Questions for Bermuda experts

JenAndDan

We will be in Bermuda late April for 5 days (Weds-Sun) staying at Elbow Beach. We have 2 full days and 2 half days free to do stuff as we are going there for a wedding (well DH and DS will have a little more free time as I am IN the wedding). My son will be 1yr so we are not planning too much. The things we want to do are the aquarium/zoo and the caves (if people think it's appropriate for a 1yr old) and a visit to the swizzle inn. My questions are:

-How big is the aquarium/zoo - is this something that will be done in an hour or can we/should we allot more time? My DS LOVES aquariums and we've been to some small ones (were there for an hour) and a big one (NJ Aquarium - which he loooooved) - we only left there after a few hours because DS was beat.

-what about the caves? is this something a 1yr old can enjoy? if so, how much time should be allotted?

-where is the aquarium/zoo in relation to the caves and the swizzle inn? I am thinking of combining one of the two activities with a meal at the swizzle inn. Which would be better to do?

-I've been told we should stick with the buses since we have a toddler. Does anyone know if the buses go by the Elbow Beach Resort? How much are buses?

-Are there any other restaurants people would recommend for us to try with a 1yr old? The Elbow Beach has downsized and I know the open restaurants are pretty expensive. Obviously, looking for something casual enough for son, but food is good enough that we will enjoy (note - we are not seafood eaters).

Any help you guys can be would be great! I always find this board so helpful!!!!

The Bermuda Aquarium and Zoo is nice. One hour sounds a bit short. I'd allow 1.5 to 2 hours for a tour there.

I don't think a 1 year old would enjoy the caves. Nor would an adult enjoy carrying a toddler down and back up the steep stairs...

The aquarium/zoo is about 15 minutes from the Swizzle Inn and caves, so yes, you could easily combine those activities.

The buses do go by Elbow Beach. Most tourists buy a one, two or three day pass for unlimited bus transportation.

:)I do not recommend Elbow Beach with a child. The next beach (by bus) is Horse Shoe Bay. There are bathrooms, food, drinks, chairs, etc. It is the most beautiful place. The bus passes are $12.00 for one day. They take you all over the Island. (unlimited) Elbow beach, although beautiful also, does not supply anything. You can purchase the passes on board (get them the day before you port) or as soon as you get off the ship. You can use any ferry or any bus. You cannot get lost. The bus driver will tell you exactly what you need to know. Have a GREAT time. We are headed back to Bermuda 6/6. CANNOT WAIT.

Paul - thanks so much. We can allot a whole day to the aquarium/zoo/swizzle inn (if we don't use up the whole day, we can relax at the hotel) - I just didn't want to "plan" a whole day and find out we only needed an hour. Thanks for the heads up about the caves...is there something else you think he would enjoy that we can do another day?

Champagne123 - we are STAYING at the elbow beach resort for 5 days, so I am sure we can use their facilities:) We do plan on going to Horseshoe Bay if the weather is good. I was trying to find things to do in case it is not really beach weather since we'll be there in April.

Paul - thanks so much. We can allot a whole day to the aquarium/zoo/swizzle inn (if we don't use up the whole day, we can relax at the hotel) - I just didn't want to "plan" a whole day and find out we only needed an hour. Thanks for the heads up about the caves...is there something else you think he would enjoy that we can do another day?

Champagne123 - we are STAYING at the elbow beach resort for 5 days, so I am sure we can use their facilities:) We do plan on going to Horseshoe Bay if the weather is good. I was trying to find things to do in case it is not really beach weather since we'll be there in April.

SORRY. I was just trying to help. Thought you were on a cruise. You did not say you were staying in the Hotel on Elbow Beach for five days. Next time I will mind my own business.

We will be in Bermuda late April for 5 days (Weds-Sun) staying at Elbow Beach. We have 2 full days and 2 half days free to do stuff as we are going there for a wedding (well DH and DS will have a little more free time as I am IN the wedding). My son will be 1yr so we are not planning too much. The things we want to do are the aquarium/zoo and the caves (if people think it's appropriate for a 1yr old) and a visit to the swizzle inn. My questions are:

!

SORRY. I was just trying to help. Thought you were on a cruise. You did not say you were staying in the Hotel on Elbow Beach for five days. Next time I will mind my own business.

Yes, she said staying at the Elbow Beach in her OP. No reason to be snippy or rude. You made a mistake. No reason to blame the OP. She put a :) in her post.

You assumed she was taking a cruise since this is a cruise forum.

Champagne123 - I wasn't trying to be mean! I realize most people who come on this board are on a cruise. I just thought, since this board has been so helpful to me in the past, I could use it for my upcoming Bermuda land based trip as well.

I really do appreciate everyone's help!

Another pink-sand beach (and pretty unknown) you can try is John Smith's Bay on the south shore. This would be great with small kids because the bus stop is literally only steps from the sand on flat ground. There are no food facilities or lifeguards, but there is a bathroom/changing room, as well as trees for shade and a bunch of cool rocky outcroppings and stuff to explore. (The bathroom was a little icky when we were there, though.)

If you hate it, you can be on the next bus in minutes, which is something I liked about the place.

I recommend this one only because, while Horseshoe Bay is gorgeous, it's quite a long walk for a little kid from bus stop all the way down the big hill, around the corner, and then down the beach to find a spot. I imagine it'll be much less crowded in April than in summer, when I was there, but I know how cranky kids can get! :) Plus, this bus stop is always very busy and usually full, which can be stressful for a family trying to get everyone on board.

My motto is to make everything as easy and stress-free as possible!

Hi there. My dh and I went to the zoo and aquarium and I love it. It is inexpensive and a great way to spend a couple of hours. I think it is 1 price to go in both. The aquarium has some very cool fish and you can walk around the zoo at your sons pace. He will love it. The caves no....it was a challenge just for some adults and he probably wouldn't know what he was seeing. It's not cheap. My dh and I went in 1 of them and it was cool, but don't need to go again.:D Have fun.

Champagne123 - I wasn't trying to be mean! I realize most people who come on this board are on a cruise. I just thought, since this board has been so helpful to me in the past, I could use it for my upcoming Bermuda land based trip as well.

I really do appreciate everyone's help!

:)It's okay....I must have read your letter too fast and did not realize you were not on a cruise. You are the first letter I have read that you weren't. Sooo sorry.:) I hope you and your family have a wonderful time. We love love love Bermuda and cannot wait to return in June!!!!:)

Archived