Princess Grill: Worth the extra expense?

Debbers

Please forgive a Cunard newcomer if this is a silly question. Is Princess Grill accommodation on the QV worth the additional cost compared to a verandah? Is the service much better? More important, is the food a good deal better? We are not titans of industry or celebrities (though we are witty and charming tablemates ;))--will we fit in among the Princess Grill passengers? Thanks very much!

Hi

We have only travelled Britannia on QV but have travelled Princess grill on QM2.

We like the idea of dinning between 1830 and 2100 it allows you to choose when you have dinner and to choose to go to the early or late show.

You do get a couple of extra choices on the menu and you can have that day’s menu as room service.

There are other benefits but that's the main reason we have booked it again.

Terry & Debbie

And of course, you have a signifcantly larger cabin with a handful of nicer ammenities.

As far as the food goes, I don't think its actually that much better or even different than what's served in the Britannia restuarant, but there are certainly more choices, easier to order off menu, and if you like table-side prepartion and slightly more formal and attentive service, it makes for a lovely eveing.

We have booked QG for the last three TAs, and I think overall the determining factor for us is the size of the accomodation, with the Grill exerperience (while lovely) a secondary consideration.

I would agree with the previous writer as well. The cabins are beautiful and spacious, and like a larger room in a hotel, that's probably what you're actually paying for when you book PG or QG.

Also, on my past two TAs (in QG), we felt completely at home in the restaurant. And the same experience again on a recent QV QG voyage.

Please forgive a Cunard newcomer if this is a silly question. Is Princess Grill accommodation on the QV worth the additional cost compared to a verandah? Is the service much better? More important, is the food a good deal better? We are not titans of industry or celebrities (though we are witty and charming tablemates ;))--will we fit in among the Princess Grill passengers? Thanks very much!

On the QV, the Grills are located on 11 deck with the lovely Grills Lounge and the open air courtyard between them. They are great locations. The food choices in the Grills are a bit wider selection than in the Brittania.

But to me the real appeal is dining when I want to not on a rigid schedule. And there is a sense of more open space in the Grills as well.

The Princess Grill suite is a big bigger than the usual balcony rooms, and that makes a pleasant difference as well.

I book Queens Grill accomodation, even though its a bit more than other choices because I just like the experience. To me a cruise should be something special, and the Grills experience allways make it feel special to me.

Best Mike

My wife and I, veterans of months of voyages on QM2 and a month on QV feel strongly that on QV the Grills are a world apart and well-worth the extra cost. On QM2, in contrast, though we certainly prefer the Grills, there is, on QM2, little sense of the superior ambiance which the Grills Lounge, restaurants and Upper Grills Terrace offer on QV. And if you are going to spring for Princess, you may as well go all the way to Queens!

Not so much of a difference in my experience. On QM2 the actual dinning rooms are quite similar, and you can always ask for "caviar". In theory the QG has thebest wait staff, but the people in PG are wonderful. Again, just my perspective, the main differnce is in the accomodation. I have wonderful dining in both rooms, and would rate the dining experience overall as about equal. Curious what others think.

What are the main differences in the dining experience between PG and QG?

Rolfe. If it was one word it would be caviar, but its a bit more than one word. You can request, with enough advanced notice, just about any speciality food that can be found.

I love, at lunch, to request a particular dessert with dinner, say cherries jubilee, or bananas foster. And as its being prepared you can hear even first time Queens Grills guests say "I didn't see that on the menu."

If you want Beef Wellington, tomorrow night ask for it at tonights dinner.

There is a special ala carte menu, and you can order off it anytime you wish, and yes it has a proper caviar service.

And finally in the grills accomodation, the luncheon and dinner menus arrive each morning in your suite. You have time to think about both lunch and dinner to make your selections and if you should desire, you can have your grills meal, in your suite as room service. I don't want to miss the fun, however.

I hope this answers your question.

Mike

In the QG, you simply view the menu as Italians view road signs, just there as a suggestion.

Surprisingly, on the QV in December there was no "Christmas" menu, so after discussions with the Maitre d' (Ico) I wrote out what we thought should be there and the next evening we had our very own festive dinner including individual Christmas pudding with real brandy (hic) sauce.

You may also dine in room (from the QG menu) and will be served by your butler.

...but, as warned before, only do it if you are prepared to give Mr Cunard thousands of pounds for evermore, as you won't go back down.

Stewart

If it's on board, you can have it, at any meal time.

Hi there - i've not experienced the QG dining experience (but hopefully will experience it one day) but as a PG diner, we had no problem in ordering something "off menu" when requested. In fact my husband was asking the waiter if there was likely to be a beef wellington served during our trip. when told it wasn't on the menu we carried on enjoying what was on the menu. the next day, the waiters brought us a Beef Wellington, specially prepared by the chef in the grill. My betting is that if there is something that you fancy that is not on the menu, a polite word/enquiry would conjure up your hearts desire - it seemed to me that our waiters just couldn't do enough for us - hard to imagine how it could be topped at the QG (but more than happy to find out).

