First Timer Planning Questions!

cards09

Hi,

I'm planning my very first cruise for April to Key West/Cozumel. It would be me (early-twenties) and my mother (mid-fifties). I am very excited, but there seems to be so many aspects to think about, and I am starting to get flustered! Any info you have on these issues would be much appreciated!

• First of all, can you list some pros/cons on taking a cruise to Key West/Cozumel versus just staying at a resort in Miami? We live in the cold Midwest, so we are just looking for some sun!
  • Any preferences between the Celebrity Century vs. the Grandeur of the Seas? These are the 2 ships that I am considering. They are both 4 night trips, and the itineraries and pricing are very similar. Is there anything else that differentiates these 2 ships that would sway my decision?
  • I haven't booked my flights yet. If the ships are set to arrive at 7am, what time should I book the return flight? Would noon be too early? If necessary, can we carry off our own luggage on RCI and on Celebrity?

I am sure I will have many more questions once we actually book all the travel! Thanks in advance for all your help; these boards have been so informative so far!

If your cruise returns to Miami, and you fly out of MIA, then anything from 11am onward will work....you'll be off the ship early and it's only a 20 min drive.....

Book the ship that will give you the most room---generally, Carnivals cabins are larger than RCI's...especially on the older ships, like Granduer.

As far as a cruise vs. land vacation...it's up to you! What do you like to do? Explore? If that's the case, a land-based vacation is probably better...you don't really have enough time in ports to fully explore....you do have time constraints to consider when cruising.

If you enjoy just sitting by the pool, having a drink and being waited on, then a cruise is a lovely way to do that!

Let us know what you decide!

I love Key West and back when Florida was hot, prices were around $250 a night for a hotel and up during the winter, when it wasnt too hot, so it was a big treat. I lived in Boca and loved the drive down there, over all the bridges from one key to the next. Key West is like its own island, isolated in a way. I got some great bargains shopping there last time too, was there from the Conquest out of Galveston.

RCL I know lets you do express walk off with your luggage. Both lines are owned by RCL. Celebrity will probably have fewer children, but usually they dont bother me.

I think Noon would be safe to book a flight home, as more than likely you will be there quite early, but best to leave some lee way. Fly in the night before, just to make sure there is no problem and be safe.

If your cruise returns to Miami, and you fly out of MIA, then anything from 11am onward will work....you'll be off the ship early and it's only a 20 min drive.....

Book the ship that will give you the most room---generally, Carnivals cabins are larger than RCI's...especially on the older ships, like Granduer.

The OP is trying to decide between Celebrity and RCL.

Thanks for the advice so far!

It seems to me that compared to staying at a resort, cruises offer a lot more options right at your fingertips (meals, entertainment, shore excursions)!

However, there are a lot more little logistical things to worry about (transfers to and from the port, disembarking, whether to bring your passport to the port of call or not, potentially missing your flight/ship) and general etiquette first timers might not know much about (tipping, formality of dinners, towel policies). These boards have been really helpful, but have also brought up issues that I did not even know I should be concerned about!

I'm thinking that a resort would offer more flexibility in scheduling things we want to do on our own time and a larger and more comfortable room, but I also do not want to miss out on all a cruise would have to offer! Wishy-washy...

Hello,

Go with Celebrity. RCCL is a very good cruise line but Celebrity would provide you with a slghtly more upscale experience.

On a cruise you have everything that a land vacation has plus the wonderful aesthetics unique to a cruise vacation (seeing a sunset, a sunrise, and the beauty of the ocean).

There will be plenty for you to do on either ship, and then there is the adventure of a new experience.

Royal Caribbean also owns Celebrity. I don't think you can go wrong with either one, but I have never done Celebrity. It looks like the Celebrity has more eating choices including a $30-per-person specialty restaurant. Have you checked out the member reviews of both ships? I see the Carnival Imagination and Destiny also have 4 day cruises from Miami to the same places. Looks like the Destiny is a large ship, like the Conquest. And have you considered a longer cruise? I'd go for a 7-day if I were flying in.

Whatever you decide, I'm sure you will have a great time.

On thing not mentioned which is a huge CON on the cruise vs. just a stay at a hotel... cruises are addicting. Terribly, horribly gloriously addicting.:p

Yes there are more logistics to work out in advance. This is reduced by finding a good travel agent, although it seems you may have already booked. But read these boards, ask questions and you'll work it all out.

