Insurance question and honest opinions please

Ilikeboats

Well, our cruise is set for next Saturday March 6th on the Oasis. Last night my 29 year old son severely broke his ankle and has to have surgery for plates and pins next Tuesday, 4 days before our cruise. He is neither married or has a gf. He is staying at our house. My other son said he would stay with him the weekend, but he would be on his own Monday-Saturday, though family and friends can look in on him. He also has a dog that would need to be tended to. I am selfish for still wanting to go and will I be able to really enjoy myself? I'm torn. Of course, I realize that he is an adult, but anyone who has had surgery with crutches can tell you, it isn't easy as you are helpless really. Our son wants us to continue with our plans. I think I understood reading the cruise insurance that I got through RC that is there is an injury in my immediate family I can get a full refund or take the cruise at a later date? Thanks for listening.

Ugh, tough call. Having your other son staying with him right after the surgery is great but that is a long time he is going to be on his own and then to add the dog, that makes it harder. I think I would have to stay home to make sure he was able to eat, shower etc. Whatever you decide, I hope his surgery goes well.:)

Have you checked with your insurance company to see if it is covered for certain? You are probably better working from facts before making a decision.

My mother broke both ankles a couple of years ago. One, like your son, needed the surgery for pins and plate. The other was a simple break. She remained hospitalized prior to the surgery but the surgery was delayed several times from the original scheduled date. Once she had the surgery she was immediately transferred to a rehab center. She had the second ankle involved and was bed ridden so the situation is not exactly the same. She did not want anyone making a fuss over her but frankly there were things she was not able to take care of herself. In the days leading up to the surgery she was feeling very strong and independent. The first few days after the surgery not so much... I really cannot see your son on his own immediately after surgery. If the surgery is on Tuesday before your cruise, you leave Saturday and your other son stays with him over the weekend he has almost a week of recovery before being alone. He will be stronger but it still seems like it would be hard for him. If he falls what will he do? Will he have a panic button to push? Will there be anyone who will check on him periodically throughout the day? Of course he is going to tell you to go. If you have insurance coverage and no one to help during those 5 days I would be looking to reschedule the trip. JMO. Hope it all works out for all of you.

Well, our cruise is set for next Saturday March 6th on the Oasis. Last night my 29 year old son severely broke his ankle and has to have surgery for plates and pins next Tuesday, 4 days before our cruise. He is neither married or has a gf. He is staying at our house. My other son said he would stay with him the weekend, but he would be on his own Monday-Saturday, though family and friends can look in on him. He also has a dog that would need to be tended to. I am selfish for still wanting to go and will I be able to really enjoy myself? I'm torn. Of course, I realize that he is an adult, but anyone who has had surgery with crutches can tell you, it isn't easy as you are helpless really. Our son wants us to continue with our plans. I think I understood reading the cruise insurance that I got through RC that is there is an injury in my immediate family I can get a full refund or take the cruise at a later date? Thanks for listening.

I fractured my ankle 11-30 and am sailing 2-27-10. It takes awhile if you cannot find someone to stay with him you might want to put it off for a few weeks. No guilt and you can still go. The good news is you have the insurance. So good luck. Best of both worlds find someone and go !!!

Will his medical insurance allow for a visiting nurse to come in while you are away. At least you would know he was seen to medically.

I don't know if he will be able to cook and take care of himself on his own. Is there any friends or family that could stay even for a night, they could take turns. Very hard decision, it doesn't matter how old they are they are always are babies.

Have you checked with your insurance company to see if it is covered for certain? You are probably better working from facts before making a decision.

This is exactly what I would advise. It depends on your policy and how serious the injury is. Only your insurance company can tell you if you would be covered if you cancel.

I hope your son will be feeling better soon! I have never had to use the insurance (luckily!) but have worked in insurance for several years. You should contact them and ask if this is covered since that may change your plans. If he does stay home you could arrange for a dog sitter to help with the dog..

Good luck!

So is something like this covered under the RC insurance which is what I purchased? Does anyone know. Thanks

the policy is detailed right on the RCCL site. For some reason it will not come up for me. Go to RCCL.com put vacation protection in the search and then choose the top one. About half way down the page their is a highlighted "details" click on that for the policy.

I am 99.9% sure this is a covered reason, but you should read the policy and talk directly to RCCL in the morning.

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/allaboutcruising/vacationProtectionPlan.do;jsessionid=00002EIECBd37W52_mtLGofj6f7:10ktdmqkf?cS=NAVBAR

Hope this link works to their insurance policy. Even if it is not covered, you will still get 75% of your non-refundable pre-paid cruise fare back.

With the CruiseCare Cancellation Penalty Waiver, if your plans go awry and you cancel - or interrupt - your cruise vacation (for specified reasons), Royal Caribbean and Celebrity Cruises will waive the non-refundable cancellation provision of your cruise ticket contract and pay you IN CASH the value of the unused portion of your prepaid cruise vacation.

In addition, should you or your traveling companion need to cancel for "any other reason", you may be eligible for CRUISE CREDITS - up to 75% of the non-refundable, prepaid cruise vacation cost.

Best thing to do is to call them up and ask.;)

Ask the hospital to recommend a home nursing agency nearby and see what they would charge for a couple of home health aid visits a day. If he normally lives alone and would otherwise be in a hospital or SNF (skilled nursing facility) were he not to go hang with mom and dad...it's reasonable to ask the case manager at the health insurance plan if some form of home nursing and home health aid services can be provided for him. He will likely have some costs but it keeps him from being a full time burden on friends, family, etc...

Hope his surgery goes well and it works out that he has care and y'all have your cruise.

Archived