What is the website for Olympics merchandise?

Just a note to say that the mittens seem to be hit and miss, but my friend found some at the local Zellers store, whose parent company is HBC. If you can't find at the Bay or online, try a Zellers store.

And Fields in small Canadian towns. Also, although it's hit and miss, the suburban Bay stores have quite a bit of clothing still.

Viv

"although it's hit and miss, the suburban Bay stores have quite a bit of clothing still."

Suspect that it will start to mysteriously disappear in the next couple of days and mysteriously reappear at the downtown store - the feeding frenzy there is insane with block long lineups at 9:AM and despite the store being opened 24/7 through the end of the Games.

Sally - have you had a chance to get downtown and take in the action?

Cheers

Dennis

I've been down 5 times so far! Just hopped that #44 bus and even had a seat the whole way. I haven't gone into any of the "houses," just walked around. It must be amazing to live downtown, but perhaps a bit noisy. As far as traffic, my morning commute has been 10 minutes shorter due to lighter traffic. I work out in the Valley.

Also have taken in 8 events. Today was my last-- speed skating and we got a bronze. I think we'll hit downtown again on the weekend. We also have Paralympic tickets and I sure hope people keep up the support for the athletes.

Oh,and to keep this on-topic, someone told me at work today that all the Bay stores across Canada are shipping extra merch to d/t Vancouver and suburbs.

Viv

I got lucky today and got a couple of freebies to watch the playoff curling game between Great Britain and Sweden and it went an extra end before Sweden beat the defending champs 7 - 6 with a spectacular final shot.

I am just far enough away from the action that the noise is not bad but heck I am retired - so what if I don't get to bed until the wee hours!!!

Are your Paralympic tickets for Vancouver or Whistler events - if the latter and you see the Slovak delegation you might just see me in my blue uniform as I will be assisting that delegation throughout there stay at the Games in Whistler.

I was having supper at a pizza joint on Granville when the final whistle sounded for the hockey game - a noisy street got a lot louder very fast and then to make things even more chaotic Canada has to win 2 medals in Bobsleigh and one in long track relay which was beamed to everyone on the side of the Sears building and more boisterous O Canada began to be sung.

Cheers

Dennis

Hello Vancouverites! I've been glued to my tv from morning to night for the past 13 days - one of the pluses of being unemployed at the moment!!! Vancouver is doing a fantastic job (high praise from a Calgary Olympic volunteer!!!) hope the good times continue right to the end of the games. Let me rephrase that - hope the good times continue right through to the end of the Para Olympics!!! I'm glad to see that you guys have let your hair down and are having fun, it's a feeling that you can't explain just experience!

I went on the site and I guess they are out of the mittens. I went on ebay and the costs are so high. What do these mittens actually cost in the Canadian stores and are they still available? I am in the US and would like a pair but it seems that will not be happening.

They are $10.00 Canadian + tax - when first introduced the Bay thought they would sell one million pair and made a bold commitment to donate $4.00 from each pair sold to help fund Canadian athletes at the Game - sales are now 3 million pairs and there no more coming into stock - they come in three sizes - kids - adult small/medium and adult large -xlarge - there is little left but some kids sizes here in downtown Vancouver and the Bay/Zellers stores are starting to ship the remainder stock to Vancouver for the final buying frenzy this weekend.

The mittens are not licensed for sale in the US so that is why they are not readily available in the US - if you know someone in a Canadian city perhaps they could check to see what's available and ship them to you.

I did help another gentlemen with some merchandise but I am unable to help anyone else because I am preparing to leave for the Paralympics in Whistler in a few days and need to tie up loose ends like renewing car insurance etc to stand in line to get the items.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Dennis

Cruiseyyc - thanks for the kind words - yes we Vancouverites and let's give a little credit to the government for some of the non Games events helping to turn the downtown core into one big happy safe and family oriented party zone - never seen so many kids with smiling faces decked out in Red and White or the colors of there favourite country at one time in the core - also credit to the volunteers - Olympic blue jackets or otherwise who are the unsung heroes in making our visitors and citizens alike - one thing that I have encountered is how many people who live and work in the suburbs don't know there way around downtown Vancouver and are amazed at the changes that have taken place - to the Police and security forces who while we may not like the cost of that endeavor seems to be quite approachable and are allowing themselves to smile and have there picture taken - Tuesday on Granville a couple of people had a skipping rope contest going and got two of Vancouver's finest to try and do a two person skip and after one false start get into a prefect tandem to a huge roar from the crowd - I commented that they were fairly young so probably still in shape to do such things and yes even a brief note about the more responsible protesters who have behaved okay although the same idiots who caused the one incident are now trying to stir up the masses for one last kick of the can on closing ceremonies Sunday.

While I will be cheering for Canada in the hockey game I have a soft spot for the Slovakia as it is the paternal homeland and also the team that I will be assisting their Paralympic team.

Off to do some last minute items regarding the volunteer assignment.

Cheers

Dennis

As I understand it for that to happen the Canadian Olympic Committee who are the owner of the trademarks would have to work out some sort of licensing agreement with the US Olympic Committee for them to be sold in the US - why not try phoning a Bay or Zellers store in Canada and see if they have any and if there is a way that they can be shipped to the US - for the person who I got the merchandise for he had an Fedex account so I just used it and two days later he had his merchandise and I had my money through Pay Pal.

Cheers

Dennis

Yes those mittens are becoming an international attention getter - a large number of international media are commenting about them and when Oprah endorses something it usually means a real boost in sales - what I find great about the gloves is how warm they seem to be - this has been a mild winter so other than wearing them for show they haven't gotten a taste of real winter weather.

Also be aware that there are fake red mittens being sold on the internet - they look like the real thing but the color is slightly off and the wording is not quite the same.

The real ones should have a large maple leaf in white on the palm and the words Vancouver 2010 and the Olympic rings on the outside of the glove - click on the attachment to see a photo of the real thing.

I suspect Zeller's is being cautious and not wanting to commit to have anything to ship because of the frenzied local demand.

Cheers and enjoy the rest of the Games and GO CANADA GO AND GO TEAMS GO !!!

Dennis

1728894331_OlympicmittsNovember262009002.jpg.1818ae940199252aca7bb513d7f43537.jpg

I could be wrong and it won't be the first time BUT - I BELIEVE - now where have we heard those two words before - that the gloves are only being sold at Bay/Zellers stores while some of the other official merchandise is available at other outlets. Apparently the Zeller's in Lynn Valley still has the kids size gloves available at least as of yesterday afternoon.

More than a little hoarse and hung over from all the Olympic stuff yesterday - an interesting situation is developing regarding who is actually winning the Games - according to the Press and we know they are always right - it is the Americans, then the Germans, then us Canadians in the actual medal count BUT the IOC the body that everyone loves to hate considers the country with the MOST GOLD MEDALS to be the winner - and right now that country is Canada - the true north strong and free.

A little patriotism from me this morning as the eggs are a little more than scrambled after a night of celebrating and we have two days to go.

Oh I just had a brain fart - this is a cruising forum isn't it.

Cheers and GO CANADA GO !!!

Dennis

Archived