Newbie question...

seacloss

Hello all,

Just starting to plan our first cruise in October. We can't wait.

But one question, how is cellular reception out at sea? I have an Iphone and 3 infant children (yes triplets) and we need to know we can stay in touch with if there is an emergency at home.

Thanks!

Using your cellphone at sea can be quite expensive. Be sure to check with your carrier about rates. Also, you can check into purchasing some internet minutes on the ship and can check back at home via email. (There are computers that you can use on the ship.) Sometimes that is a cheaper option.

You can also look into calling cards and call home from the ports.

Enjoy your first cruise!

The cell reception seemed fine, but since I didn't use it on board I can't tell you about the quality of the calls. Our first cruise we left our baby at home and I was concerned like you are, but didn't want to spend the 2.50 a minute that you have to pay to call from on board. So, we communicated via email on the fun days at sea and we got the ATT international plan (call 916-843-4685, this is the number I have on file, hopefully it is the same) and called from port for a lot less. (I think 49 cents a minute, maybe less). Whatever you do, don't call from the phone in your room unless someone is dying because it is near 10 dollars a minute.

It varies from carrier to carrier.

We have T-Mobile. We just called them and they said international rates are $1.49/minute. Then called Carnival and asked if there is another charge on top of that. The towers they use (or something like that; I don't know my cell phone lingo :o ) are from AT&T. So if you don't have AT&T, the rate is an additional $4.99/minute. :eek:

Phone calls from the cabin are $9.99/minute.

We're leaving young kids at home too and we're going to opt for using e-mail on sea days to check in at home. I can't remember the pricing on that, but it seemed very reasonable, especially for just a quick "everything is fine at home, go back to the pool now and have another drink". :D

We'll probably use our cells for a QUICK call when in port.

Hope that helps.

We cruised 2 years ago on the Fascination and we have Nextel. As soon as we got out of site of Miami, we didn't have any cell service at all. We called our daughters in the morning and evening every day (3 day cruise) from our room and i thought it was only $2.99/minute. you could always call Carnival and get the exact amount it is to call from your room, as i see different amounts on here. When we sailed in 2003, it was 9.99/minute.

Now that they are 3 and 6, they are sailing with us on their 1st cruise in May on the Destiny, won't have any need to call anyone :)

With triplets, I'm sure you will enjoy your little break! happy cruising!

Jolene

Hello all,

But one question, how is cellular reception out at sea? I have an Iphone and 3 infant children (yes triplets) and we need to know we can stay in touch with if there is an emergency at home.

Thanks!

my question is who did u find to watch triplets while u cruised;) 3 babies oy, talk about needing a vacation:cool:

Iphone = AT&T? we have family responsibilities too & must call home everyday to keep everybody happy.

Make sure you have enabled international roaming.

Go to your carrier's website & search for the at-sea rates. depending on the country (ex mexico) u can get pkg for a month for cheaper rates on calls made in port. You can discontinue it once you're home & sure all the calls have posted to your bill, there is some lag...i've had up to 2 weeks for everything to appear.

Before placing calls in port, check to see what carrier is shown on ur phone to verify u r on the local system. u may have to power ur phone off/on to get off the ship's signal. nassau - ive never gotten a signal there:confused:they like to push their prepaid phone calls.

btw, w/iphone u'll have 'net/text, etc; its tricky to avoid the texts u don't want running up the bill. If anybody has figured out a way to pick & choose what gets thru when the phone is powered up onboard i'd luv to know. I tend to take one of our older 4G phones that i don't use for texting to avoid charges. i don't let my teen turn his on from the teen we leave port until we get back...hard to believe how many text messages kids can burn thru;) You may want to look into the internet pkgs they sell onboard, assume they'd be compatible w/iphone

It depends on who your carrier is. At&t works quite well out to sea. You will need to check with your carrier on what they charge.

AT&T works quite well at sea? Then why can't they get it to work in the 12th biggest city in the US? Indianapolis :mad:

Hello all,

Thanks!

Honestly I have no info regarding calling from the ship...

