First international flight and Delta questions

TwinCruiserMom

I have a few questions for you world travelers as my family is flying roundtrip CVG to CUN (nonstop) this summer and it will be our first international flight (also first with Delta).

Do we need to arrive at CVG earlier than normal for this flight? I am not sure if there is any different check in process when you are flying to another country.

When we arrive in Cancun, how will our processing be different than it is for a normal domestic flight?

I have read on tripadvisor that they request at CUN that you arrive 3 hours before your return flight home. Do you know if this is true? We are flying in and out on Tuesdays which should not be a real busy day. What kind of process is involved in leaving a country?

This is our first flight with Delta and it looks like we can each have one free bag checked since we are flying to Mexico. Am I understanding this correctly?

What kind of free service is there on Delta flights? Do you at least get soda and pretzels or something like that?

Thank you so much for any information. We have flown many times from Ohio to Florida and mostly on Air Tran so this is all new for us. I would like to understand this whole process so I can be prepared.

The process is not that different. For an international flight, the airline will need to see all the passports, so it can take longer to check in. You can look at your flight to see the inflight services, but it appears that on the nonstop for this routing, if you are in coach, there are snacks for sale. You will get free soft drinks/water.

On DL, you get two free checked bags between the US and Mexico.

For travel between the U.S./Canada, Puerto Rico, U.S. Virgin Islands to/from Bermuda, Caribbean, Mexico, and Latin America, the first two checked bags are free

Before you land in Cancun, you will receive forms from the FAs, that you need to complete; a form for a Tourist Card and a Custom's Declaration Form. When you get off the plane you first go to Immigration and show your passport and tourist card. These will be stamped. Don't lose the card. Then you pick up your baggage and proceed to customs, where you give them your Custom's form. Mexico has a red light, green light system. If you have nothing to declare, you go up to the lights and push the button. If it's green, you can leave, red, you got unlucky and can have your bag searched.

You will receive another Customs Declaration form on your return flight that you need to complete and show to Passport control when you enter the US and surrender to Customs after you pick up your bags on your return. You only need one form for your entire family.

Here's a link to a copy of the US form:

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/travel/id_visa/i-94_instructions/sample_cbp_decla.ctt/sample_cbp_decla.pdf

I have never been through CUN, but other airports in Mexico have been a zoo. I would arrive early.

You pretty much reverse this process when returning to the US. Just follow everyone else getting off the plane to Immigration & Customs.

I have a few questions for you world travelers as my family is flying roundtrip CVG to CUN (nonstop) this summer and it will be our first international flight (also first with Delta).

Do we need to arrive at CVG earlier than normal for this flight? I am not sure if there is any different check in process when you are flying to another country.

When we arrive in Cancun, how will our processing be different than it is for a normal domestic flight?

I have read on tripadvisor that they request at CUN that you arrive 3 hours before your return flight home. Do you know if this is true? We are flying in and out on Tuesdays which should not be a real busy day. What kind of process is involved in leaving a country?

This is our first flight with Delta and it looks like we can each have one free bag checked since we are flying to Mexico. Am I understanding this correctly?

What kind of free service is there on Delta flights? Do you at least get soda and pretzels or something like that?

Thank you so much for any information. We have flown many times from Ohio to Florida and mostly on Air Tran so this is all new for us. I would like to understand this whole process so I can be prepared.

I would arrive earlier than normal to CVG, because DL has to verify that you have the documentation required to enter Mexico. This does add to the check in time (I always add an hour for international flights.)

Three hours ahead of departure sounds about right for arriving at CUN. Not only do they check your documentation, but they also will take your FMT (tourist card.) Also they will check your documentation at security and at the gate. I find airport security in Mexico to be tighter than in the US (expect army patrols armed with M-16s.)

You do get two free bags. Note that on the return, your carry on cannot weigh more than 10 kg (Mexican rule.)

According to DL, your flight will have buy on board space food going both directions in coach.

