NORWEGIAN COASTAL VOYAGES - We're going in Aug. I have a few questions.

dcsam

Is there anyone with experience with Vantage travel? They have a package including the 14 day round trip of the fjords - on the Norwegian coastal line. The international flights arrive at and depart from Bergen. We have been to Oslo, and have driven from there to Bergen, so it is seeing the fjords that is of greatest interest.

etsdas - We've never used Vantage. We booked directly with Norwegian Coastal Voyages for the 17 day Grand Norway on 2005.

The round trip from Bergen to Kirkenes and back was one of the best trips we have taken out of 30+. Highly recommend it however you book it.

We were on the Midnatsol. I would also recommend you book one of the Millenium ships. Midnatsol, Finnmarken or Trollfjord.

Having just moved to Oslo, the Norwegian coast just jumped way up in our list of potential cruise destinations. I've been checking out the Hurtigruten site and talking to people at work, but I'm still not sure.

I've heard conflicting, but equally valid stories. Some people have said that it was an amazing trip and the scenery was just beautiful. Others have conceded that yes, it's gorgeous, but the only thing to do is to sit and watch the scenery. This sounds like it might be a valid point as well.

Is there much to do on the trip besides enjoy the scenery? As a pair of world-wandering, high-energy 20-somethings, are we going to get board? We love sea days on other cruises for the forced relaxation (no pressure see all the sights), but without the usual spread of shipboard activities, I'm worried that a 6-day Bergen to Kirkenes trip might be too much relaxation!

The other big hang-up is the price. We're trying to get used to Norwegian prices, but we still prefer buying everything we can outside of Norway! Since the Hurtigruten is just as (and even more) expensive than the major cruise lines. I'm wondering if there's a way to get more for our money. Of course, a big ship wouldn't give us as good an opportunity to see the fjords, but I've seen some are there any smaller ships running a decent coastal itinerary? Lines like Costa and MSC are doing some fjord-intensive itineraries (For example, a 7-day including: Flam, Helleysylt, Geiranger, Bergen, Kristiansand, Oslo), and they costs 40% less than the Bergen-Kirkenes Hurtigruten run without meals! If we do end up doing the Hurtigruten trip, we'll probably just book the passage and an inside cabin, and we'll buy food along the way - either on the ship or in port.

So basically, what are the advantages of the Hurtigruten? Is it worth the extra cost?

Thanks for any help/advice in making this decision!

You've posed a tough question!

We (an older couple), along with sis-in-law and her hubby, took Nordnorge from Kirkenes to Bergen, and loved it. We are very content to watch the scenery go by.

There is little shipboard entertainment other than scenery and food.

A high-energy type might enjoy getting off and exploring at all the port calls, although you can't wander far, as they stop only long enough to discharge/load cargo, and then off again to the next port.

Hi all,

My father took the full coastal voyage last Spring and loved it. He went very early in the season (by himself) and they waived the single supplement, so he just paid a regular fare. Mind you, that is still fairly expensive, even that early in the season.

He's an active person and was literally getting off on each and every stop. Now, I've been all over Norway and lived there for 3/4 of a year. Most of these stops there's going to be almost nothing to do except grab a cup of coffee and look around at the local convenience store.

The scenery is beautiful of course, but I'm just not sure if this is the best deal (especially for Americans). If you look at a detailed itinerary you see that the ship only stops at a few ports for more than a couple hours. You can take a Holland America ship (for one) and spend whole days in ports like Oslo and Bergen. If you've been on regular cruises I think a lot of people will be disappointed in the food, entertainment, etc.

My father loved getting to know international people (mostly English and German). He also loved the food, which follows typical Norwegian fare (open-faced sandwiches and the like).

For the money, though, I think there are better and more affordable options. If I was going to do this cruise, I would seriously think about just doing a segment. I think you should also consider the trip first and foremost as a means of transportation and a unique experience. I think if you think of it as a "cruise" you will probably be disappointed.

I've been looking at Norwegian Coastal Voyages for years even before I'd done any cruising. I think it sounds grand, and I love the do-nothing-but-look-at-scenery kind of cruise.

Now, here's my question. DH uses a wheelchair and a walker. Would a NCV cruise be feasible for him?

Thanks.

