RCCL vs. Princess: If you have sailed both please give me your views.

jwave

I understand I am opening a big can of worms here. I am posting this on the Princess thread too. I have not sailed RCCL and am considering trying it out. I am looking at Freedom class ships. I have sailed Grand class ships on Princess (Grand and Star).

I am looking at Caribbean cruises.

I will be traveling with one child, age 11, my husband and my inlaws (both in their 60's).

Can you give me some advice. Esp. on cabin size, food quality, etc.

Thanks.

On Princess we have traveled in a mini suite, so please compare cabins to that size.

Thank you so much.

I found the mini suite on Caribbean Princess seemed much smaller than a Junior Suite on RCCL's Voyager class and Radiance class ships. Haven't been on a Freedom class yet so can't compare to that (but leaving on Freedom on 6 days!).

Overall I've found better service in general on my 7 RCCL cruises than on my 2 Carnival and 1 Princess cruise. Service on Princess was by no means bad, it's just been a little better on RCCL. That's my .02, your mileage may vary.

I find both cruiselines to be somewhat comparable. For you 11 year old he would enjoy RCL more I find Princess does not really cater to the young as much as RCL does.

Cabins: we have sailed in a mini suite on Princess and a junior suite on RCL hands down RCL cabin were larger and found to be much nicer on the Radiance class, voyager class and Freedom class.

Dining: is subjective but will give a nod to Princess on their speciality restaurants. Like the windjammer much better then the Horizon court which we felt was very cut up and confusing. I found that mass market cruiseships have taken several steps down in food quality.

We enjoyed the activities more on Princess then RCL felt Princess offered us more things we were interested in.

Entertainment a nod to RCL over Princess.

I like the voyager and Freedom class on RCL the layout of these are amazing especially with the Royal Promenade. There is also the Radiance class which are smaller and do not have the bells and whistles of the above class of ships I mentioned but they are beautiful and actually remind me somewhat of Princess.

Biggest difference we felt is the age of the passengers. RCL attracts more family oriented vacationier. Princess seems to attract a little older crowd which we fit into.

If I rate the pro and cons they are somewhat equal. I felt very comfortable on a Princess ship we also feel the same way about RCL. Of all the cruise lines out there these two lines are more similiar then difference.

I've done Disney, Princess and RCl with kids. Princess and RCL are very comparable to each other and quite good. As for what the kids would like, i find it all matters who they meet onboard and become friendly with. After all the cruises my kids said simply they wanna go on Princess again. I think thats just because they all met friends they got along with, just the luck of the draw, and people will tell you Princess is more adult oriented and that Disney is better for kids.

I've been on 2 Princess cruises and loved them both. On RCI i get a JS and on Princess we had a mini suite. I agree it is much smaller than a JS however it was a lot cheaper than a JS so I guess you could move up a category and for the same price you could get a comparable size room.

Loved the food, service and the entertainment on Princess.

We have sailed both Princess and Royal Caribbean, and have enjoyed the service & food on both. The standard balcony size rooms are larger on RCL as Princess figures the size of the room, inluding the balcony. For overall cruising we have preferred RCL. Princess I will say offers great itneraries, so for us it will come down to itnerary and price at the time we plan to cruise. I will give the nod to Princess with their Pool Games.

Have cruised on both with children.

For pricing and size a Mini suite on Princess is comparable to a D1, not a JS on RCCL.

Kids club better on Princess for my 9 and 6 year olds.

Activities in general better on RCCL (Voyager class and bigger).

There was no question when I booked our next cruise. RCCL Independence.

Hope this helps.

After 3 Princess, 3 HAL, 3 Carnival and 1 Celebrity, we tried RCL last month and were seriously impressed. Definitely more fun than Princess, newer ship, excellent food, and the best evening shows we've seen on a ship. Our 13-yr old loved it too (it's her 10th cruise or so). Reviews of all of my cruises, with extensive photos, are on my web site (below). I bet you won't be disappointed with RCL, and like us you may have a new favorite...

I have done Crown Princess and Explorer on Royal. Both very nice!

Over all I like Royal better it just seems more fun and exciting but Princess is a very close second. I would sail either one of them again without a doubt.

Royal seems to have more activities on the ship and the ships are more adventures and innovative. Younger crowd and tons of stuff to do on sea days.

Princess is more elegant, a little cheaper IMO, and has some awesome itineraries

in the southern Caribbean (which is what we did). Plus I love Movies under the stars. The crowd is a little older and not as much stuff to do on Sea Days.

We have been on the Sea Princess (oceanview), Star Princess (balcony), and Coral Princess (interior) with our two daughters (ages 7 and 10 now). We love Princess, but wanted to try something new.

We did the Independence (Junior Suite), and loved it. We now have cruise deposits with two different cruise lines! We will go on either line ... it will be a price/itinerary thing I think!