Have a great trip!

I would arrive earlier than normal to CVG, because DL has to verify that you have the documentation required to enter Mexico. This does add to the check in time (I always add an hour for international flights.)

Three hours ahead of departure sounds about right for arriving at CUN. Not only do they check your documentation, but they also will take your FMT (tourist card.) Also they will check your documentation at security and at the gate. I find airport security in Mexico to be tighter than in the US (expect army patrols armed with M-16s.)

You do get two free bags. Note that on the return, your carry on cannot weigh more than 10 kg (Mexican rule.)

According to DL, your flight will have buy on board space food going both directions in coach.

Have a great trip!

And how is this information different than what OP has already been told? I know nothing about a "Mexican rule" that says your carry on for a DL flight may weigh only 10 kg.

We just did this trip last week. We needed the full 3 hrs in Detroit before leaving for Cancun and again the full 3 hrs before leaving from Cancun from Detroit. We left on a Fri and returned on a Tues. Prepare for extra security measures on both ends. When we left Cancun they went through all carryons and even frisked 4 yr olds as we were getting on our plane, even though everything had gone thru the scanners and security. Also Delta did not have the tourist card forms on the plane so we were given them at the Cancun airport where everone on the plane had to sit on the floor and fill them out before we could proceed thru customs and immigration. Also, be sure to keep your part of the form with your passport, you will need it to return home. They neglected to tell me that I needed to keep that form so I had to pay $50.00 before they would let me leave their country! Again, after having everything screened and scanned before we left Cancun, when we got to Detroit, all our luggage had to be scanned before we could leave the airport. Even though this was all a hassle, we did feel very safe and truly enjoyed our trip.

Before you land in Cancun, you will receive forms from the FAs, that you need to complete; a form for a Tourist Card and a Custom's Declaration Form. When you get off the plane you first go to Immigration and show your passport and tourist card. These will be stamped. Don't lose the card.

. Also, be sure to keep your part of the form with your passport, you will need it to return home. They neglected to tell me that I needed to keep that form so I had to pay $50.00 before they would let me leave their country!

And of course, if you would have had your tourist card, no one would have asked for it when you left!

We just did this trip last week. We needed the full 3 hrs in Detroit before leaving for Cancun and again the full 3 hrs before leaving from Cancun from Detroit. We left on a Fri and returned on a Tues. Prepare for extra security measures on both ends.

It took you three hours in Detroit to check bags, go through security and get to the gate? How long did you wait at the gate to get on the plane?

Goodness!

Did this take longer because it was an international flight out or is it the same when you fly normally out of Detroit?

We are flying out of Cincinnati and I am wondering how much time I need to allow for a 9:20am flight on a Tuesday morning. I have not flown out of that airport before as we use Dayton, Indianapolis and Columbus.

I guess we will make sure to arrive at Cancun airport three hours ahead as it seems they may be slow and make things a bit difficult on the way out.

We were dropped off at the international terminal, where everyone has to ck in at the counter for international flights. No early print out of boarding passes for these flights. Dropped off at 7:00 am, finally got to the ck in counter at 9:15 am....they told us we had to be at the gate by 10:15 am. We went thru security and screenings and frisking and wands and made it to our gate at 10:00am. ( I saw many people still in line for Mexico city....their flight was leaving at 8:55am...at 8:25 am the agents refused to give them boarding passes...they said it was too late for them to go thru security and get to their gates.) Our plane to Cancun left about 45 min late, the pilot said there were so many people backed up in the lines, he would wait for them, which was kind of him but made our trip even longer. Maybe all of this was just a fluke for us.......I have been to Cincinnati airport and truthfully, I don't think you will have all the woes of a larger airport. However, I would allow for the three hours at the airport. I would rather be sitting at the airport than sitting at home worrying. My advice is...don't let this scare you or spoil your trip, just go with the flow and have fun on your vacation....We sure did! Just consider your days of flying as something you have to do to get to paradise!

Archived