Sick ship.

irishjim

Just saw this on the Canadian news,326 passengers and 27 crew sick on board the Celebrity Mercury. Had upset tummys and vomiting plus the other end spent on the toilet.Sounds like NORO? BUT THEY DO NOT KNOW THE CAUSE AS YET.Cant be a very happy time on board right now,hope they get well soon.:eek:

Just saw this on the Canadian news,326 passengers and 27 crew sick on board the Celebrity Mercury. Had upset tummys and vomiting plus the other end spent on the toilet.Sounds like NORO? BUT THEY DO NOT KNOW THE CAUSE AS YET.Cant be a very happy time on board right now,hope they get well soon.:eek:

Here is a link:

http://www.canoe.ca/Travel/News/2010/02/23/12992711-ap.html

We just got off the 2/13 Celebrity Summit cruise - our first in years after sailing with HAL. One of our party got sick the 2nd day. At the medical facility they gave him some medicine,told him it was a 24 hr virus and he would be quarantined until 7 am the next day. The next day he was no better - went back. They gave him more medicine and the nurse said she had more than 20 people in the last hour. I don't know the number of people sick, but it had to be many - it seemed like everyone had at least one person of their party sick. After that first day there was no self service anywhere - buffet, drink machines, condiments, no bread basket at dinner or salt & pepper. The crew had all leave cancelled and they were sanitizing every inch of the ship. There were crew with sanitizer squirting everyone entering any of the dining areas and leaving or entering the ship. When we left boarding was delayed several hours - they said it was a problem with the ramp, but I have to wonder if they had the same problem on the previous cruise and were doing extra cleaning.

I just went over to the Celebrity boards and it sounds like 3 Celebrity ships have this. It sounds bad even though things like this sometimes get blown way up in the news.

I do feel bad for people that get this on their vacation though after all the planning, packing, saving, waiting you so just want to go and have a good time and not deal with this. But it does happen. We've gotten some illnesses in Mexico but nothing that lasted more than a day or two.

This is the Holland America board, but since you are on the subject of Celebrity having a sick cruise, the Celebrity Millennium also had a problem on their cruise last week. Tough week for Celebrity! :(

I know this is the HAL board,your point being what?:(

I just read ABC news online and "Cruise Critic Forum" is quoted several times in the article regarding their opinion on how to avoid the norovirus and other cruise trivia. Some reporter either interviewed a few people from the boards or the ABC reporter was lurking to gather info.:cool:

Why post about X having the Noro virus??

In the past number of months people here have been asking why so many HAL ships have the Noro virus on them.

Well I think the OP posted this on the HAL to point out it just isn't HAL that has this problem.

Thank you Krazy Kruizers,that was my point,but it was also to all the HAL cruisers that also sail on Celeb. BTW the Millie also had NORO on board.

Jim.;)

I'm interested in any major story regarding cruising... no matter what cruise line. I'm a HAL person so I don't visit the other boards. I hope to see those issues discussed here because we are all cruisers first and foremost. For someone to point out that it was HAL felt a little like an needless finger pointing. I'm seeing that more often on here and it disappointments me.

I'm interested in any major story regarding cruising... no matter what cruise line. I'm a HAL person so I don't visit the other boards. I hope to see those issues discussed here because we are all cruisers first and foremost. For someone to point out that it was HAL felt a little like an needless finger pointing. I'm seeing that more often on here and it disappointments me.

Me too!:eek:

No harm done.

Thanks, Irishjim. I'm glad to have the information and I really feel sorry for the folks on the Mercury. That has to be a difficult situation for everyone, especially the crew.

We've been cruising since the mid 1960's and have never encountered Norovirus on board any ship. I think we have been very fortunate.

I guess that getting Noro .Flu or any other virus is par for the course with winter cruising.The way the weather has been even in Florida many people young and old have been ill.I work at a school and the amt of staff and students out sick on any given day is about the same percentage as on that cruise.

Last time X had it on Mercury in 2006, it took them 3 cruises to get it cleared up...

...they were spraying bleach left and right - and still couldn't clear up the mess.

I was on the following cruise - the crew were surly and the place was a dump.

Got off on the 2nd day of that 11 day cruise and came home: Woke up from a nap and ended up having Noro.

Yeah, great ship.

I know this is the HAL board,your point being what?:(

You misunderstood what I was posting. ;) I wanted to point out that the Millennium also was having trouble, and since you had already posted about the Mercury, I was adding the info about the Millie - even though this was the HAL board and not the Celebrity board. Maybe I worded it wrong.

Boy, I guess I dodged the bullet while visiting my parents in SC last weekend. Scary stuff and hope the Noro stays away from them. :( We looked at the Mercury for our upcoming cruise because it is so much closer to us and no flying. Glad we decided on the Eurodam.

Last time X had it on Mercury in 2006, it took them 3 cruises to get it cleared up...

...they were spraying bleach left and right - and still couldn't clear up the mess.

I was on the following cruise - the crew were surly and the place was a dump.

Got off on the 2nd day of that 11 day cruise and came home: Woke up from a nap and ended up having Noro.

Yeah, great ship.

I had just started with HAL at the time and remember the 3 weeks in a row, all the helicopters and news crews around Pier 66. This was also right around the time the Captain was found over the legal limit set for maritime purposes and toward the end of that Alaska season there was sewage from the same ship that was found dumped within the waters of Washington state.

That ship made me wonder in my first few weeks what exactly I was getting myself into. But it all worked out alright. :)

I guess that getting Noro .Flu or any other virus is par for the course with winter cruising.The way the weather has been even in Florida many people young and old have been ill.I work at a school and the amt of staff and students out sick on any given day is about the same percentage as on that cruise.

We have been on cruises in Alaska in the summer with the Noro. And Hawaii in late spring. And a repositioning cruise the first of Oct with the Noro.

It can happen any time of the year.

This can happen on any ship as there was a small outbreak last week on Azamara Quest. This was in Southeast Asia. 9 people including 4 crew were sick. The salt and pepper shakers came off the tables and you needed to be served in the buffet. 4 of the 5 passengers were Suite or PH guests who told me on Friday that their Angkor Wat excursion was cancelled and they were surprised that Azamara gave them back their money ($1,600.00pp) without going through their insurance. They were released in time to go to the Captains dinner last week (which we attended) and was for the 20 Suite and Penthouse guests.

You misunderstood what I was posting. ;) I wanted to point out that the Millennium also was having trouble, and since you had already posted about the Mercury, I was adding the info about the Millie - even though this was the HAL board and not the Celebrity board. Maybe I worded it wrong.

Boy, I guess I dodged the bullet while visiting my parents in SC last weekend. Scary stuff and hope the Noro stays away from them. :( We looked at the Mercury for our upcoming cruise because it is so much closer to us and no flying. Glad we decided on the Eurodam.

No problem, like you said I misunderstood.BTW have a great cruise:D

Archived