Ilovescotland - I would recommend you talk to NCV about their facilities for wheelchairs. We think it would be OK on the ship, but we don't think any of the tours could handle it.

We were in a Cat U cabin and it was not set up for a wheelchair. We did not check out any of the suites, so don't know if they are large enough.

Good Luck.

Would have answered sooner, but just got home from a transatlantic cruise.

I did a 19 day Antarctica trip on the Nordkapp (the one that ran aground) so I can comment on the ships but not on the Norwegian voyage itself.

You go on one of those ships for the scenery, not the shipboard amenities (sp?). The cabins are comfortable but small. The only food on board is in the dining room (which on our trip was buffet for breakfast and lunch and served in a cursory fashion for dinner) and a snack bar. On our trip, they served lots of fish. I did not know that herring could be prepared in as many ways as they did. Not the level of personal service or ther choices you get on the big ships.

There is no place for entertainment except for rooms where we had lectures and neat films - don't know what you get on the Norway trip.

So, what does the ship offer considering the negatives I have just given. As I mentioned at the start - scenery. I have been to Norway and the scenery is fantastic.

So, if you can accept the negatives and will enjoy the scenery, it will be a great trip. If you are looking for a big boat experience, you will not enjoy it.

DON

[quote=PaulWN;4066304If you drink a lot of water and/or want water in your cabin at night, I recommend you sign up for the 300K bottled water the first day. We averaged 4 to 5 bottles of water a day (they were large bottles) The ship's air is very dry from the heat, so we drank a lot of water. A significant number of folks carried their water bottles to each meal. We also used ours to fill the small bottles we brought with us to drink on tours, etc.

My wife is a real water drinker. She bought one bottle of water on board and refilled it as necessary at the snack bar. Much cheaper. I just drank tap water w/o problems.

DON

• 2 weeks later...

Do we in the U.S. have an idealized view of this voyage?

I have tried to talk my family out of taking this voyage, but they insist that no trip to Norway is complete without NCV/Hurtigruten. We have limited time and are doing a port-to-port (booked through a Bergen-based tour company) going northbound from Bergen to Alesund...mostly at night...then continuing into the Geirangerfjord during the day and disembarking at the second Alesund stop at 6 pm.

This is one night on ship (total of 22 hours) for $375 USD pp dbl WITHOUT meals included in small exterior cabin. Some are continuing on to Trondheim with an 8 am arrival, again, mostly at night. Their cost is $465.00 USD pp. It does include train to/from Oslo which makes it a little more reasonable. This package was cheaper than booking directly through Hurtigruten for the voyage alone.

Having spent < $400.00 for a 5-night Celebrity Cruise with entertainment, large cabin and excellent food, this is hard for me to swallow. Dinner on board Hurtigruten is $57 USD and sounds like it will not come close to comparing with the Celebrity specialty dining available for half that price.

Incidently, the U.S. version of Hurtigruten, NCV, would not book a port-to-port for me. The NCV agent on the phone seemed disappointed that I knew about the port-to-port product and was reluctant to give me more information on how to purchase a port-to-port. He told me I would have to show up at the dock the day of departure and if there was room they would accommodate us!

Here is the alternative I would have preferred: day trips from Bergen by local boats through the Sognefjord, Hardangerfjord, or north along the coast with time to enjoy small towns like Balestrand, Rosendal, Eidfjord and Floro. This seems to be much more economical ($50-100 USD R/T) and an enjoyable way to spend boat-time in Norway.

Here are several local ferries or express boats that depart from Bergen for those with limited time and money. I hope to take the one to Balestrand (Fjord1) and the one to Rosendal ($75 Adults and $50 for Sr. USD R/T on Rodne) while we are in Bergen.

http://www.hsd.no

http://www.rodne.no

http://www.fjord1.no

There are also day trips out of Alesund into the Geirangerfjord with 2.5 hours to hike/explore the area around Geiranger (about $40 USD).

Does anyone have experience with these ferries and express boats? How do they compare to Hurtigruten related to scenry and small town experience?

I have a feeling my travel group will enjoy the day trips from Bergen more than the Hurtigruten voyage. I will report back in Sept. when we return to the States. I will try to be objective and hope I am pleasantly surprised with our NCV/Hurtigruten experience!

Archived