Overall the PG accommodation/dining is a very very nice experience. I know the QG rooms are slightly bigger (depending on the grade) but we were more than happy to book up again for the PG. I'm afraid that if we did book the QG then we would be hooked for life and there would be no going back. The difference in price is not that much from a P1 to Q5 (or is it 4?) and we think that we may book up next years cruise and treat ourselves to the Queens Grill accommodation. In the meantime we have booked another PG for our September cruise and we are both really looking forward to the experience. Whatever you choose I know it will be fab.

Although my bank manager probably will not allow me to book QG, as opposed to D7 (or free upgrade), as a solo cruiser I wonder if any one has booked QG solo, and how did they cope at meal time, did they sit alone at a table for one? It does seem reading the passengers in QG are either couples or foursomes.

I know I would think I had died and gone to heaven if I could ever have afteroon tea in the QG!

Lynn

Although my bank manager probably will not allow me to book QG, as opposed to D7 (or free upgrade), as a solo cruiser I wonder if any one has booked QG solo, and how did they cope at meal time, did they sit alone at a table for one? It does seem reading the passengers in QG are either couples or foursomes.

I know I would think I had died and gone to heaven if I could ever have afteroon tea in the QG!

Lynn

Last November, when we were upgraded from PG to QG, we had requested a table for six. And we got it, except that it turned out to be a table for seven because we were joined by a single lady who had booked a Q4 Penthouse cabin all for herself. Lucky her. Don't know what dining preference she had requested, but her choices were probably limited to having one of the tables for two to herself or to joining one of the tables for six. The tables for six are round so it's easy to add a seventh chair (especially since all the chairs with arms were replaced by chairs without arms). The tables for four are square and won't fit a fifth, at least not a fifth that's too big for a high-chair.

P.S. I look forward to meeting you one of these days aboard QM2, Lynn. And when we do, please be our guest for tea in QGL whenever you care to take tea.

Lynn

Lynn,

I was on the Christmas/New Year's voyage and in Queens Grill. I had asked to be put on with other singles. My request was not met for the first night, but from the second night on I was seated with other singles. Having said that, I would not have had a problem at a table for two. To be able to come and go as I please means a great deal to me, and it is difficult to do when dining with others in a polite society.

Accommodation in the Grill cabins afford you the opportunity for a more intimate experience, not only for dining, but even in the Grill Lounge, a smaller venue more easily conducive to conversation without the steady stream of activity that occurs in the larger lounges. This is not to say that I do not enjoy the Pub, the Commodore, or the Chart Room, because I do. It is just nice to have the choice. Also, in the Grill Lounge there are frequent guest entertainers not available in other venues. The afternoon tea is more peaceful and attentive, although I have enjoyed it in the Queens Room, especially when there was a tea dance.

For those who enjoy the sun (there is also a great shade area), the Grills Sun Deck is a lovely haven. In the morning fruit kabobs are served, tea sandwiches pre-lunch and lunch time, ice cream in the afternoon. Just little perks that add to the experience. One of my table mates, and a couple from another table nearby, had a great time up there. We are getting together in a few weeks in Manhattan (one gal coming over from England for the weekend).

I follow your posts and enjoy them very much. You are a very brave and lovely lady. I do hope some day you get to try either PG or QG. If not, I do believe ithat f you are aboard with Paul and his wife (PB82) he will share a lovely time with you in the Grills Lounge.

Regards,

Jeanne

Lynn

I have never booked QG alone on QM2, but I did on QE2 about two years before she retired. I chose a table for one, and it was delightful. There were tables for four on either side of me, and -- after a moment or two -- got to know the tables on the right and left. The tables were nicely spaced, but not that far apart, and basically it became a nice tablefor nine. I was left alone when I wanted to be, but the people on either were lovely, and we chatted a little each evening. The waiters were very solicitious, and I was perfectly comfortable the entire time.

In short, I had no problem being at a table for one, in fact enjoyed it very much, and would probably book the same way were I travellling alone again.

Are PG passengers allowed to use the Grills lounge & deck? Also, is bottled water complimentary in PG?

Oh... and another question, can you request a table for two in PG?

Based on our QM2 experience the answers are yes, yes, I don't know, and yes.

• 1 month later...

:oThe Princess Grill does not have complimentary beverages as does the Queens Grill. Also Caviar is free(nightly, if you wish)in Queens Grill, but only for 1 night in Princess. I believe they are doing away with Russian Caviar & switching to American(which is actually quite good).

You can go off menu in Princess, but you may get charged a fee. This last part surprises me, as the brochure says feel free to ask the staff to "prepare a meal just for you" In Princess they will, but you may get charged for it. I do wish they would bring back the mid morning "Bouillon service" at least in the Grills. I've never had it, but feel it would really harken back to the good old days.I do plan on asking for it on our Nov.27th cruise.The afternoon tea is better in the Grills,as there is a tea "menu' you can choose from.We are doing a Q6(or better)on our Nov. trip.

I've met people who prefer the Princess Grill. They say it's more intimate

than Queens Grill. We will find this out later this year. Hope to see some of you there. Look for us at the "FOD" meetings in the Commodore Club.

Archived