But the glory of cruises is once you're on board, is is EASY. No packing and unpacking. The ship brings you a new port every (or almost every) morning. The night before you get a list of what's going on on the ship itself. You can decide what to do... or not do in the comfort of your cabin.

Staff on a ship are more plentiful and helpful than the average hotel.

YOu don't have to worry about driving, directions, getting places on time. You can eat out and you have choices of where, or have room service.

So the work you do in advance is more than made up for by the ease of things once you're on board. And if you're at all like some of us, the planning becomes a desired part of the trip, because you can do it at your leisure in advance.

I hope you get as addicted as I am, and enjoy your first cruise.

• 2 weeks later...

It seems to me that compared to staying at a resort, cruises offer a lot more options right at your fingertips (meals, entertainment, shore excursions)!

You are very right.. and a large choice of different type of meals just on the buffet and near it, being served first class at dinner by some of the best waiters around, free room service on most ships.

However, there are a lot more little logistical things to worry about (transfers to and from the port, disembarking, whether to bring your passport to the port of call or not, potentially missing your flight/ship) and general etiquette first timers might not know much about (tipping, formality of dinners, towel policies). These boards have been really helpful, but have also brought up issues that I did not even know I should be concerned about!

for most ships, tipping is easy as it is a per day automatic charge, as say Carnival charges 10 dollars a day for tips and gratuitys, and does all the passing out for you to everyone (except alcohol and specialty drinks/deserts and that is added onto the ticket, room service as not everyone uses it,and you give them a dollar ,2 or 3, depending on how much they brought.. service etc. Usually business casual, including dress shorts are ok for normal dinners, elegant or fancy nights suits, dockers, dress shirt with or without blazer/sports coat, and this first timers forum is a great place to find out about all of it. Just being aware of when you need to be there, no later than, nothing more than missing your flight if you arent there in time to catch it. Leaving takes longer as your luggage has to go through customs, and that all depends on where you are on the list.. we go have breakfast and take our time.. pretty soon it's our turn there we go.

I'm thinking that a resort would offer more flexibility in scheduling things we want to do on our own time and a larger and more comfortable room, but I also do not want to miss out on all a cruise would have to offer! Wishy-washy...

It will offer more flexibiltiy in scheduling things for the only place you are visiting, while a cruise takes you many places and no matter how long you stay cleans your room at least twice a day. The room you have will be larger, but you aren't in the room much on board.. too many things to do with all the free entertainment, etc... They are right in warning you.. cruising is very addictive.. My dh (hubby) knew he would hate it. Sent me on a cruise with his aunt/my girlfriend.. and we loved it, talked him into going and we are going on his 3rd in May and have his 4th already booked in October.

• 2 weeks later...

A cruise is absolutly the best bang for your buck!!! Everything you need to know is here somewhere. Start with a good TA (travel agent) you don't have to commit just to check it out. They will also help you with a lot of the details you mentioned. Shuttles back and forth to the airport, cordinating everything, documents, etc. Lots of times, TA's have cruise special sindigs where they have repensentives from several cruise lines who come and answer questions. It is a great way to choose which company you want to go with. You will not be rushed in the ports if you don't have the attitude that you have to see it all. The most important thing to remember is to set your watch to "ship time" because sometimes they adjust to local time and sometimes they don't.

You can take your luggage off the ship yourself. The first or second day of the cruise, there will be a form to fill out on your debarking preferences. You just indicate your choice there, no worries :D

Towels are provided in your room. For swimming or excursions, you just use your sea pass and if you return the towel, no charge. You can swap them out for dry ones several times a day.

There are many dining choices, formal, buffet, pool side hot dogs and burgers, pizza. You do what you want! Formal is not very formal, I did wear a "little black dress" and husband wore slacks and dress shirt. Non-formal nights capris, jeans and a nice top; anything but shorts or swimsuits basically.

I always book excursions through the cruise line, that way I can cancel last minute if I need to and they always make sure I get back in time!!!

Another bonus is if the weather is yucky, there is much more to do on the ship like classes on wine tasting, movies, shoping and much much more.

Hope this helps :)

Archived