new york to canada carnival glory do i need a passport

i was not 100 percent sure about canada.:confused:

It is confusing. Strictly speaking you can enter Canada with a birth cert and photo ID

Quote from Canada Passport website,

'When you enter Canada, a CBSA officer may ask to see your passport and a valid visa, if one is necessary. If you are a citizen of the United States, you do not need a passport to enter Canada. However, you should carry proof of your citizenship, such as a birth certificate, certificate of citizenship or naturalization, as well as photo identification. If you are a permanent resident of Canada or the U.S, you should bring your Permanent Resident Card with you.'

However to get back into to the States you need a passport unless it is a 'closed loop cruise' Same port for arrival and departure.

Quote from US border services website

'Note: Cruise Ship Passengers: U.S. citizens on closed-loop cruises (cruises that begin and end at the same U.S. port) will be able to enter or depart the country with a birth certificate and government-issued photo ID. Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.'

Be careful One parent with children pose special problems

To be certain I would definately have a passport.

i was not 100 percent sure about canada.:confused:

To enter Canada, no passport is required for USA citizens w/ proof of citizenship (BC&photo ID). However, the USA has changed the rules to re-enter the United States, so on anything except a closed loop (arrive same place you left from on your cruise), you will require a passport. Also, Canada will not admit someone who is not carrying the correct paperwork (a passport in the case of a person returning to the USA) to return home.

Carnival Glory on June 14, 2010 goes NYC-StJohns-Halifax-NYC. If OP is a US citizen with a US birth certificate, then she is on a RT cruise in the Western Hemisphere and may cruise on just the BC/ID that she apparently is already accustomed to using for her previous cruises.

We are booked on Carnival's Glory, too...Aug 5th sailing. Although my husband, son and I have passports, my mother and my father-in-law have expired ones. Not only did I verify with my TA, I verified with others. They do NOT need a passport for this trip.....NY/Saint John/NY. They will have to bring their original birth certificates and their driver's license.

Have a good time!

Archived