Scrapbooks, Memory Boxes and the Like.......

sail7seas

I have a picture with the Captain from some cruise, I forget which one. Otherwise, I have nothing. I never save a thing from cruises. Oh, I just got a tile. I'll save that. Kind of sad, you might think, but no, I am very happy.:)

I once was going to save my sign and sail bill but thought that was kind of depressing.

Thank heavens for you, Suse, because I was beginning to think I was the only unsentimental (is that a word?) person here!

The only thing I have are the tiles, which I use as coasters. I have a few ID cards thrown in a box, but probably the next time I clean out that box, they'll be history. Oh, yes, and I do have a few pictures of us that I have either bought from the photographers or were given to us on special occasions. And that's about it.

Once a cruise is over, I have some great memories, but after we bore our friends and family with our stories and pictures, we start planning the next trip.

From our first two cruises ... before we got involved with Cruise Critic ... we saved very little. Now we try to save everything except receipts as an aid to answering questions. Just this week I was able to answer a question from stuff I saved from a 6/06 cruise! :)

We just have a folder for each cruise though, not a "scrapbook".

I am a deltiologist (postcard collector) and one of my collections is 'been there' cards of places we've been. So, when we're on a cruise we always mail at least one postcard to ourselves at our home address. It can be a challenge to find a postcard to buy and a bigger challenge to find a place to buy a stamp and mail the card. (The ones we've had the ship mail we've never received so we don't use that option anymore.)

I never knew there was a name for a postcard collector. I have every postcard I have ever received and that goes back to the early 1940s when I was a child. I also buy them and have sent many to myself. Of course I would never admit that before but now it is out in the open.

Very interesting reading this thread as well. I even have a postcard from the ship we came to Canada on in 1952. Still have it in an album with pictures of that transatlantic.

Our first cruise (Alaska) I made a gorgeous scrapbook, kept everything (daily programs, room key, notes, postcards, etc.). I still look at that album often.

Next Carribean cruise, just a few things. RC Cruise - I even bought a really nice album on the ship but it is still empty and never completed.

I wasn't working on our first cruise and had lots of time to scrapbook. Now .... my job keeps me very busy!! LOL :)

I love the scrapbooks though and hope to do one on this upcoming Eurodam cruise and the Hawaii cruise of course!!

I don't have dedicated cruise collections but I have created ,and this may sound a little silly, what you might call an emergency collection:o

I have a leather photo album (not too big) and small wooden box sitting on my coffee table. Inside are specially chosen photos (ie baby photos ,kids as they've grown, graduations, special holidays. vacations, our gardens in their glory and yes some great cruise pictures:)) and keepsakes. If in,God forbid, an emergency evacuation or fire (safety first of course) I can scoop these priceless treasures and go.

I also often enjoy just flipping through the album in quiet moments an enjoy a mini composite of our life.

One album for each cruise, or one album for all 103 cruises?

When we took our first cruise I decided that I would do a scrapbook because I thought it better to bore my friends with a few pages of carefully edited photos, rather than pages and pages of photos of the same palm tree from different angles. The first five cruises are in one album, but the next two (Which were close to perfect) each got their own album. Eight & nine are sharing space in album #4, while our most recent cruise is waiting for another HAL cruise to complete it.

I'm not sure which is more addictive for me; cruising or scrapbooking. They seem to go hand in hand.

I first started with 1 album for each cruise. Then as we cruised more and more -- I found that I needed to expand the albums and combine 3 or 4 cruises in each one -- depended on length of cruise.

We also have combined albums of all our land travels -- which is quite a few.

Yes, we save everything too. This winter I finally put everyting in its own album. I had 10 HAL shopping bags filled from each trip, just waiting for me to deal with. I even had the picture albums, just never took the time to do it. When we are on our cruise, after dinner, when the steward has turned down our sheets and left the next days info on the bed, my husband takes a picture of the next days Daily Program. That way I know which island we stopped at and inside the album it tells which port we are looking at.

Cindy

Yes, we save everything too. This winter I finally put everyting in its own album. I had 10 HAL shopping bags filled from each trip, just waiting for me to deal with. I even had the picture albums, just never took the time to do it. When we are on our cruise, after dinner, when the steward has turned down our sheets and left the next days info on the bed, my husband takes a picture of the next days Daily Program. That way I know which island we stopped at and inside the album it tells which port we are looking at.

Cindy

I have saved all the daily programs from all our cruises.

I've started saving our sign&sail passes. Will eventually make fridge magnets out of them (got that idea from someone on CC, can't remember who, but thank you :) ) Other than that, nothing. We leave our tiles in the cabin, by the bible, in case the next occupants want them. We have pictures on-line and on our PC. That's enough. I'm quite happy with digital mementoes.

When we sell this place, we'll be moving to a condo or townhouse, and I'm doing all I can to eliminate clutter. The collector car is being sold this spring (I hope), the antiques are being sold soon, everything that is non-essential is going.

I've started saving our sign&sail passes. Will eventually make fridge magnets out of them (got that idea from someone on CC, can't remember who, but thank you :) ) Other than that, nothing. We leave our tiles in the cabin, by the bible, in case the next occupants want them. We have pictures on-line and on our PC. That's enough. I'm quite happy with digital mementoes.

When we sell this place, we'll be moving to a condo or townhouse, and I'm doing all I can to eliminate clutter. The collector car is being sold this spring (I hope), the antiques are being sold soon, everything that is non-essential is going.

We did that on our last move and it is a sense of freedom that you feel when you get rid of everything non-essential. My rule was to keep only things that I loved. If I only liked it, it went to charity and so forth.

Good luck. It is such a great feeling to do that.:)

We purchased a very nice Alaska scrapbook and kit on the Oosterdam on our 1st HAL cruise. Weren't able to find a "special" Mexico book for our Mexican "Riviera" cruise. I felt like a traitor buying our Baltic scrapbook and kit from the Carnival web site. We're building up to probably doing a western Caribbean (possibly jumping over to Carnival) in April but I haven't found a Caribbean-centric scrapbook (12 x 12).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a source?

First I had a cruise scrapbook with various cruises in it. That was in the 80s. Then I started making them for each cruise. i kept up as long as I was working and we onlly did one cruise or vacation a year, but once I retired I couldn't keep up. Now I have a ton of stuff in my sewing closet that I haven't scrapped in any way. I made a few of the published books since I discovered that they take up a ot less room than my scrapbooks but I haven't kept up on them either.

We purchased a very nice Alaska scrapbook and kit on the Oosterdam on our 1st HAL cruise. Weren't able to find a "special" Mexico book for our Mexican "Riviera" cruise. I felt like a traitor buying our Baltic scrapbook and kit from the Carnival web site. We're building up to probably doing a western Caribbean (possibly jumping over to Carnival) in April but I haven't found a Caribbean-centric scrapbook (12 x 12).

Does anyone have any suggestions for a source?

There are lots of companies that sell travel scrapbook supplies via the internet. Two of my favorites are Scrap Your Trip & Tropical Scrapbooking.

I bought a scrapbooking kit on our cruise. There is enough in it for a few cruises! It has the Carnival Logo on some of the paper and stickers, and maps of where we went on the paper. Really wasn't too pricey because it has so much stuff in it.

It was our 25th wedding anniversary/first cruise, but I don't think I'll do too many pages. I didn't take tons if pictures and the album it will go in is of our marriage so far. Maybe if we continue to cruise, I'll have an album for cruises.

Archived