As far as Triplets...WOW...........How exciting....I bet they are precious....

How old will they be when you cruise....

Things can get expensive fairly quickly with an i-Phone, especially if you leave the data roaming enabled.

In a real emergency who ever is looking after your children can call the ship and if you are not in your stateroom staff will actually track you down. I've had this happen to me.

If you really need daily contact then the email option is good. If the kids are old enough to talk on the phone you could arrange to call at a particular time. That way you can leave your cell phone turned off.

Internet and international phone calls are generally much less expensive in the ports. In the Caribbean high-speed internet is $2 - $4 for 20 minutes. I've only bought a calling card in Costa Rica, $5 for 20 minutes. I suspect rates are similar elsewhere. Also, in Grand Cayman I know that there are stores which offer free internet and international calling to customers.

No news is GOOD news...if there's something truly that you HAVE to know, you can be contacted by those at home. Its not necessary to call home everyday and see if everything is ok...it will be! They will call you if blood, stitches, fire or casts are involved. Otherwise, they'll handle it!

Hello all,

Thanks!

Cell phone tend to roam exp: wrong time calls random people...

Most ports have cell reception but sea days sometimes.Also it cost extra money to text:rolleyes:

If we're in port but on the ship (say docked in Cozumel) would I be using Verizon's international service and paying that rate or paying that plus the additional rate for the Carnival "towers"?

OP - hope you don't mind my adding to your questions about this. I'll also be travelling without my young daughter for the first time...

Thanks everyone!

I just checked with AT&T (my service provider). They have set up a special link for pricing just for cruises. Pretty cool. Looks like its $2.49 a minute and a $5.99 per month rate. Not bad if I need to reach someone in an emergency.

I am not too worried about text as I don't do it. But I do use the phone for email quite a bit. I guess I will have to just sacrifice that little aspect :p.

Only 253 more days.... is it too soon to pack?

If we're in port but on the ship (say docked in Cozumel) would I be using Verizon's international service and paying that rate or paying that plus the additional rate for the Carnival "towers"?

OP - hope you don't mind my adding to your questions about this. I'll also be travelling without my young daughter for the first time...

with cingular/at&t i've only paid per call for 1 or the other, not both

problem is the ships don't always turn them off when docked & you have to walk a bit away from the ship in port to pick up another signal.

We have Verizon and find keeping in touch with text messaging is the way to go. I think it cost .25 cents per message. It was a great way to just get a "things here are good" type of message. I don't believe there was a charge for turning on our phone at sea..(on my last trip, my phone was on the entire time, but since I didn't make or receive any calls there was no charge).. You can also send/check email and leave the emergency number on the ship if there is a true emergency. God Bless the person who stepped up to watch your babies! I have 3 older ones and feel like it's a lot!

I'm thinking that a cruise might not be the best vacation for someone who has to talk to the "world" everyday. If there was an emergency you really would have a heck of a time getting home. I know you think you need to stay in touch, but what is it that you are staying in touch with. If it's so great you can't leave it alone, then don't leave it. IMHO a vacation is to get away from the "what is", and move on to the "what is that?"

I'm thinking that a cruise might not be the best vacation for someone who has to talk to the "world" everyday. If there was an emergency you really would have a heck of a time getting home. I know you think you need to stay in touch, but what is it that you are staying in touch with. If it's so great you can't leave it alone, then don't leave it. IMHO a vacation is to get away from the "what is", and move on to the "what is that?"

I wish we could just drop it all off at the docks, unfortunately we have 3 (what will be 20 month old) babies with breathing problems. One of the grandmothers and an aunt were gracious enough to allow us this little escape as it will be our first in nearly 5 years.

If it comes to pass that we need to get home due to an emergency, it WILL happen.

Thanks for your input though.

We turned ours off the entire time, but our room did have a phone and we could call out on it if we wanted (in case of an emergency). I know that our family could call us on the ship if needed too. - $$$$

Your phone will work, but at a high cost.

I would high recommend disabling data services for the duration of the cruise. Call ATT, they will explain how to do this.

Archived