My daughters LOVED Princess, but I think they liked the Independence more because of the features (H2O zone, rock climbing, skating, Johnny Rockets, etc.). They liked the kid's programs on both cruise lines.

We are planning to do the Liberty next year because we liked the Independence so well!

I can't compare rooms since we weren't ever in a suite on Princess.

I think the food was a touch overall better on Princess, but we still really enjoyed the food on the Independence. I think it is one of those opinion things though because I am sure others would say the opposite!

My vote is for you to give RC a try on a Freedom class ship.

Have fun! It is hard trying something new when you like what you know, but I am glad we did it!

Tara

Just to add my thoughts, I think Freedom of the Seas would be the way to go.

For the adults, everything is comparable with both cruise lines but items such as the promenade, ice skating rink/show, surfing (even if it's just to watch) and nicer pools on the Freedom were big selling points for us.

As far as the kids go, the kids water area on freedom is great (actually it's pretty fun for the adults with their kids too). They also have a great basketball court, arcade, soft serve ice cream cone stations and a great mini golf course that kept my son (who is now 11 but was 7 when we went on Freedom) very well entertained.

Even though we haven't taken him on a Princess Cruise with us, he had a blast on the RCL cruises and knowing him, I know he would love to do Freedom again.

Thank you Meg. Please let me know your thoughts on Freedom of the Seas when you return.

J

Sure thing. I'll post a mini review when I get back. I can't promise I'll remember to title the thread as a comparison to Princess, so feel free to remind me about comparing the two lines if you see my post. :)

We just returned from a B2B on the Freedom, our first with Royal after 2 Princess Cruises. We travelled with our 3 Children 9, 13 and 14. They

really enjoyed it on the Freedom but my 9 year old really liked the Princess program too. When the kids sailed on Princess there was only 48 kids on board so the older 2 did'nt make any friends. The 1st weekon the Freedom there was 675 kids on board, the 2nd week almost 1400. My children did'nt like it as much the 2nd week because it was so busy and they had to wait in line for everything. I agree with other posters, somethings Royal does better and some Princess does better, for my Husband and I we would definitely pick Princess but only because we found the Freedom ship really big and the staff seemed too busy to give personal service. The pace of everything seemed really manic and crowded. We may try a smaller RCI ship sometime but I'm not sure it was worth the price as compared to the same cabin on Princess. We had a PH Suite on Princess last time and an Owners Suite on Royal but the cost was significantly higher this time without the perks that I liked on Princess (free Laundry, free Internet) We did like priority seating for the shows and the Concierge lounge so again its really about what your style is.

Just to add my thoughts' date=' I think Freedom of the Seas would be the way to go.

For the adults, everything is comparable with both cruise lines but items such as the promenade, ice skating rink/show, surfing (even if it's just to watch) and nicer pools on the Freedom were big selling points for us.

As far as the kids go, the kids water area on freedom is great (actually it's pretty fun for the adults with their kids too). They also have a great basketball court, arcade, soft serve ice cream cone stations and a great mini golf course that kept my son (who is now 11 but was 7 when we went on Freedom) very well entertained.

Even though we haven't taken him on a Princess Cruise with us, he had a blast on the RCL cruises and knowing him, I know he would love to do Freedom again.[/quote']

I have to agree with Cruzn' Fool. DW and I have cruised both Princess and RCCL (including the Freedom). For adults, I would say it is a tossup (service, meals) althought RCCL ships are much nicer IMHO. We have had Junior suites on both the Freedom and the Grand Princess and found Freedom's cabins to be superior.

For kids, I have to say RCCL wins that hands down. Princess seems to be generally geared toward an older crowd and the entertainment is a bit more sedate. RCCL with it's water park, flowriders and ice rink beats the pants off of Princess for kids (of all ages).

--------------------------

Sea ya!

Ron and Lee

Canton, Ga

Proud RCCL Platinum Member

"In wine there is wisdom, in beer there is freedom,

in water there is bacteria." – Ben Franklin

We are proud Oasis Camel Cruiser – April 17, 2010

The Oasis Camels Website

Previous Cruises – 59 Days at Sea!

Carnival Mardis Gras - 3 Day Bahamas - April 1982

Carnival Destiny - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 1998

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - April 1999

Princess Sea Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2000

Princess Grand Princess - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2002

RCCL Navigator of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - March 2003

RCCL Mariner of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - April 2005

RCCL Freedom of the Seas - 7 Days Western Carib. - 6/18 - 6/25/2006

RCCL Liberty of the Seas - 7 Days Eastern Carib. - 7/19 - 7/26/08

Planned Cruises

RCCL Oasis of the Seas – Our Friends Cruise - April 17, 2010

RCCL Allure of the Seas – Our Neighborhood Cruise - 2011

The BIG One - Southeast Asia 14 day – 2012?

