Rainforestgirl...Another ??? Raices Restaurant

lbaerg

OK RAINFORESTGIRL

Can you answer this??

What do you think of Raices restaurant in Old San Juan??

Price/ typical PR food?? Do they have music?

I'm not sure if it posted but

I love your Blog! Very Helpful Not sure if I can say that...;)

Lauren

Don't do it!! It's a total tourist trap... I begrudgingly went 2 weeks ago since one of the girls I was travelling with seemed really excited to go after our taxi driver recommended it. We were sooooooo disappointed. Sure, the decor is great and the singing the waiters do is fun, but we almost felt conned... we were convinced to try this shot "stronger than Bacardi 151 that knocks 250 pound men off their feet" - yeah right. The portions were small and the "Typical Festival" appetizer platter items were so deep friend that even while looking at the menu while eating, we could not deciphre what a single item was (other than plantain chips). The skirt steak left a lot to be desired, and was so small for the price. It is also EXPENSIVE. The platter was $29!!! So, so, so disappointed....

I guess some people love it, some people hate it....

I know tourists think it is "touristy" because of the decorations/dress of the waitstaff, but they have another restaurant in Caguas (a not touristy location) that is the same. So it is not a tourist trap. But it is VERY popular with tourists and locals like, so there is usually a line for dinner.

Prices are not cheap, but that is true of most sit down restaurants in SJ/OSJ.

Typical PR appetizers are deep fried.

Now, it is my favorite place to eat in OSJ, no. Would I eat there again, yes.

the restaurant is not a tourist trap, this is their second restaurant, the first one is located in Caguas and was so successful that they decided to open another one in the historic district like the above poster said. They are dressed in typical puerto rican folk attire and the music played is heartland jibaro puerto rican music.

My husband and his family are Puerto Rican. They fry almost everything. We're trying to decide where to eat because I LOVE PR food, especially rice and beans, arroz con pollo and a few other things. I don't like plantains though.

My husband and his family are Puerto Rican. They fry almost everything. We're trying to decide where to eat because I LOVE PR food, especially rice and beans, arroz con pollo and a few other things. I don't like plantains though.

As a local I am not allowed to name names of places I like.

But luckily, there are tons of restaurants in OSJ and most post their menu out front (so you know what they have and the price).

We ate at a local place last year. The name had XXI in it and it was in Old San Juan. Very good food, but we were the only tourists in it (us and another couple who spoke fluent spanish). Our tour guide recommended it.

rainforestgirl.

We are arriving in San Juan and would like to have a fairly early dinner with a group of about 30. Some friends are arriving on the Solstice and we are on Eurodam. Solstice departs at 8pm so we would need to eat early. We have eaten at El Jibarito on Sol street a couple of times and want to try something different. We want fairly inexpensive local cuisine and would really like to have outdoor seating. Is there anything in old SJ that fits us? You can email me if you would like.

I can't name names.....but an early dinner for 30 people shouldn't be a problem with almost any place. The fairly inexpensive local food in a nice/historic/outside atmosphere for 30 people in OSJ may be more of a problem.

There are a couple places.

The place where the Pina Colada was "invented" on Calle Fortaleza (do a google search) has an indoor open air courtyard that is nice. Prices are not too bad, food is ok.

There is a "cafe" on Paseo de la Princesa that is nice.

There is a new place on Cristo Street (#156) that has recently changed from Persian cuisine to local food. It has an outdoor seating area, but I don't know if it is good.

Parrott Club might work for you. They have an outdoor patio and should be able to handle 30 people at their restaurant with prior notice although it isn't a really big place.

• 4 weeks later...

We ate at Raices this past Monday and it IS authentic PR food. Having in-laws who are PR helps. I had rice and beans they tasted exactly like my mother in laws. It is also not a "tourist trap". There were more locals in there than tourists.

Archived