Maitre D' QM2

guardia

Beniamano Acler was the Queens Grill Maitre d' when we were recently on the QM2, we disembarked on February 13th.

The new system is to have one Senior Maitre'D for the whole ship - and he is de facto QG Maitre D' too. But he should be seen in every restaurant.

Andrew Nelder was visible in Britannia on QV and holds the same position. Rather strangely, David Chambers is not Senior Maitre D' on the QM2. He has been seen running the PG. If he were in PG and I were in QG I would ask to be moved to PG on the basis of that alone.

How Cunard can say that he should not be running the QG is, frankly, beyond me.

Indeed, David Chambers was the MD in the Princess Grill on our crossing last May. It was the first time we met this fine gentleman. We had a few interesting conversations about the old Union-Castle Line (which ceased operations in 1977) which was his previous employer and my favourite line.

Indeed, David Chambers was the MD in the Princess Grill on our crossing last May. It was the first time we met this fine gentleman. We had a few interesting conversations about the old Union-Castle Line (which ceased operations in 1977) which was his previous employer and my favourite line.

David also makes the world's best Crepes Suzette:

th_P1090081.jpg

Dessert on 2/10/10, made by David Chambers. Wonderful!

I wish I had known his Union Castle connection, some of my best childhood memories are from trips on the old Castle ships, and my parents met on the Llansteffan Castle on a passage from England to Cape Town.

> The new system is to have one Senior Maitre'D for the whole ship - and he is de facto QG Maitre D' too. But he should be seen in every restaurant.

Surely service suffers in the QG if the Maitre D has to be seen in the other restaurants?

Thanks, Stephen.

All I can say is that reports from those I trust suggest the system works well on QV. Mind you, the Senior Maitre'D is ex QE2, so there is no surprise there....

I was on QM2 back in October for the Round Britain & very glad I was in QG - friends who were in PG found Mr Chambers to be particularly unhelpful & seemed unwilling to tackle service issues in his own restaurant. Our friends took their issues higher up with non QE2 management who managed to resolve them to their satisfaction.

Luckily Benaimino Acler is still Senior Maitre D' & runs the QG wonderfully, and is probably the best MD I have encountered at sea, along with Jorge on Silver Cloud.

I was on QM2 back in October for the Round Britain & very glad I was in QG - friends who were in PG found Mr Chambers to be particularly unhelpful & seemed unwilling to tackle service issues in his own restaurant. Our friends took their issues higher up with non QE2 management who managed to resolve them to their satisfaction.

Luckily Benaimino Acler is still Senior Maitre D' & runs the QG wonderfully, and is probably the best MD I have encountered at sea, along with Jorge on Silver Cloud.

Edina, we were on the same cruise and quite agree with you. Having said that l am aware that Sandro is back in PG which pleases me more.

Jackie :)

I hope the service in Princess Grill is excellent. I've booked a PG suite,rather than a QG suite, with the idea being that I'd have extra spending money.

However having said that no saving is worth putting up with bad food and service. Does anyone have any comments or opinions as to whether the upgrade to QG is necessary?

Hi Margatebne,

I was on QM2 last in nov 2009 in Princess Grill for 3 weeks, whilst I thought the service from the waiting staff was excellent, the Maitre D's including Sandre Raneiro could have been better & were nothing like the excellent Mr Acler from my May crossing in Queens Grill and indeed even Mr Chambers himself from the excellent QE2 Queens Grill would have I am sure been more accommodating especially when I mentioned a few miner complaints to the Maitre D's which were not addressed as well as both QG Restaurants on both QM2 & QE2!!! I will still book PG grade again as food & service overall wonderful but if the fare was good I'd always by choice book Queens Grill!!!

Kind Regards,

RJMS74

I was on QM2 last in nov 2009 in Princess Grill for 3 weeks, whilst I thought the service from the waiting staff was excellent, the Maitre D's including Sandre Raneiro could have been better & were nothing like the excellent Mr Acler from my May crossing in Queens Grill and indeed even Mr Chambers himself from the excellent QE2 Queens Grill would have I am sure been more accommodating especially when I mentioned a few miner complaints to the Maitre D's which were not addressed as well as both QG Restaurants on both QM2 & QE2!!! I will still book PG grade again as food & service overall wonderful but if the fare was good I'd always by choice book Queens Grill!!!

Thanks for the feedback. Can you tell me what complaints you had which went unaddressed by the PG staff?

• 3 weeks later...
David also makes the world's best Crepes Suzette:

th_P1090081.jpg

Dessert on 2/10/10, made by David Chambers. Wonderful!

I wish I had known his Union Castle connection, some of my best childhood memories are from trips on the old Castle ships, and my parents met on the Llansteffan Castle on a passage from England to Cape Town.

I beg to differ. In my humble Oliver in the QG is by far the very best crepes suzette maker!:D

We also think he would make a fabulous Maitre d' .

May I have the recipe please?

Sir Martin:D

Go to (insert cheapo supermarket of choice) and buy a packet. They're only pancakes on which some barmpot has wasted some perfectly good booze.

An Unimpressed Gari

Archived