutely right - we have to go that way next. The flying itself isn't the issue - the twins are good flyers (Los Angeles/Barcelona last month)' date=' it just adds so much cost to the cruise that we end up doing the Mex Riviera and just have the ship as the destination. But my girls have no idea how beautiful and blue the ocean can be, so we'll have to go that way soon. Now it's going to nag at me until we get it booked! Thank you :)

Best,

Mia[/quote']

Oh, you're so right about those costly air fares! The air can cost as much or more as the cruise! SWA has good fares from many West Coast cities to Houston Hobby (rent a car to Galveston), as well as NOLA, Orlando (Port Canaveral) and FLL. If you don't mind multi-hour layovers and 30-min direct flight stops. There are some gorgeous white sugar sand, beautiful turquoise water beaches along the AL/FL Gulf coast, but you're talking major money for a weekly condo during summer season, and you do your own food. And laundry. And sweeping up sand. And dishes. You could use a sandbox and kiddie pool in your backyard, do the same thing, and save a lot of money! I think your best bet, for cruising, would be a 5-7 night cruise from Galveston (closest port from West Coast) to Cozumel/Costa Maya/Grand Cayman (7-mile public beach is huge and gorgeous!). Or - you could do an All-Inclusive air included trip to one of the very many AI resorts on the Mexican gulf. One price, and everything is included. (Except shopping). Now, I love cruising, and this is a cruising board. But - you can get some really good AI deals on the Mayan Riviera. Kids are welcome, play areas, all food and drinks are included, and beautiful beaches. You basically fly into Cancun and then take a bus south. Much shorter flight than to the East Coast. Huge rooms, two queen beds, lots of amenities (free bottled water, coffee maker), big bathrooms, and golf cart transportation...these resorts are huge! I've been to AI resorts in Mexico eight times - love 'em! Not cruising, as you're in the same place every day. Anyway, something to consider. We WERE thinking about a Disney cruise for this summer, but are now considering an AI instead. Much cheaper. Good luck to you! I know you'll get those girls to a great beach!

x2 on this one. Our 3 year old has what essentially looks like a ********* muscle shirt, except the muscles are flotation. It's cute and works good for him. Also helps keep him from getting mega-sunburned.

Uhhh, can someone tell me why my name for the masked web-slinger otherwise known as Peter Parker does not show in my post? :confused:

\

Actually they do make one for boys as well, it's like a wet suit only with floatation inserted in . We use them for our daughter and they are great. Much easier than packing floaties and life perservers

We took them for our kids last year. They were 4 years and 19 months. The four year old used it in the pools and we took them to the beach. We didn't use them on the tender but might have if we would have thought about it.

Archived