Princess Cruises - The Med – 14 day – 2013?

We were on the Grand Princess December 07 and Liberty December of 08. Overall we found the food and staff slightly better/nicer on Princess, but the ships and activites on Royal Caribbean are AMAZING!!!

We've pretty much been exclusive on RCCL lately!

You will likely enjoy the Freedom class of ship very much with the family group are are traveling with.

RCCL and Princess are two of our three favorite lines. We like the loyalty program Princess better than RCCL. But often pricing on Princess is better than RCCL and their itineraries are a little better as well.

As far as cabins go, we too also think the RCCL cabins are a little bigger. But we found the beds on the newer Princess ships more comfortable. I think the service is a bit better on Princess and as far as food, they were both about the same. But Princess has much more seafood on their menus and I found more I liked on RCCL because I am not fond of seafood.

Entertainment is a bit better on the newest and largest RCCL ships with the Ice Rinks, Rock Walls and Flow Riders,

The biggest difference you may see is the age groups - s someone else said, many more families with kids on RCCL than Princess.

60 yrs old i would say go with Princess:D

Only talking adults - as a 65 year old I would still take RCCL ships over Princess. While the food and service is comparable the ships are not. Grand class Princess ships are poorly designed and overcrowded. The sq. ft per passenger on Freedom is much better than say Crown Princess - this according to a presentation done by the sailing staff during a cruise on Crown last September. Two quick examples - check out the legroom in the theater on the large Princess ships. People cannot get to empty seats in the row without everyone they pass standing up and even then it's tight. I was struck last week on Infinity with how others could enter or exit the row comfortably without anyone standing (I know technically not a RCCL ship but I found the same on Freedom). Second example - compare the narrow and slippery when wet prominade deck on the large Princess ships with the broad width and cork surface of Freedom. There are many other examples I could cite . . . . I sail Princess for their itenararies but not for the layout of their large ships (I have not sailed on their smaller ships so no opinion). Heading for Mariner OS in March and looking forward to the extra space not found on Princess. Back to the kids . . . had a great multigenerational cruise on Freedom last year and looking forward to another on Allure next January. My score = RCCL 41, Princess 3.

My six year old daughter and I (her 7th and my 12th cruise) just got off Crown Princess on Saturday so the comparison is pretty fresh. If you look at my signature, I have done mostly RCI and Celebrity cruises with a one-off Disney.

I am copying this from what I posted on the Celebrity board, as many of what I said compares to RCI:

As a travel agent, I went through many hours of online training from Princess and as such enjoyed Elite Privileges in the Captain's Circle. Very nice as far as not having to get a tender ticket.

We found Princess to be very similar to Celebrity in many respects. I personally was not a fan of Personal Choice dining (only thing available when we booked six weeks out). Photos at $24.95 for an 8X10 were high I thought.

I did the Ultimate Ship Tour for $150 which is a tour from bottom to top and stem to stern backstage. We got five group photos from various areas as well as a letter head and notepad with our name on them waiting when we returned to our stateroom as well as a big fluffy robe and chef's jacket. The tour last just under four hours and was very enjoyable to do once.

Had some food that I liked, beef consomme on the second formal night was excellent. Similar passenger mix to Celebrity in February. 317 kids on board, mostly teens as our school district and in the NE had a break this week.

Loved, loved loved Roatan. DD ziplined up at the South Shore Canopy Tour. I blogged about it most of the week.

Princess by far has better selections on the in-room television. I was also glad to see they are still doing the "If I were not Aboard the Sea" crew skit late night.

In addition to a coke sticker, they offer an Ultimate sticker which includes unlimited milk shakes (real ice cream), canned root beer (BaRQs yum), fruit juices and virgin mocktails like daquiris). Pizza was far better of any cruise I have taken.

Princess still has a separate Captain's Circle Host(ess) position and a Future Cruise Sales position. I think this was a mistake to have these as combined positions.

I will say I prefer the open dining rooms on RCI, but would cruise Princess again for the itinerary any day of the week.

Wife and I have sailed both and enjoyed both. You can see my journals and reviews of both in my signature.

WE sail in comparable balcony cabins wherever we go. Princess balconies feel larger, while RCI cabins are a tiny bit better. If you care, the RCI bathroom is palatial compared to Princess.

MDR food and service is a slight edge to Princess BUT the Windjammer is on a different (and better) planet from the 14th deck wreck on Princess. Mid rats (late night food) are WAY better on RCI (although Carnival tops both on this one issue).

Crowd control is somewhat better on RCI although this may be a function of the ports. Boarding and paperwork is WAY better on RCI.

We don't have kids anymore so I can't help you there.

All in all, these ships are more similar than different. It probably comes down to the specific trip/weather etc.

Archived